Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that Newbies' Threads Don't Show up in the Side Bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that Newbies' Threads Don't Show up in the Side Bar?

I try to encourage people to post threads and comment when they first come to this site by welcoming and responding to them but have noted that certain thread forums don't seem to show up in the side bar's "New Posts and New Threads".

What's that about?
    Is it that I'm not paying attention or that only some forums are coded to pop up?

Also would be nice if we had a regular mod on duty again. Like really Really REALLY nice.

A more detailed explanation of the reputation policy would be useful as well. Nobody on this site has ever gone past "on a distinguished road" due in large part to site restrictions in active membership.

Just saying.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-22-2016, 10:59 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Why is it that Newbies' Threads Don't Show up in the Side Bar?

The reason why they don't show up in New Posts is because of the moderation period.

The New Posts will only show what's "new" since your last visit. If a new poster posts on Friday, but the post isn't approved until the following Wednesday (or more likely 2 or 3 weeks later), then the system doesn't consider it a new post.

I usually try to go to the direct sections every so often just to see what's been missed. If I see a newcomer's post, i'll top it so it will show up in the new post section.

I agree an active moderator would be a welcome addition to this website.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm guessing that the new threads and posts section is driven by the 5 newest (by date of the post) threads/posts.

By the time a newbie's thread is moderator approved and actually appears in a forum section, there have been 5 other "newer" threads/posts posted and they appear in the newest thread/post section (due to the newer start dates of those posts) instead of the newbie's thread, which has an older thread start date, even though it just appeared on the forum. Easy to get lost in the shuffle.

ie. the newbie's post is "old" before it even appears on the forum.

I try to go through certain forum topics (not all tho) and look for newbie's posts that are buried several threads down and bump them up by replying. The forum member toedtoes does a great job of doing this also.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        The reason why they don't show up in New Posts is because of the moderation period.

The New Posts will only show what's "new" since your last visit. If a new poster posts on Friday, but the post isn't approved until the following Wednesday (or more likely 2 or 3 weeks later), then the system doesn't consider it a new post.

I usually try to go to the direct sections every so often just to see what's been missed. If I see a newcomer's post, i'll top it so it will show up in the new post section.

I agree an active moderator would be a welcome addition to this website.
        toedtoes....you beat me to the possible explanation. lol
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

wow someone knows how the system works, think you just raised your hand to moderate

Comment

I'm already webmaster on 2 other forums and moderate on one of them. So, I know the basic workings of forums. But no, no hands raised here - I don't have time to add another moderator gig to the mix (already behind on my newsletter duties)...
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I was a moderator on a site once. They hated me. I was prone to clean house too easily.
              :tussor:

Comment

I am a pretty light moderator willing to let an occasional bad day's remarks go ignored. But repetitive attitudes, disrespect for other views and opinions, etc., get dealt with quickly and severely.

I have one forum that is heaven - they can have a discussion on the most volatile subjects possible and remain respectful throughout, as well as spending days/weeks actually debating the facts. No belittling comments, no off-topic declarations of virility. Just good well-thought, knowledgeable debates. Heck - I gave them all administration rights to the forum so they could make changes without having to ask. Love that group.

Comment

Toedtoes, bring those folks on over to our forum if you can. We need to add more members over here who can distinguish actual facts from fantasy without needing a 50-slide Poerpoint presentation. Seriously, other forums debate, have fun, and learn...

:penguin:
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Sure, i'll suggest to them that they come here where when one can't argue the facts, they spout off about their blow up doll's dress size and that the only thing between their legs is a harley...

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                      wow someone knows how the system works, think you just raised your hand to moderate
                      Not sure if this site wants a moderator.
                      Soooo confused:(.
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        A more detailed explanation of the reputation policy would be useful as well. Nobody on this site has ever gone past "on a distinguished road" due in large part to site restrictions in active membership.
                        I'm not seeing any "reputation", anywhere. Not that I think it's important, but there must be some setting I haven't found.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                          I'm not seeing any "reputation", anywhere. Not that I think it's important, but there must be some setting I haven't found.
                          Your reputation can be seen by hovering over that green cell phone looking icon directly under your screen name on this page. At least that's how it shows up in my default skin.

You can give reputation to another poster by clicking on the black 6 point star icon located at the bottom of the post box on the left hand side. It's located right next to the triangle to report a post.
                          2017:

Comment

I see now. Now I'm gonna start repping folks so they can get off of the road to nowhere!
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                            X