Family Camping in MD and VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Camping in MD and VA

Here are a few reviews of campgrounds we have visited in the last 5 years.

GREENBRIER STATE PARK, MD
    We frequent this park for quick camping getaways. It is centrally located for all of our friends residing in the Metro DC area. The campground is located in the mountains and the campground always feels like we have left civilization behind (just a little bit). We enjoy the lake and find the facilities very clean.

CUNNINGHAM FALLS STATE PARK, MD
    We also frequent this part for quick getaways and I prefer this park over Greenbrier. I love the wonderful hiking opportunities, especially the waterfalls. The lake is great and provides excellent activities.

ROCKY GAP STATE PARK, MD
    An amazing park. The sites are well sized and the location is beautiful. The lake and park facilities are great and we had a great experience despite the torrential rains we survived.

POINT LOOK OUT STATE PARK, MD
    Visited August 2012 and left after 1 day......too many mosquitoes. Our three day camping trip with multiple families ruined by the bugs. We have camped many many times and never experienced a mosquito problem like this. The sites are surrounded by marshy swamp and are breeding grounds. It's really too bad because the park is beautiful and the beach nice - but we will NOT be back.

YOGI BEAR JELLYSTONE PARK AT NATURAL BRIDGE
    This was our family's first visit (July 19-21). We have 2 sons (12 & 8) and they both enjoyed all of the activities. 

Bathrooms: Late in the evening the bathrooms were a little wet and slightly "yucky." We found that they were better in the morning and the middle of the day.
    Acceptable Pool and Slides: Our boys loved the wet activities and we hung at the pool on Saturday morning.

Lake: We have played in many different lakes and this lake was pretty clean. It was not mucky and I could actually feel sand under my feet.

Game room: The game room was clean but a little dated. Still my 8 year old enjoyed playing and winning tickets.

Tubing: Tubing down James River was fun and took about 3 hours. It is a little expensive but within the typical price range of other tubing adventures we have had.

Scheduled Activities: We also enjoyed lots of great activities. The kids loved the wet wagon ride and it was a real highlight for us. There was a glow stick party on Saturday night and they enjoyed dancing and listening to music. 

It did rain twice on Saturday but despite the weather we were able to really enjoy our stay. We will return.

POHICK BAY REGIONAL PARK CAMPGROUND (ARLINGTON, VA)
    We camp with family and friends every summer and this was a good pick for us.
We visited the park in late June.

The Positive:
Pohick is centrally located and accessible for folks in VA, MD and DC. The park is clean and we really enjoyed the water park. We stayed at the water park all day Saturday. At the campground, there is a large green area with a playground and lots of space for kids playing kickball and Frisbee. We also enjoyed a wonderful nature walk down to the water. 

The Negative: Although most of the sites are a good size and flat, a few on the outer ring are especially small and uneven. Our site was odd and we struggled to find a good level spot for our tent. The next time (and we will come back) we will look for a site on the inner ring next to the open green field. 

We will be back.

FORT WHALEY CAMPGROUND, OCEAN CITY, MD
    My family (me, hubby, and 2 boys) camped at FW August 9-14. Our site was large enough for our big tent and canopy; however, our friends were on sites that were significantly smaller and were frustrated. It rained the first night -- a huge T-storm flooded our friend's tent. Fortunately, they were able to join us for the night. And even though we remained dry we got in our SUV for a while because I was concerned about the lightening given that we were under trees. We walked through 5-6 inches of rainwater. The good news was that once worst of the storm passed we were fine.

The showers were a huge NEGATIVE. The water barely got hot enough and we had to keep hitting the button to make the water stay on. As a positive, I will say that the bathrooms were kept clean.
Our kids went swimming one night but the pool is very small. We did not try the free putt-putt but the grounds did not look well kept.
The store was well stocked and we enjoyed ice cream one night. The WIFI never worked for us. My hubby used the Laundromat and found that the machines were exceptionally old and the room bug infested. Three nights later we went to Frontier Town to use the Laundromat and discovered that it was much better, ventilated, and bug free.

