Crater Lake, Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crater Lake, Oregon

Crater Lake is quite a site to behold and, yes, it really is this blue! The lake is the product of a 7,700 year-old collapse of volcanic Mt. Mazama, leaving a 2,000 foot deep lake surrounded by 2,000 foot high cliffs.

We camped at Joseph H. Stewart State Park, which is located on Lost Creek Reservoir about 30 miles southwest of the lake. This is a fantastic campground - maybe a little open for tent camping, but great if you have kids because it has a great playground. And, of course, there's fishing in the reservoir.

In between Joseph H. Stewart State Park and Crater Lake is Natural Bridge Viewpoint, where the wild Upper Rogue River disappears into a series of underground lava tubes and surges back to the surface several hundred feet downstream. There's some great hiking here, too.

About 30 miles due north of Crater Lake is Diamond Lake and the Diamond Lake Lodge. The lodge is your classic 1930's era structure, with all of the classic activities that you would expect; paddle boats, sailing, swimming, etc. It's a great place to go for an afternoon picnic.

This entire area is a recreational dream, with miles of hiking and riding trails and an equal amount of fire breaks for ATV's and dirtbikes. There are also a lot of sights to see, so if you're going be sure to allot plenty of time!

Crater Lake Oregon

Howdy Scrib,

Man, your photos along with the story is very good! Great job in posting! I was there in 1982 for a weekend and your photos are stunning! Excellent work! Keep them coming the photos and the stories!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Crater Lake

My wife and I flew down to SAC and picked up my kids in June 2004 (from my ex-wife). We made a weekend trip to Crater Lake and some of the roads were still closed off by snow. The following weekend, we went up to Mt. St. Helens. We packed up and moved back to my home in Arkansas in late July 2004. I do miss the variety of landscapes that Oregon offered, especially as a photographer. I do plan to return to Crater Lake in the future though and hopefully get to spend some time on the trail.
      Scott W. McClure
      Photographer/Scoutmaster Troop 202
      Eagle Scout-BSA/Order of the Arrow-Vigil Honor Member

"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and only so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either." The late Galen Rowell.

Comment

Working...
      X