"Real" Camping in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Real" Camping in Missouri

Hi Guys! New to the forums here. I love to camp but have not been in a very long time. I am looking for a place to do some "real" camping. By that, I mean in the woods, nobody else around, peeing outside, etc. I live in the St. Louis metro area. Anyone else know of any good places around like that?

Re: "Real" Camping in Missouri

Thanks HogSnapper! That sounds awesome! And, that isn't too far from me. That appears to only be about 2 hours away from me. There appears to be different districts in MTNF. Can you recommend any areas there that you have been to and/or like the best? Thanks!
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

HogSnapper, does it cost anything to disperse camp in MTNF? I was on their website looking to see if I had to make reservations or pay anything, but couldn't find any information like that. I think my buddy and I are going to head down there this spring and try it out. Can I ask a couple of quick questions? First of all, according to the website they request that you don't build fire rings out of rocks. So, how do you keep your fire contained without the use of a fire ring? Also, can you park next to your campsite or is it the sort of thing where you park and then have to hike in to your site. Just wondering so I can decide what kind of gear to take. I don't want to take 50 pounds of gear if I am going to have to carry it for a couple miles.

Comment

also check parking regs for such places,
        some places are more friendly than others,

while the forests are fed lands, many times the roads/parking areas at trail heads are state issues and have their own policy,

Comment

also good to have email/tel# of local rangers office,
          while i dont have much fed lands nearby , I email/call local state rangers in PA and NY often with various questions from clarifying regulations, policy, access issues, etc...
          always more than helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X