Tent Camping in TX, OK, or ARK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping in TX, OK, or ARK

Some Dallas folks looking for a place in Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas to do a little tent camping. Would like to have some peace and quiet and nice scenery, not a place where people are stacked right up on one another. Can anyone recommend a place?

Tent camping in TX

I too am from Dallas and recently went to Purtis Creek State Park. Kind of a small lake but very nice. Had a few camp sites for RV's and such. They also have what they call primitive camp sites further out from where everyone else camps and they run along the edge of the lake. Very quiet since there is a 50 boat limit on the lake and no one can go above idle speed. I was out in my canoe and you could hear a pin drop. Highly recommended if you like bass or catfishing too.

Comment

Ive been camping in Lake Stubblefield park lately. Its in New Waverly, which is about 45 minutes North of Houston on I45. They do have a regular camping area that can get a little packed, but they also have an overflow area which is alot more spaced out. The overflow is a little more rough too. No electricity or water.

Comment

Re: Tent Camping in TX, OK, or ARK

HELLO we are also looking for Tent camping in Texas, mostly the Houston/ Galveston area. Ideally we would like to be right beside a lake or a river with electrical hook up and fishing. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

THANK YOU! :D

Comment

Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg, TX
          Lost Maples near Vanderpool, TX
          South Llano River SP near Junction, TX.

Comment

You can get top 100 campgrounds of U.S on this sitehttp://www.tripleblaze.com/best/?s=2

Looking for best Campgrounds in Texas

Comment

i think this is good resource

Comment

My favorite place (so far) in the Houston area is Huntsville State Park just south of Huntsville TX. It's situated in the Sam Houston National Forest and surrounds Lake Raven. They have fishing, a boat ramp, a swimming hole, horse stables, and lots of camping. I tend to favor the Coloneh camping area of the park. It's on the other end of the park from the boat ramp and all the other things, but there is a fishing pier there, and has a trailhead right there. It's not usually crowded unless you go on a holiday, or other event like scouts or geocashing convention.
                Fishing Pier

Campsite #98
                Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Looks like a nice place to camp.
                  2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Originally posted by cl1975 View Post
                    Some Dallas folks looking for a place in Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas to do a little tent camping. Would like to have some peace and quiet and nice scenery, not a place where people are stacked right up on one another. Can anyone recommend a place?
                    With all due respects, Texas and Oklahoma are God-aweful places to camp with the heat, poisonous snakes, scorpions, ticks, chiggers, tornadoes, wild-fires, lack of shade, and all. Those things topped with camping among those crazy damned Okies makes for some unpredictable adventure even if all you wanted was some peaceful camping. I've done plenty of Oklahoma/Texas camping, but folks, there are options...

Anyway, one of the better places to camp is Sulphur Springs in Oklahoma. I believe it is part of Platt National Park in the Chickasaw National Recreation Area.

The area is wooded and the swimming/wading is cool and good. There is always a snapping turtle to be discovered below the surface just to keep the kids entertained. Might want to make them wear shoes just to be on the cautious side...

Another camping area that is sure to include adventure is Eisenhower State Park on Lake Texoma in Texas. Actually, there are several campgrounds on this muddy resevoir bordering Texas and Oklahoma. Lake Texoma has some of the biggest catfish you will find anywhere and some people claim the catfish are so big, they use stray dogs for bait. For this reason, trot lines threaded long into the lake and in channels is not uncommon, so don't go swimming willie-nillie or you might get caught in the trot lines or jug lines used to catch the monster catfish or the ugly alligator gar fish.

I also saw the biggest fattest cotton-mouth snakes ever at Lake Texoma. These snakes are mean, aggressive and poisonous, so keep your eyes open. They are one of the few snakes that will go out of their way to slither up to a person and bite them just to be ornery. That's no lie.

Camping in Texas and Oklahoma. God bless ya. Camping in Arkansas might be a little better with the Ozark mountains, but it is hard to beat the sheer adventure of a day camping in a land that explorer Hernando De Soto called "Unfit for Human Civilization" - a land we now call Oklahoma and Texas.
                    Last edited by Mike; 10-07-2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Texas... we are a whole other country...LOL. Those are some of the things I love about Texas. Especially West Texas. We have less shade out here but fewer skeeters. Less rain, more fires. And living in the Permian Basin.... it is an aquired taste. The rugged beauty doesn't appeal to everyone. I love it though.

WT
                      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                        Texas... we are a whole other country...LOL. Those are some of the things I love about Texas. Especially West Texas. We have less shade out here but fewer skeeters. Less rain, more fires. And living in the Permian Basin.... it is an aquired taste. The rugged beauty doesn't appeal to everyone. I love it though.

WT
                        Ya, I used to live in south central. I loved it at the time and still reminisce, but when I moved, it really opened my eyes and opened up a lot of opportunities for me.

I know what you mean about it being rugged. It takes tough folks to live there. I think about the original settlers. OMG, what were they thinking, trying to scratch out a living in that clay, dust, and heat. Today, of course, things are more comfortable, but it wasn't that long ago when people were living without running water or electricity and pounded at the hard clay to get beans to grow. I sure knew plenty of them when I was a boy.

Comment

I grew up in central Texas with the clay and humidity. Moved out here to West Texas 11 years ago and this is a whole other country from central. We have caliche here and to dig a post hole for my fence, I went and got a jackhammer...LOL. But, we don't have the humidity of central Texas so the heat aint as hard felt and we have less skeeters out here. Down side is no water anywhere. We are headed out in couple of weeks to go fishin and will have to drive 2-1/2 hours to get to the closest lake.

Also was talking to a guy out here few years ago. He was one of those old timers that I always like just talking to and listening to their stories. He was telling me about growing up out here with no electricity or running water. And I thought it was bad growing up north of Bryan/College Station when they would run cable television out as far as we lived...LOL.

Myself, I couldn't ever imagine leaving here. I love visiting other parts of the states, but won't ever call anywhere else home. Couldn't imagine what winters are like up there in your parts...
                          "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                            I grew up in central Texas with the clay and humidity. Moved out here to West Texas 11 years ago and this is a whole other country from central. We have caliche here and to dig a post hole for my fence, I went and got a jackhammer...LOL. But, we don't have the humidity of central Texas so the heat aint as hard felt and we have less skeeters out here. Down side is no water anywhere. We are headed out in couple of weeks to go fishin and will have to drive 2-1/2 hours to get to the closest lake.

Also was talking to a guy out here few years ago. He was one of those old timers that I always like just talking to and listening to their stories. He was telling me about growing up out here with no electricity or running water. And I thought it was bad growing up north of Bryan/College Station when they would run cable television out as far as we lived...LOL.

Myself, I couldn't ever imagine leaving here. I love visiting other parts of the states, but won't ever call anywhere else home. Couldn't imagine what winters are like up there in your parts...
                            I am very happy to know that you have found that special place AND you get to live there. That is real bliss.

Comment

Have you tried Lake Eufaula and some of the smaller camp sites around it like mill creek bay, it's west of Eufaula on highway 9 then South 2 or 3 miles

Comment

Working...
                              X