Family camping in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family camping in Texas

My husband and I used to go camping for vacation before we had our son. We went canoeing down the Brazos for our honeymoon in fact. Now my son will be 2 in May and we are planning a family vacation and would like for it to be camping of some sort. Cost effective and outdoors is always good with a toddler! We have our tent and while it is a bit small for our family of 3 and our dog we can make it work but I would really like a screened shelter for this first time camping with our son. I think it will be the best bet.

We live in Fort Worth Texas and don't want to have to be in the car to long. Ideally i wanted to go camp on the ocean but the 7+ hour drive I think will be to long for our son right now so somewhere closer to home would be best.

Must allow dogs. Our dog goes with us everywhere and he is one of the reasons we are wanting to do a family camping vacation

A shelter would be nice but is not a must. It would just really help.

Maybe add why we should choose this place and what our son and dog would like.

We just need to get away from the city for a few days this summer. Thanks!

Re: Family camping in Texas

Start here:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/

Comment

Blanco State Park a great family park. Its one of my favorite TX Parks we have camped here many times over the years. The park is right at the edge of the little town of Blanco so if you need any supplys a store is close. Might be a little far from Ft Worth but you would enjoy the park its nice and the river is beautiful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blanco State Park @ Blanco, TX.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	69500
      The screened shelters are above the river look close and you can see the top of one

Name:	Blanco River (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	69501

I enlarged this so the screened shelter shows up better

Name:	Blanco River.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	69502

This shows more of the swiming area of the Blanco river in the fore ground is a shallow pool that is nice for small children. Up above the river you can see the FHU camping area. they also have tent camping to the right of the trailers. the bathrooms are nice with hot water.

Name:	Blanco River (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	69503

Comment

I'm not sure how close to you these are but Inks Lake State Park and Pedernales Falls State Park are two of my summertime family's favorites. If you go in the summer I would definitely make it a must to go somewhere with swimming, which knocks out some of my other favorites like enchanted rock.
        ~Native Texan Camper, Currently in Miami~
        usbmemorydirect.com

Comment

Those places listed above, and McKinney Falls SP, 13 miles SE of Austin. Beautiful, shady campsites and great hiking. And dont forget to check out the historical ruins!

Comment

Another area you might consider is Dinosaur Valley S.P. just a little west of Glen Rose...looked at the website and it looks like
            a kid friendly camping area...there are dinosaur tracks along and in the river and some age appropriate activities...
            looks like it would be fun for kids as well as of interest to adults...
            have never been there but have heard of it...not too long of a drive from Ft. Worth, about an hour or so...also pet-friendly

Comment

Working...
            X