Car camping in Lincoln NE with dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car camping in Lincoln NE with dog?

Moving to Lincoln in August but need a place to stay cheap for a week or so (hopefully not very long!) while I find a place to rent permanently. I'm coming from Australia, so I have no clue on US camp places. I'll be staying with family in Arkansas when I arrive in the US, getting a car, then heading up to Lincoln.

I'm also coming with my dog, so I figured a pet friendly camp ground would be easier than a hotel/motel. We're fine to sleep in the car, just need somewhere to park it, and access to bathrooms/showers etc. I'll have the dog crate set up in the car too so I think it's manageable..

Are there any good campgrounds in Lincoln that are pet friendly? And would they be booked out/full in August? I don't want somewhere overly crowded... I'll also be taking the car out each day so it'd look like no ones on my camp spot through the day... Am I better off setting "something" up to make it known someone IS there in the spot? I've very rarely gone camping here, and never gone alone either. The dog is a bit reactive to strangers, he's very fearful of things/people, but we try and manage..

I'm going to be getting a Subaru Forester, so we'll be camping in that. I was going to figure out something to stick up on the car windows at night to keep the light out & for more privacy etc + the dog crate, I can just cover the crate too if he starts freaking out too much.

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated! This is really the only option I can think of for the move to Lincoln and to find a place, it'd be quite hard to find a place & inspect while based with family in Arkansas. Definitely also hoping to do lots more camping trips with the dog once we're settled in! Kayaking would be fun too!

Thanks!

Re: Car camping in Lincoln NE with dog?

Your biggest challenge is going to be getting your dog through USA customs and quarantine. Bringing pets internationally is an expensive and risky challenge

Once you do get your pet here, most campgrounds both public and private are pet friendly. The rule is that your pet must be on a leash or in a cage at all times in developed campgrounds.

I am not sure if I understand your post correctly, but if you plan to leave you dog in a cage at camp unattended while you go into town for several hours, that would be a bad idea, especially in the USA. If your dog is a nuisance barker, you might be asked to leave, but if you leave an unattended barking dog alone at camp, there might not be any "asking" involved.

Don't plan to leave your dog in a cage inside your car in Nebraska in August for extended periods of time Nebraska is hotter than Lucifer's fry pan in August. You would likely return to your car with a dead dog inside your car or a policeman outside your car or both
    Last edited by Mike; 01-27-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Re: Car camping in Lincoln NE with dog?

this is a college town, you wont have to work too hard to find a place to rent, in august however may be a slight challenge with school just starting. The dog however will be challenging. Most places don't allow pets. There are plenty of state campgrounds locally and in town. Camping in a car in August will not be pleasurable.

Comment

Working...
      X