Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a camp in western Virginia

Hi!

I'm looking for a camp in western virginia (three or less hours out of D.C. ideally). This is for car camping, not backcountry. If anyone knows of a campgrounds that has the following, please let me know!

* Open all year round
    * has toilets and showers (showers not a dealbreaker)
    * allows fires in fire rings
    * allows alcohol (not a dealbreaker)
    * preferably in a mountainous or woodsy area (I looked up Elizabeth Furnace on google earth and it seems to be surrounded by farms. I was hoping for a less farm-y drive lol.)
    * I don't want my campsite to be within sight of lots of RVs

Camp in a certain state

Howdy Virginia,

Did ya check out state parks.com? Give that a try. Hope it helps. Just a shot, okay that'll be a whiskey, thank you! Evan Williams if ya don't mind!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

you didn't say when you would be going but when you do tell us about where you camped. you might even post a picture or three
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Virginiacamper, we have camped up on Skyline Drive. There is a camp grounds called "Big Meadows". It's less than 3 hours from DC. I live in Manassas and it takes us about 2 hours to get there. Mostly because of the 20 mile stretch along the mountain on Skyline drive. You can camp right next to your car. google skyline drive or big meadows camp ground.

Comment

Camping in Virginia State Parks

Very few public campgrounds in Virginia are open year round. All of the national park campgrounds close at least by the end of December and don't open until after March. All of the developed Virginia State Parks campgrounds close the first Monday in December and reopen March 1. The few Virginia State Parks that are open are our primitive campgrounds which means no showers and no flush toilets. We have one exception to that general rule - Shenandoah River State Park (south of Front Royal in Bentonville) keeps its bathhouse open year round. However, you have to park in a parking lot and walk a short way to the campsite so your cartop camper won't work. We have one primitive campground that does not involve at least a short hikein but it is outside of your driving distance - James River State Park. Find out about both at www.VirginiaStateParks.gov

Comment

Working...
          X