Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping and Hiking in Texas

Hi all,

I am new to the US and this forum, I am though not new to camping but have only done it in Europe.

I was hoping that someone could help me with a couple of questions.

I wanted to take my boy (14y) camping and hiking. What I was thinking is a 1-2 day hike through forest (and mountainous) area where we could camp (Tent) where we would like and build fire, even try to catch some fish. Preferably not crowded.

That is, we would like to get the feeling that we are alone and need to fend for ourselves if you get my drift.

I live in Houston, so hopefully not to far away

Got any ideas?

Re: Camping and Hiking in Texas

My friend tried camping at Lost Maples in Vanderpool, TX last year. It's about 5 hours away from Houston. They got a campground inside the park itself for tent campers. My friend said it's really nice during this time of the year because of the fall leaves colors. Hope this helps.

Comment

Lost Maples near Vanderpool is a great place, been there many times both backcountry & car camping. Great hiking, beautiful views and lots of solitude.
      Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg is another great destination. Best to go during the week when it's not as crowded. Dont even try to visit in the fall/winter months on a saturday, you'll be waiting for hours. 5 miles of trails, and who doesn't like standing atop a large rock?

Comment

I have not been to Lost Maples since highschool in 2005. My family and I are going there next weekend and are hoping to do some family hiking. I ll be carrying my ruck sack and my wife will be carrying our 2 year old in a baby carrier. Are there any trails suitable for that?

Comment

Working...
        X