Another trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another trip

Next week, a freind and I will be headed down to the lake to do some car camping and fishing. I'm taking our big tent since we will have the luxury of pulling up close to our campsite. Also taking my big cast iron skillet. To me, there is nothing better on a good morning than bacon and eggs cooked over a fire.
    Hopefully, we will catch some catfish. The lake levels have been down for the past couple of years but we have been getting some decent rain lately. Last year, the lake was around 16%, nearby lakes at 8% and 1%. I checked a few days ago and the lake I go to was showing 42%. My buddy has been on one fishing trip his entire life and that was last year with me, but we didn't get a lot of bites. It was fairly cold and the lake level proly had a lot to do with that. I'm hoping he gets to catch something this trip. It is sposed to be 80s for high and 60s for low. Cats should be biting.
    I am going to try my hand at getting the campfire started with out a lighter this time. Have never been able to do that and think it would be a great skill to have as I am now learning the backpacking and hiking style of camping.
    Will bring back some pics and hopefully a great trip report.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Re: Another trip

We had a great time on the trip. My buddy didn't get to catch anything, he had a couple close but never set the hook and they got off before he got them in. I caught a carp that was huge... almost 2' long. Set him back though... I won't eat a carp. Then caught a turtle. Forgot how strong them suckers are. Then finally caught a decent size cat. Between 2-3 pounds. That was it though.

Our camping spot was perfect though. Normally on this lake I camp on the west side across from the dam and there is nothing but rocks, sticks, and sand. This time I decided to try over by the equalization channel. We found a spot that was flat and covered with bermuda. The channel was about 20 yards to the side of our tent and about a 4 foot waterfall where it poured into the lake. Did have to clean it up before we could set up camp, but at this lake, that is to be expected.

Overall, it was a great trip. The only pitfalls I listed on the pet peeves thread. Now that this trip is out of the way, it's time to get started on my next trip...:D
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Working...
    X