Allegheny NF: Dispersed Primitive Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allegheny NF: Dispersed Primitive Camping

This will be my first post to this forum, so please, be patient with me, and if I'm not using proper nomenclature or lingo, then correct me! Now that THAT's done with....

My fiancé and I are tent campers. Two years ago, we started using our vacations to visit/camp the United States' National Forests (So far have done Wayne National, and Shawnee National). We try to camp close to where we park because, while we love nature and camping, we tend to go kind of "gear heavy", and there are just some creature comforts we'd rather not go without (campfire tripod with dutch oven, percolator, air mattress, etc...some wouldn't even call it camping what we do). We also camp with our dog, and she has a condition that causes random seizures, so we like to stay within 1/4mile (TOPS) from the car so we could get outta dodge if anything happened. BUT (and it's kind of a big "but") we like to maintain some privacy; we're quiet people, we don't "get rowdy" in the woods like some people, and while that's fine if that's what you have on your docket, we'd rather not be subjected to it.

All that being said, this summer (august) we're planning to go to Allegheny National Forest. Having never been there, can anyone who has camped it, or knows of anyone who has, shed some light on where we might be able to find a good, proximate, site? Really, any info about the forest AT ALL would be helpful, and very much appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

Re: Allegheny NF: Dispersed Primitive Camping

Hi and welcome sesperry,

Well it sounds like due to various needs you won't be dispersed camping at that National Forest and there is nothing wrong w/ that. That is unless your priorities change.

I've never stayed at that Forest but can give you some general info for picking a campsite:

Try to find a map to the campgrounds and peruse the sites to find one further away from the developed areas but not near a highway or outside traffic road. Then look at the campground via Google Earth. Based on your stated needs it sounds like Minister's Camp might better fit this trip.

HTH and have fun out there!
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-15-2016, 04:37 PM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Google earth! YES! I always forget about that! Thank you so much for the tip Nycgrrl. Yeah, we definitely do "camping-lite" as opposed to the hard core backpacking trip. It suits us just fine for now, but I would like to try backpacking more seriously eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
        Hi and welcome sesperry,

Well it sounds like due to various needs you won't be dispersed camping at that National Forest and there is nothing wrong w/ that. That is unless your priorities change.

I've never stayed at that Forest but can give you some general info for picking a campsite:

Try to find a map to the campgrounds and peruse the sites to find one further away from the developed areas but not near a highway or outside traffic road. Then look at the campground via Google Earth. Based on your stated needs it sounds like Minister's Camp might better fit this trip.

HTH and have fun out there!
        Why not dispersed camping? I have never left the confines of Arizona but as a car (truck) camper I exlcusivly disperse camp. I can't imagine the rules are all that different in the NE National Forests. Basically find a spot off a forest road and set up camp. I have had good success using Google Earth to scout out some good spots and often can even see other people's photos from the area.

Is it any different out your way?
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Looks like the dispersed camping there as they are here. Any where unless the area is closed. I would look here for more information.
          http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/alle...=6083&actid=34
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
          X