3 Day, 2 Night Car Camping (GASP!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Day, 2 Night Car Camping (GASP!)

Originally, there were supposed to be eight of us on this camping trip, and it was supposed to be a short hike of 1.8 miles to a great site I scouted at the end of December. Some of the guys whined about hiking 1.8 miles, so I moved the site to a place where they could car camp. This site was exposed to gusty winds, provided no shade, and had no dead fall for a camp fire. See what happens when you whine to me about not wanting to backpack 1.8 miles?

Anywhoo, here are a few pics. My old digital camera gave up the ghost on this trip and I was lucky to get a hand full of shots the first day.

Tonto National Forest? I see no trees out here in this forest...

A nice butte. Two of us were 10 minutes from the top when one of the other guys called. He came in his minivan and we had to go rescue him on the nasty road, hahahah. I told him not to bring that thing...

Dexter loves that warm sun and the view.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Re: 3 Day, 2 Night Car Camping (GASP!)

About this time the camera went on the fritz.

While I cannot take pics as nice as beemerchef, I liked this shot from just a few minutes after the one above.

A nice pink cloud, I suppose it means God supports breast cancer research, right?

Life is a verb.

Comment

And a good night to you, dear Sol. I shall see you on the morrow.

The camrea was bought several years ago on ebay, and was a refurb. I do believe I got my moneys worth out of it. There would have been more pics, but oh well.

On a side note, there was an older couple trying to make their way across the worst part of the road in a 2wd Explorer. They were on a stretch sloping down toward a nice gully, trying to climb a decent grade, and sliding backward and toward the drop-off. Luckily, the old feller got his vehicle stopped and we could tell they were in trouble. We hopped in my truck and drove up to them. They were both scared pale and she was shaking. I asked the husband if he minded if I drive his vehicle out of the mess, to which he replied "Young man, I will gladly pay you to drive this thing to the other end of the road."

It took me a bit of judicious backing, modulating brake and accelerator at the same time, and picking good lines, but I got them through the hard part. I then drove my truck past theirs (through the nastiest part of the road, lol) and had him follow my tire tracks as best he could. About half a mile later, I told them they were good to go as we knew the road in front of them was pretty tame. They both thanked me profusely and shook my hand. I invited them to church and would not be surprised to see them some time.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Beautiful pics. Love the rescue stories, both: friend in minivan, and the older couple. Can only imagine how scared they must've been.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

It was a good time, for sure.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Sure you can!!! You have a great eye...
            Nice rescue! Very nice to help out.
            You stay well... Ara and Spirit

Comment

Ben love your pictures looks like you had a good time on your camping trip. I am fairly new to this site and have posted a few pictures but all of mine come out as thumbnails how do I get my photos to post the size of yours?
              thanks for any info. Billy Bob 66

Comment

Working...
              X