Camping in Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping in Kentucky

Well Ive got the bug and hopefully this crazy weather will give up because Im going camping in Feb. Some where in the Mammouth Cave area. Havent decided on Pack in or vehicle but Im going unless its still freezing out side.:cool:

Re: Camping in Kentucky

The only time I really spent in KY was in the Red River Gorge area. Very beautiful place, if you're interested let me now and I'll post some information on the area on here.

Comment

Everyone is interested, go ahead, post up! Ya never know who you'll help, pard! I'm listening!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Going camping the weekend of March 26th. No idea where. Looking to drag my trailer somewhere within 2 1/2 hours of the Cincinnati area. Like to hike, geocache and generally just be outdoors. Any suggestions?
        Jim

Comment

We are camping in the Danial Boone natl. Forest and riding the Big South fork railway in June. We may try for the full moon and camp at cumberland Falls to catch the moonbow. This is the only place in North America you can see a moonbow.

Comment

John13np - I'm interested in learning more about your experiences camping around the Red River Gorge area. If you have any campground recommendations etc, please do share.

WXRTST: How was your trip down to the Daniel Boone Ntl Forest? Where did you all camp?

We are looking to go out about 3 hours from the Greater Cincinnati area for a couple of 4-day weekends before the kids go back to school at the end of August. Would really like to hear of any recommendations for tent camping if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comment

The Red River Gorge is an awesome place to be. I used to live about 20 minutes away but now it's about an hour. As far as campgrounds go, Koomers Ridge is the best place to tent camp in the gorge area. Clean sites, a bathhouse, and nice hiking trails right outside of your tent. The sites are nicely spaced and privacy is good.

The northern part of The Daniel Boone National Forest around Morehead, Ky offers great campgrounds as well, my favorite being Zilpo. Zilpo campground sits on a peninsula at Cave Run Lake. Once off the interstate the drive turns beautiful as you travel along a scenic byway. Zilpo has both electric and non-electric site options, and you can camp by the lake too if you choose. The spacing and privacy of the sites at Zilpo are top notch. You are a little bit away from things here so make sure you bring everything with you unless you don't mind driving back into the small community of Salt Lick. There's another campground called Twin Knobs on the other side of the lake that is easier and closer to get to from the interstate. The campground is set up the same way as Zilpo, but you will find more RVs here because they don't have to make the turns,ups, and downs that you do going to Zilpo. Still plenty of tent campers though, and with the set up of the sites you won't feel like you're lost in a sea of big rigs.

These are just three of my favorite places. I can go on and on about the whole Daniel Boone National Forest camping experience ..... there's some fee-free campgrounds too

Comment

I have a friend who lives in Versailles so I thought of camping my way to his house at some point. Red river gorge I particularly want to visit (even more after reading this) so I think I will camp there for 1 night. I have never visited the state before, can any recommend which road is the best/most scenic. I have time so it would be less about speed and more about the landscape, and if there are prime camping grounds that would be great too. Katoutdoors I might try and visit Zilpo if you think its good, would it be good to reserve a spot by the lake or is that not possible? I will be with my tent.

Thanks for all the recommendations, really useful!

Comment

Here's some info for Zilpo Campground on Cave Run Lake: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/docume...land/zilpo.pdf
                  In my opinion, loops Goose and Heron are the best. The map shows which sites you can reserve. I've never reserved here myself. Unless its a holiday or there is a specific site you want you really don't need to reserve. You'll get a good site. There's another campground, called Clear Creek, that you pass on the way. It's a small campground with around 20 sites I believe, but they are pretty spacious and very private. No bathhouse, just vault toilets. It has a self-pay station so you would need to carry some cash on you. Not sure about checks but I'm thinking that is a form of payment accepted too.

As far as scenic drives for The Red River Gorge: The closer you get to the area, the more scenic it gets. Driving through the gorge itself offers the best in scenery. You drive through an old railroad tunnel to start your journey (Nada Tunnel). You have to take turns going through, as it is only one lane. Being new to the area, you would greatly benefit stopping at the Gladie Learning Center. It has a lot of info on the area, like history, trails, the do's and don'ts. It also has some exhibits worth looking at. As I mentioned in my other post, Koomer Ridge is the best campground in the area. Sites are a lot like Zilpo. Koomer Ridge has a self-pay station, but there is a camp host on the premises. Here's a link for the campground:
                  http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/distri...2_09koomer.pdf
                  Of course you can always just drop by a gas station or grocery around the area and buy a pass for a small fee. Then you can camp anywhere in the gorge as long as it is 300 feet from the road, trails, or water.

Red River Gorge Link: http://www.redrivergorge.com/

Natural Bridge State Resort Park is in this are too. The bridge is a must-see. You can hike up to it or take the sky lift.
                  http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortpark...e/default.aspx

Have fun camping in Kentucky!

Comment

Elk Horn Creek Campground, Frankfort Ky. Along the creek toward the damn is shaded and private. Great early fishin.
                    Smallmouth bass. Fun to catch and a gift to the fryin pan.

Comment

We really enjoy our stays at Twin Knobs near Morehead. Nice shaded campsites with plenty of privacy, clean bath houses and a great beach. We were there over the Father's Day weekend and by 3PM Friday all but 5 sites were filled. Even when full the campground never seems crowded. We also like Zilpo but usually go Twin Knobs just because it's a little closer to town. (yes, we have to make the obligatory trip to WalMart). FYI- the camp store is "closed until further notice" according to the sign posted on the door.

Comment

Red river gorge is our favorite destination in KY. We prefer to camp at the primitive sites but there are other options. For those who really want to see it all I'd strongly recommend hiking Auxier ridge to courthouse rock, then on to double arch and if you still have time Star Gap arch is well worth stopping by.
                        Land between the lakes and Big South Fork are also great places for camping in Ky.

Comment

It sure is. We're taking our two year old up there for her second camping trip this weekend, weather permitting. In case anyone was wondering primitive camping is $5 for three nights at the Gorge.

Comment

Went camping at Lake Barkley, Eureka Campgrounds and had a blast. This is our first year living in KY and we were busy with all the stuff to do around there. The campgrounds were absolutely great, right on the water and no one was loud or partying.

Comment

i agree with the red river gorge being one of the top camping spots. my gf and i go there at least three times a year and either rent a cabin or rough it near one of the gorgeous arches.

princess arch, angel falls and courthouse rock are our favorite spots.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	69758

Comment

Working...
                              X