??? Who's Camping March 2013???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? Who's Camping March 2013???

Wowsers! February 2013 has come and gone!

If you're planning on camping during the month of March 2013 and would like to share a little or a lot, here's the thread to add to! We don't care by what means(motorcycle, bike, backpack, tent, hammock, trailer, 5th wheel or RV) you camp and if you got plans this month we are all ears. Just for the record, I really shouldn't camp this month but I have been diligently cleaning gear, organizing bags, reading maps and drooling over places I want to go! Resting my new knee for better days ahead! But if you got plans we sure would like to hear from you! Thanks for looking!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: ??? Who's Camping March 2013???

Wish I could say I was going somewhere but I am booked for the month of March. I am thinking of planning my next trip to Big Bend (whenever my next chance will be). Want to get that one in before summer when the temps will be busting the thermometers. Reno, when do they say you can get back out? Hopefully not too much longer.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Headed next weekend to Tim's Ford State Park in Tenessee about 1.5 hours north of me. Went and looked it over last weekend with wife. Never been there. Looks really nice. Can't wait to get my camping for the year started! http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/TimsFord/

Comment

WT, here in northern Utah there is still mostly snow on the ground & most campgrounds are still closed. It'll be a couple of more months, to tell the truth, about my knee before I'll be really ready to camp. Still working on gaining full control of bending and walking long distances. Also when my wife worked for the VA she was a gov't employee and could get anytime off she wanted with 20 years of service. But now she is working for a private firm and has to start over with her time off. She took a few days when I had my surgery so it'll be a few months before she'll have enough time saved to go camping. We are kinda of thinking in Sept or October to drive to Napa Valley State Park and camp there for a week. We really have missed having good vintage wine & the weather there is quite mild. It's also close to the coast of northern Cali and we really like that too, especially around the Ft. Bragg area. But don't worry, we'll get out as soon as we can. Day trips for hiking and yaking must be done before I plunge back into the tent camping 100%!

Comment

we did oneil last week end. very nice weather, sprinkeled a little thru the nite.
          weve got reservations 4/19-21 barton flats, big bear.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by donnyonee; 03-15-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

hoping to take my niece out this month, probably later in the month.
            also keeping a close eye on the bears,
            march is dangerous time for bears,
            bears that come out of hibernation early tend to be more aggressive than other times of year, hungry, cranky, and have new cubs to care for.

Comment

I got snowed out :(. I took a few days off work to get in some camping this week. Now we're in the midst of a snowstorm, so I can't get to where I was supposed to go. Hopefully some free time will come up later in the month.
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Came really close to having the sun, moon, and stars in alignment to go camping next week for spring break, but... looks like I will be paying taxes instead of going camping.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Going again this weekend . 2 weekends in a row!!!!! Going to http://www.tannehill.org

Comment

Congrats frank! Let us know how you did and don't forget your camera! Have a safe campout!

Comment

Going backpacking at the last 4 days of march, in Algonquin park(Ontario Canada).
                      This is a great time of the year for backpacking.

Comment

Hope you don't become snow bound! Plenty of lakes to canoe & portage! Pleased as punch you're doing what-you-wanna!
                        Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                          Hope you don't snow bound! Plenty of lakes to canoe & portage! Pleased as punch you're doing what-you-wanna!
                          I love it!

The snow shouldn't be too bad, the main trails should be somewhat traveled, by us hardcore outdoorsman. But alil snow/cold winter camping will put hair on your chest!
                          The temp will prob be from -3 To +3 nothing bad at al,l its PERFECT!

As for canoeing, not this early ,this spring, we had a cold winter and alot of snow in Toronto- which means there will be double the snow north of the banana belt, in Algonquin(which is 250-300km or 2.5hr-drive{depending where in AP you go}from the GTA[(greater Toronto area]!)
                          there will be too much ice on the lakes of any canoeing... :(
                          BUT, there won't be any bugs, people or fire bans!!!

Respect. Logtec
                          Last edited by Logtec; 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

We still have at least 18" of snow on the ground northern Wisconsin. In fact, that means we can still camp!

When the snow melts, everything is too wet for camping. Most places become swamps during the Spring thaw.

Generally, Mid March, April, and sometimes the beginning of May are no good for camping here because it is too wet.

June is the mosquito hatch season here and the mosquitoes will make life absolutely miserable for campers.

HOWEVER, the trout in the rivers and stream gorge themselves on the hatches and it is fun to watch if you can stand the mosquitoes. I guess that is the true circle of life. The mosquitoes eat us, the trout eat the mosquitoes, and we eat the trout.
                            Last edited by Mike; 03-21-2013, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Just returned from a weekend trip to Flint Creek in Wiggins, MS which is part of the Pat Harrison Waterway District. I know, not a big deal, but just getting my family's feet wet camping. I'm hoping we will be able to go again in the next few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X