Camping spots near NYC for New Yorkers without a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping spots near NYC for New Yorkers without a car

Good article on some camping spots near NYC if public transit is your main means of transportation. I think some of these would be accessible by train/bike as well instead of the suggested train/taxi.

http://www.foundry35.com/blogs/blog/...-without-a-car

Re: Camping spots near NYC for New Yorkers without a car

Good source of information in one neat package:cool:.

Re-learned of some new to me spots: Clarence Fahnestock is a place I considered for camping decades back and then forgot about.
    Wildwood, place of many a cookout with various groups but honestly never even realised camping was offered.
    Croton Point, another place I've been to (it's down the road from one of my sisters' homes) but also dinna know you could camp there.

I'll add two possibilities to the list:

Floyd Bennet AF which is part of the Federal Gateway Park. Haven't camped there (it's a new amenity) but have gardened there, LOL. Take the Flatbush Avenue (NOT the New Lots train!!!) #2 or #5 to the last stop. Cross Flatbush Avenue and take the Q35 bus heading in the direction of King's Plaza/Riis Beach. Ask the bus driver to let you off at the closest campground entry point.

Hammonasset SP, in CT. Take the Metro North to New Haven Union Station; switch to Shoreline East to either Madison, Clinton or Guilford stops in that order of preference; your stop will depend on the train schedule. Walk or cycle the
    Shoreline Greenway Trail directly to the park from Madison or Guilford; there is no bike access from Clinton yet but you can cycle along the Boston Post Rd aka Route 1 from any train station.

No bike? Take a taxi from the Shoreline East to the camp ground.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
    X