The staff was friendly and they had plenty of planned activities for the kids. The location of FW is great. We went to OC, Assateague Island, and even Cape May in NJ.

We took advantage of the water park at Frontier Town (twice) and had a wonderful time.
Fort Whaley was not awful but I think we will stay at Frontier Town next time.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by luv2scrapinva; 08-21-2013, 09:10 PM.

Re: Family Camping in MD and VA

How are the sites at Greenbrier SP? Are they close or do you have some privacy? Is the campground noisy with party-people and kids running around?

If you're a tent camper, you may like Maple Tree Campground. It's only tent sites and tree houses. It's near Harper's Ferry, so lots of things to do nearby! http://www.thetreehousecamp.com/

P.S. Thank you for posting your summary!! very helpful
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
      How are the sites at Greenbrier SP? Are they close or do you have some privacy? Is the campground noisy with party-people and kids running around?

If you're a tent camper, you may like Maple Tree Campground. It's only tent sites and tree houses. It's near Harper's Ferry, so lots of things to do nearby! http://www.thetreehousecamp.com/

P.S. Thank you for posting your summary!! very helpful
      You are most welcome and thanks for the Maple Tree suggestion. Some sites at Greenbrier are larger and more private than others but we have generally found the sites to be relatively private. Here is a pic that may give you an idea:

Last edited by luv2scrapinva; 08-23-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the pic! A co-worker told me about camping at Rocky Gap. She absolutely loves it there. I'll try to plan a trip there sometime. Likely they close the end of October, so I'll have to visit them next year.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Rocky Gap is worth the wait. Amazing camping experience.

Comment

For Maryland, I have to chime in with Green Ridge State Forest. GPS Coordinates. 100 sites spread over 47,000+ acres, including 7 group sites for groups of 20 or more. I've camped at dozens of different sites over the years, each with their own charm. There are small and back off the road sites, huge and right near the highway sites and everything in between. As long as you don't need hookups and bathhouses (you can get porta-pottys at the groups sites), there are sites for every taste. Aside from it's relatively easy access for me, I think what I like most about Green Ridge is that there are very few sites so close together that you can see your neighbor. In fact, we rarely even hear other people when we're there.

Other stuff to do:
            • There are several trails to check out that run from 4 to 18 miles, plus a handicap overlook right behind the ranger's station.
            • The gun range is open every day but Tuesday.
            • Hunting and fishing. I can vouch for the fishing - I've caught some nice size smallmouth bass and some decent trout in both the river and some of the feeder creeks.
            • Canoeing - with a shuttle available in-season for a 5 mile and a 9 mile trip.
            • Horseback riding
            • Mountain biking anywhere in the park with one dedicated 18 mile long bike trail.

Lastly, a couple of things the gang and I always laugh about -
            • If you're lazy and don't feel like cooking, there's a decent restaurant and convenience store right off highway 68 at the Exxon station on Orleans Road. Breakfast is especially good. Sausage gravy and biscuits!
            • We've also gotten to the point in our "later years" where we don't bother cutting and dragging wood through the trees anymore. There are a few locals selling hardwood cheap enough to make all the extra effort of getting our own seem kind of stupid.

Comment

Stopped here a couple of weeks ago while on my way to Gaithersburg. 15 Mile Creek Campground is now on the bucket list for next year. Would love to go out on the creek and watch the sunrise.Click image for larger version

Name:	15mc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	69830Click image for larger version

Name:	15mc3.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	69829Click image for larger version

Name:	15mc2.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	69828
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I enjoy Cunningham Falls as well. Mac, thanks for sharing Green Ridge SP. That one went on "the list".

Comment

Wow, this is an excellent description of the DC area campgrounds. I have friends who camp there. Naturally, these places can be more crowded than campgrounds in less populated areas, but it is excellent that they exist at all. Go to Tokyo or Paris or London or almost any other nation's capital and see what kind of outdoor activities and camping are available within 50 miles - NOTHING.

Thanks for taking the time to write about these places, Luv2scrap

Comment

Working...
                  X