Met foraging Thru Hikers on PCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met foraging Thru Hikers on PCT

This week I went up to a local camp spot to hang out with some old friends. I met two brothers that were taking a break from the Pacific Crest Trail. Trevor and Ian were from So Cal and started hiking near San Diego in May. We were near Lake Tahoe when I met them and they were headed for Oregon. They were dissheveled looking after 4 months and said they avoided using money whenever possible. What was fascinating about the two was they foraged for most their food. They ate lots of trout, mushrooms, and other native plants. They had small game licenses. They were disappointed that they were past the area they had a deer tag for.

They were great musicians and story tellers with a highly evolved sense of humor. We had some great conversation about 3 bear sightings, and a bobcat. They thought it was a lynx, but they do not exist in the Sierra. Interesting and inspiring fellows. Their next plan is to go to the Republic of the Congo and hang out with pygmies.

Re: Met foraging Thru Hikers on PCT

That sounds like the life. I would love to be able to take off for several months and get in tune with the wild. One of these days....
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Although I respect the people I met, it doesn't sound like the life to me at all. Foraging for food is hard work.

Comment

I would be interested to see what they would do with all the venison. I suppose they could turn most of it into jerky and trade some of it for other items they needed.:cool:
        sigpic

Comment

Moss,
          The kid asked me how much meat would be left after a deer is boned out. Even a decent mule deer is only around 100 pounds of meat. He said he could "eat 5 pounds of meat at one time." He thought he and his brother could eat a whole deer in a little more than a week. Maybe a week and a half. It is the closest I have come to talking to members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. People who know what being really hungry is like most of the time.

Comment

Working...
          X