Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Michigan/Great Lake Camping

Hey guys...
    I had never been to Michigan before, but blindly moved here for school about two years ago... But after spending time on the Great Lakes and in Northern MI, it's become a one of my favorite spots. Some of the areas have beautiful, blue water beaches (without that itchy salt water)!
    If you ever get the chance to go or are planning a backpacking trip, definitely consider coming to Michigan. I think Michigan can be a hay day for outdoor lovers...

In Michigan's Upper Peninsula (which is actually connected to Wisconsin and not Michigan but that's another story...) There is a national lakeshore called Pictured Rocks that runs along many miles of lake superior. It's got miles of trails (which are all connected so you can hike the entire thing) and lakes and campgrounds, which is good for the primitive camper/backpacker or if you have an RV... Also, it has some historical sites along that the way! most of these can be reached by car so if you aren't into hiking... I spent a little bit of the summer exploring there and it's one of the best places I have camped in the U.S.

BUT COME TO MICHIGAN!
    Last edited by xckail; 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM.

Re: Northern Michigan/Great Lake Camping

Been here all my life and still haven't seen it all.

BUT COME TO MICHIGAN! Exactly right...

Comment

Love the Big 4. All five have great histories.
      http://youtu.be/hgI8bta-7aw Kilchi Gummi is of wonderful interest. And, a beauty to see. Each has its special gifts. And the northern
      shore of them has a special charm also.
      Be there, Michigan that is in a couple weeks.

Comment

You know, one of the big problems that the Michigan State Park system faces is under-utilization of the state parks in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

It is absolutely majestic beauty. If you live anywhere near the area, you really owe it to yourself to explore the majesty of the UP of Michigan. The whole area is remote. The biggest city is Marquette with a population of 19,600 people. After Marquette, populations are mostly dispersed villages of a couple hundred people or less.

The parks always have space for campers. Nearly every park has very nice rustic cabins and there is often availability even at the last moment.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has the enormous bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan on its eastern shore and Lake Superior on its northern shore. Of course, the diamond of outdoor recreation known as Wisconsin is to its southern boarder.

Comment

Working...
        X