Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting back to camping - WI/MN/Upper MI recommendations with shoreline fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back to camping - WI/MN/Upper MI recommendations with shoreline fishing?

Hey Folks,
    Newcomer here and first time poster. I've been reading a lot and trying to put existing posts to good use, creating a checklist of gear and other tips. It's truly a great site!

I currently live in NE Wisconsin, and I am looking to get back into camping. I have not camped since I was a kid in one of those truck campers at my hometown campground, so needless to say I'm quite rusty on the subject. I would like to try and find a handful of recommendations for tent camping, that also offer some decent shoreline fishing - I don't have a boat, but would love to try and find some areas that would offer a little solitude, the chance for some good fishing and to spend time with my dog (48lb, 2.5yr old Dakota Shepherd) hiking.

Being very new to camping, I want to break into it intelligently... meaning I don't want to start out hiking in 5 miles and learn the inevitable rookie lessons the hard way, but I don't want to have neighbors 50ft from me either lol. I'm 37, and in relatively decent shape, although throw a pack on my back and I'm sure I'll say differently by noon, lol... :D

As long as it's within a 3-6 hour dive, I'm open to the recommendation. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Getting back to camping - WI/MN/Upper MI recommendations with shoreline fishing?

Oh man, if you live in NE Wisconsin, you live in the absolute middle of camping PARADISE! No kidding. Every state park and every National park in Wisconsin is on water with water access. Nearly every state and national park campground has water-access or shoreline campsites (not all campsites are on the water, but most campgrounds have SOME of the sites on water).

It is that easy. Go, camp, fish. Period. The rangers know what kind of fish are in which lakes and most of them are avid fishermen too, so be sure to ask them. If you want to do some big water fishing, then Potawatomi State Park or Peninsula State Park have good access to the Bay of Green Bay for fishing off of piers. The water that far north is crystal clear. Two Rivers and Newport are on the Lake Michigan side and only have beach fishing access - not worth the time or trouble.

Frankly, fishing the big waters from the shore is not as fun as shore fishing the inland lakes and rivers.

All he parks allow dogs, but they have to be on a leash not longer than eight feet long.

Hey, you don't have to think or plan hard. All and I mean ALL of the National Park/Forest and State Park campgrounds in Wisconsin are excellent. In NE Wisconsin, the National Forests are Nicolet National Forest and Chequamegon National Forest. Both have excellent camping on lakes, streams, and rivers.

Of course, there are about ten Wisconsin State Campgrounds in the NE quadrant of Wisconsin. Pick any one of them.

Note that Peninsula State Park in Door County will be closed from 22 October 2012 to Memorial Day 2013 for major renovation (more campsites will have electricity, and some will have 50 amp so the RV hogs can run their washing machines and clothes dryers - honest to God! At least they won't be running their generators).

Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X