Camping on Lake Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping on Lake Michigan

Is it possible to camp on a beach or in a secluded area near the beach, I have always wanted to do something like this but have only been to campsites that require you to pay and have 20 people within 5 feet of your tent. Which ends up not making me feel like I am camping. I am just trying to find something to give me more of the experience of camping. Also I am in Illinois but am willing to drive to Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin to make this possible. Thanks!

I have camped at Newport State Park up in Door County Wisconsin. It fits your description perfectly. The secluded sites are a short/moderate hike. I think the one I camped at was @1mile from the trailhead. It was completely secluded and only yards from the beach.

Comment

Here in sunny Florida, most beach areas are protected, due to either the nesting critters or endangered plantlife. No vehicles allowed on the beach, and no camping! Fines are STEEP! So that reduces the chances for dispersed beach camping. :(
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I camped up there as a kid. Don't remember where but it was awesome.

Comment

Re: Camping on Lake Michigan

Check out Nordhouse Dunes north of Ludington in Michigan on Lake Michigan. You can't camp on the open sand, but it's a wilderness area with dispersed camping. Just follow the Dune Trail in from one of the parking areas until you find a place that looks attractive, walk away from the trail a ways, and make camp.

Comment

Go check out Sleep Bear Dunes National Park... it's right on the coast of Lake Michigan... Beautiful! they have some walk in sites which are secluded... the normal sites are close together... Beautiful! but the campsites aren't right on the beach though... it's a little hike to it but there are a lot of secluded spots along the shore in the park..hope that helps...
            Last edited by xckail; 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I can't comment on the Michigan side, but have heard great things about it.

On the Wisconsin side, you have the following EXCELLENT State Campgrounds with sites on the beach or very near the beach of Lake Michigan:

Harrington Beach (no on-water sites and NOT very close to the lake)
              Kohler-Andrea (no on-water sites, but close)
              Point Beach (no on-water sites, but close)
              Point Beach (on-water sites for sure)
              Rock Island (on-water sites for sure)
              Peninsula (on the bay of Green Bay with on-water sites for sure)
              Potawatomi (no on-water sites, but close)

Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X