How do I get into the "wild"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get into the "wild"?

I dont wanna live in a magic bus like Alexander supertramp but i want to get away from people, from your typical campsite, from rangers, from state parks... i just wanna be in the "wild" i live in Chicago so its not like i live in a lot of nature. I was thinking a backpacking trip in colorado or something, any ideas?

Re: How do I get into the "wild"?

If your looking to get away from people, try west Texas, east New Mexico. I just got back from Carslbad Caverns National Park. First night we hiked Yucca Canyon Trail, made it 3.5 miles out and there was not another living soul anywhere around. Granted we had to work to get there. In that short hike, we climbed 1500 feet up the mountain and just getting to the trailhead was an adventure. Low ground clearance vehicle will not make it. Also, out here, you have to bring all your water, there are no reliable water sources anywhere. But if solitude is what your looking for, this trail can't be beat.

There is also Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Big Bend National Park in Texas that are very similar on most all those aspects.

WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Re: How do I get into the "wild"?

Dude, you don't have to go to Colorado or something. Just go to any large state or national FOREST (not a park, a FOREST) in Illinois, Wisconsin, or Michigan - all within a two hour drive from Chicago.

Walk along a trail for about an hour, then turn with your back to the trail, pick a direction on the compass and start walking. Walk until you think you are far enough from people. My guess is that within an afternoon of walking, you will feel pretty alone. Set up your tent and start enjoying the wild.

Once again, Hogsnapper gives good advice. I'll add to it. If you really go deep into the woods and you don't have a campfire (use a stove) chances are no forest ranger is going to hassle you for camping. If a state ranger happens to come discover you, cry like a baby, and grab him/her by the legs and exclaim that you were lost and thank him/her for saving you. The key is to not have a campfire. That makes the difference between forgiveness and fine. I THINK that you can wilderness camp anywhere in a national FOREST (not park) legally. The rules might have changed and you should check with the park just so you know if you are breaking the law when you do it (so you know if you have to do the crying routine or not).
      Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X