RV age restriction problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV age restriction problems

We are trying to plan on moving to Oregon next year and we just bought a 1981 rockwood Rv. When we started calling to ask questions about long term stay and such they started telling us they have an age restriction. Hello, that is just crazy. There are a lot of people restoring these things. I understand if people are keeping their sites messy and such but deal with them on an individual basis. Just because it's an older unit does not mean it looks bad. What happened to camping being for everyone? Since when has camping become a thing of vanity? It's outdoors, we are supposed to rough it a little.

Anyway, does anyone know if such a place exists that us older RV owners can set up camp for a while in Oregon? We need long term stay. The state parks have about a 14 day max or so. We would appreciate anyone who has information on where we could possibly stay.:confused:

Re: RV age restriction problems

That is silly! When I rebuild my Dad's '86 Ford van into a Class B, I expect to be able to camp any campground. Many folks restore and use old VW campers, and other old classics. If the unit is in good shape, age should not be an issue!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I think that most parks would welcome a refurbished beautiful RV or trailer, but we all know what they are trying to keep OUT.

Just like neighborhoods that try to keep their neighborhoods beautiful through zoning and other restrictions, some RV parks are trying to keep out the riff-raff.

I was at a public campgrounds this summer and some hillbillies showed up in their old 1970's vintage dirty-diaper brown trailer that literally had mold growing all over the sides and top. Old stained and torn curtains hung over dust-glazed windows. The men wore torn wife-beater T-shirts and their thick-kanckled women were dressed for a quick run to K-Mart with elastic waist-band pants and XXXL T-shirts. They fired up some ancient generator that made so much racket you couldn't have a conversation if you were within two campsites from them. Needless to say, lots of tattoos and cigarettes. Garbage seemed to explode out of their vehicles every time they opened a door.

THAT is the kind of riff-raff some RV parks are trying to keep off their real-estate and for good reason. Rather than arguing with Hoss and Bubba about why they cannot plant their cabbage-patch rigs at the park, the RV parks simply have age limits on the rigs and that settles that - usually by phone.

Sure, they will lose some customers with beautiful vintage rigs, but it beats having an argument with an angry redneck who has a 30 caliber rifle hanging in the back window of his truck and has a grumpy pregnant half-drunk girlfriend sitting next to him and some barking dogs in the back.

Last edited by Mike; 09-11-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Now that you have shown your prejudice against southerners, rednecks (which exits in all fifty states), hillbillies (a term I have not heard since I lived in MI), and gun owners; I wonder what's next.
        Will you start on religion?

Comment

they may be trying to limit people from parking non working RV's at their campsites.
          no way to tell from a +20 yr old restored trailer to a +20 yr old barely road legal trash trailer.

Comment

chawk,
            There are lots of people living in motorhomes since the recession. It is one step removed from being homeless in the eyes of private RV park managers. They have the right not to have permanent residents like the one in the picture.

Comment

Mike

That's my camper! Where did you get that picture!!!
              When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
              Six hundred pounds of sin
              Was grinning at my window
              All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

My last camper
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Hillbilly RV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	69784

Comment

that's actually a pretty funny pic mike and i literally laughed out loud...i have seen campsites like this one but i would argue that the age restriction will not keep any certain group of people out of a campground. the filthy rich guy with the $100k 5th wheel with 4 slide-outs and the $50k speedboat can be just as annoying or disruptive.

chawk do you have any pics of your camper?

Comment

Originally posted by F5Moab View Post
                    Now that you have shown your prejudice against southerners, rednecks (which exits in all fifty states), hillbillies (a term I have not heard since I lived in MI), and gun owners; I wonder what's next.
                    Will you start on religion?
                    Now don't go getting all Politically Correct on us, FSMoab. We have rednecks and hillbillies up north too and we have Yoopers to add to that. I didn't want to put religion into this, but since you asked, I think them rednecks were snake handling, poison drinking Baptist. Ha ha ha. Just kidding, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                      Mike

That's my camper! Where did you get that picture!!!
                      Are you sure that's your camper, OldCoyte? Because some guy is living in your camper with his pregnant sister.

Comment

Really late to this party but here's one of the problems. It's not just RV's typically, it goes for travel trailers as well, so they put an age limit on the whole bunch. In New England plenty of people go to pull their travel trailer out and an axle comes undone, the frame near the hitch disconnects or the trailer itself just gives out. If you are checking out at 11AM and the next guest is arriving at 3PM there is going to be a problem. I saw a travel trailer the front hitch and about 2 feet of frame come off a trailer being towed by a pick up. Trailer rolled forward about a foot, head a creeeeeek, metal buckle and thud. The truck drove off with about 5 feet of frame and front of the trailer was in the grass. Ended up using a tractor with forklift attachment on the front and some beams and chains to move it off the site. It was a project. :cool:
                        sigpic

Comment

I tried to stay in a luxury RV resort with my family that allowed "Camping Vans". They wanted to see my van to make sure that it "qualified" as a camping van. I told 'em to take a flying leap. Business owners have the right to choose clients.

My van is plain ordinary Ford window van with platform beds on the inside. They wanted to see a van that was all tricked out on the outside that shouted out "Hey, I am a camper van!". My van looks like a plumber or carpenter van with windows. I did not fit the model for their clientele.
                          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                          sigpic

Comment

When we had our motor home, we wouldn't stay at a park that wouldn't accept tents. Why? Because I don't like snobs.
                            Nights camping in 2013-----12
                            Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                            Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Oh yeah! Maroon half-million dollar Bluebird pulls into the Thousand Trails site next to us: Out bails two 50-something Texas Aggies couple. They come over to introduce themselves. Within a minute they have changed the subject to them damn nose-picking Aggies. (UT graduate here, but I do not let on). We endured for two more days. Must. Not. Let. Them. DRIVE. US. OUT!!! EVERY TIME

Comment

Working...
                              X