Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring/Summer 2014 camping trips?

Well, what are y'all planning?

We're heading to a local park, Chehaw, which has been the first thing we do every year (to kind of remind ourselves how it all works, because it's 10 minutes from home but a great spot to go with the kids in case we forget something). This one will be a Boy Scout trip, technically, but we're coming a night early so we can settle in before the chaos begins.

We're also heading to St Joseph Peninsula State Park at the beginning of June for a few days. Ah, relaxation on the beach. Okay, more like "Why did we bring all the kids, OMG", but still, it should be a fun time for all.

We're still trying to pin down a location for our third trip, which will be the weekend of my younger two's birthdays (they are 3 days apart). Not sure if we're going to Topsail Hill in FL or Vogel up in North GA. It'll be mid-July so hot hot hot, and my mom will be coming down from Indiana, so we will see. I prefer more "commercialized" when we take the kids with us, because it just makes life easier (and they aren't big enough to effectively ride bikes off of paved roads yet--they will be 3, 6, and 7 this summer).

This will be our first year with the new tent (REI Kingdom 6 with tech garage, we are retiring a 20+yo Eureka tent).

Where is everyone else headed?
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Spring/Summer 2014 camping trips?

Great thread idea.

As I have posted elsewhere, after a multi year hiatus from camping I will be starting to camp more frequently this summer.

We are exclusively car campers and we will be tenting it. We have a 12x20 Cabela's Alaknak tent with vestibule. In addition, I have spent the last nine months or so purchasing all the gear required to camp and I am pumped to get out in the woods!

This summer my family plans on camping within Minnesota quite a bit. Myself and my two sons ages 7 and 5 have a trip planned the Thursday before Memorial Day through the day after Memorial Day. We will be camping in the Chippewa National forest at a dispersed site located just a few feet off a lake.

In the months of June, July and August we have two - four to six day trips planned for each month. We will be camping within a few state parks which will include Itasca State Park (Mississippi headwaters), along Lake Superior and a few sites in SE and northern MN.

I have other quick weekend trips planned into September, October and November. In addition and for the first time ever, I am planning on doing some MN winter camping one weekend a month December through February or so.

I'm planning on uploading some pictures of my adventures to this site (I think there is a spot for that) and I might try to begin experimenting with shooting some video and posting them on YouTube.

Comment

So far this year, I've the following trips set up:

15 day "Lil Grrlies' Beach Trip" in Connecticut. DGD, maybe her cousin, and a nabe child.

Since young girls make me weary wearing that same ol.....oops...sorry, having an Otis Redding flashback moment..got an adults only trip immediately after in upstate NY, for 4 days. Much booze, "gourmetee" meals and adult laughter anticipated.

9 day tyro trip in a rental Alto trailer thru Canada and upper New England.

8 day trip back in Connecticut for Labor Day; half lil grrlies' birthday sleepover/half 2 adult recovery.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

One week in Pa planned visiting family in June. A few long weekends in Ma and CT In July. One week in The White Mountains In August. September I wont get out allot going on. October is back to the whites for Columbus Day weekend.

Comment

So excited camping season is here! We'll be headed off for the first trip of the season in mid-June to Mount Sunapee State Park in NH. It was supposed to be a small group, but is now up to 9 adults and 5 kids from age 2 to 7. Really eager to see the park as this is a new one for us.

July so far is occupied by our first overnight Amtrak trip to FL, but I may still try to sneak in a long weekend camping.

August we'll be headed to Colchester VT to camp with another big group that we get together with annually.

Camp on!
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
            So excited camping season is here! We'll be headed off for the first trip of the season in mid-June to Mount Sunapee State Park in NH. It was supposed to be a small group, but is now up to 9 adults and 5 kids from age 2 to 7. Really eager to see the park as this is a new one for us.

July so far is occupied by our first overnight Amtrak trip to FL, but I may still try to sneak in a long weekend camping.

August we'll be headed to Colchester VT to camp with another big group that we get together with annually.

Camp on!
            When you "Amtrak to FL" do you take your camping gear with you or ship it ahead? Been thinking of visiting some of the man's family in FL and would love to figure out how to combine camping w/ the trip.
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey NYCgrrl, sorry for the delay in replying! We actually aren't camping on the FL trip, just going to visit family. Although I must say that you got my mind whirling with the possibilities with camping using Amtrak now! Since this will be our first train trip anywhere, I don't have firsthand experience (yet!), but I did some thinking about the options since I saw your post, and with what I have learned about traveling on Amtrak, the options are endless.

I know many backpackers/long distance hikers use Amtrak for travel for the experience and cheaper cost over flying or even driving. Some trains don't offer checked baggage, so if you are bringing lots of gear, you might have to ship it ahead in that case. But if you can pack it all along, Amtrak does allow 2 carry on bags per passenger (plus extras like purse, blankets, pillows, small coolers, baby bags, etc) and even the trains that don't offer checked baggage do have a communal baggage area in each coach car that can stash anything bigger. If the route you choose offers checked baggage, you can load up whatever you want! LOL!

Amtrak also offers the Auto Train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. That way you could pack up the car with anything and everything. They load the car onto the car carrier on the train and you don't have to worry about anything the whole trip, just enjoy the scenery and ambiance! Just bring your immediate need stuff on the train with you, but still have everything you need once you get to FL. This is the ONLY route that the Auto Train runs on, and those are the only 2 stops it makes, so it is limited with destination options, but still a great way to shave off almost 1000 miles of a FL trip, but still have your vehicle when you get there.

Like I said, I have been researching this trip for almost a year now, so please let me know if I can answer any Amtrak questions for you. It's really a wonderful option, I'm finding. My hubby is 6'6" and about 350 lbs, so air travel these days is QUITE uncomfortable for him. The train is a fantastic option for those of us that still consider the journey as part of the adventure too!
              Last edited by Shortpants; 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM.
              Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I think air travel is uncomfy for most now so I really hear you!
                Hehehe...we don't own a car so it's interesting to know how the Auto Train works. Car ownership is unusual and unneeded in some parts of NYC.
                A one day return time for a response and yer apologizing?!I'm sooooo far behind you so don't you worry about a thing:cool:
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-23-2014, 04:12 PM.
                2017:

Comment

Yeah, the thought of cramming myself, large hubby, an energetic 5 year old and a wiggly toddler on a plane was not an agreeable one to me. haha!

On our trip, we'll be making a connection to the Silver Meteor in NY Penn Station, then it's overnight to FL. We splurged on a sleeper room for this trip since it is our "big" summer vacation. The Silver lines (there are two out of NY Penn, the Silver Star and the Silver Meteor) go from NYC to FL and both have checked baggage, so I bet you could get camping gear to FL with little hassle, as long as you had someone to collect you and your gear, and get you to your destination. I am hearing the Red Caps (the porters at the larger stations) are VERY helpful in getting you and your baggage loaded and unloaded, and getting you where you need to be.

Comment

I've heard good stuff about the Silver Meteor/ Star although I've never travelled the entire route; certainly more relaxing than the plane and my fav method to get to Baltimore/ DC. Where I should be this weekend soaking up as many museums as I possibly can.....sniffle. O well there's always next year.
                    I think your family will have a nice start on your family vacation .
                    The idea of carrying campgear via train is actually for the reverse trip. I want the man's family to travel here as they've gotten wayyy too comfy with us travelling down.
                    2017:

Comment

Working...
                    X