Nov & Dec 2011: Who's Campin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nov & Dec 2011: Who's Campin?

Just two more months and we'll say howdy to 2012. If you are planning a winter camping trip, via your mode of camping and would like to share some details, here's the thread to post up! You can be as detailed as you wanna be or knot! We all would love to hear what your plans are but specific dates shouldn't be posted. One never knows who's lurking! Most folk seem to settle down with the end of the year.

We did have some plans for a coastal California tent camping trip to the Ft. Ross area. But had to give it up for my better half's job change. Glad I already went bow hunting. Thanks for looking and chattin 'bout campin'! It's a real fun activity!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Nov & Dec 2011: Who's Campin?

I hope to camp Thanksgiving weekend again, like I did last year. Otherwise camping is tough this fall. In addition to my job, I'm taking a course; classes are Thursday nite and all day Saturday.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I'll probably go camping this Sunday-tuesday after I go to the Lone Star Rally in Galveston. WHERE I go depends if i am going alone or with someone. Won't know that until later in the week. Not going more than about 75 miles away.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Have a good camp! We're jeepin over to Utah and have a look-see at Ogden, look for an apartment or small house that Desert-Rose can get until this house in Reno is sold. We ain't campin and this ain't no relaxation time. Just something we gotta do! I'll be on and off the web back here maybe the 12th or 13th. My Rose really gotten to dislike the Veterans Administration Hospital. It's the worst place she has ever worked. And me being a veteran too, I'll chime in and agree with her. Seems that everyone that's employed there just sits around to collect a pay-check from Uncle Sam! I had an in-grown toe-nail that I finally took care of my self. My doctor here wanted me to travel to the San Francisco VA and get it done there because he said that podiatry clinic in Reno would just send me to Frisco. That's just once instance. What a bunch or morons! Sorry for the rant! Hope y'all have a great campout and don't forget to log in a report of your experience, good or bad. Get Campin!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I too get irritated with the VA Hospital here in Phoenix, but when I step back to look at it, they do a pretty good job for the amount of veterans they service. You are right about attitudes, though. On the other hand, many vets come in for treatment and we are in a great deal of chronic pain, which can make a person very grumpy. Everyone seems to forget that part.

Oh, and I think Im going to camp over my Thanksgiving break, at Lake Pleasant.
          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Hi All- It's a sad day, 'cause I have to winterize my camper. We're getting into some hard freezes in Nebraska. As a new camper owner, I feel grateful that I had an extended camping season in this part of the country. It gave me some time to appreciate a different kind of beauty, especially since it has been so difficult to give up the year-long opportunities to camp in beautiful settings while living in the southwest! My next trip will most likely be over Christmas. I like to head towards the Navajo reservation for some hogan-style camping!
            Campnkt

Comment

I am thinking about camping(solo) at Desoto Falls Georgia Christmas week.It has chemical flush toilets,hand pump water,and an outdoors shower(water shut down for winter).The temps here in Georgia are whacky.I don't know whether to pack for extreme cold or mild cold,but to be safe I will probably pack for extreme cold.I am new to the cold weather camping and I am loving it so far.Being able to pick my site of choice is nice.I'm worried about packing in my own water(1 gallon milk jugs).Does anyone know if I pack the jugs under my hardshell tonneau cover and cover them with something,will they freeze?I have read somewhere that putting some kind of additive in the water(like anti freeze) will do the trick,not to sure I like that idea.
              Last edited by CabinFreak; 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I went out on 30 December, for just one night, to scout an unknown camping spot for me and some guys from church.

View south-east from the base of Sugarloaf.

There was really no good place to pitch a tent, so I made a nice space under this "tree."

Mmmm chicken! How many people actually head out into the sticks with clarified butter for pan frying? I did that time. HaHa!
                Last edited by immortal_ben; 01-06-2012, 06:32 PM.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Temperature control.

Nice color, don't you agree?

Didn't quite get set before the timer went off. I recalled too late that my headlamp was on.

Sadly, I forgot to get any shots of Sugarloaf mountain itself.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by CabinFreak View Post
                    I am thinking about camping(solo) at Desoto Falls Georgia Christmas week.It has chemical flush toilets,hand pump water,and an outdoors shower(water shut down for winter).The temps here in Georgia are whacky.I don't know whether to pack for extreme cold or mild cold,but to be safe I will probably pack for extreme cold.I am new to the cold weather camping and I am loving it so far.Being able to pick my site of choice is nice.I'm worried about packing in my own water(1 gallon milk jugs).Does anyone know if I pack the jugs under my hardshell tonneau cover and cover them with something,will they freeze?I have read somewhere that putting some kind of additive in the water(like anti freeze) will do the trick,not to sure I like that idea.
                    They will indeed freeze if the temp drops enough. I never worry too much about that, really. Turn any water containers upside down if u think it may freeze, because they freeze from the top down. That way, in the morning, when you flip it back over, you will likely have some liquid water. Then just set about melting the frozen stuff. I also like to set my water as close as possible to my banked fire ring (without melting the container) for the night.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
                      How many people actually head out into the sticks with clarified butter for pan frying? I did that time. HaHa!
                      Omg! well, that's something to add to my "essentials" list. [I take heavy cream for my morning coffee ... none of that half&half or fake stuff]

Probably not the Sugarloaf Mountain you were at:
                      Pic is in the linked page
                      That's about as mountainous as we get along the East Coast.

Comment

At an elevation of 1,282 feet....Mountian

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are

Comment

Glitter, you are right in that I was not at THAT Sugarloaf Mountain. The one I went to is literally less than 20 miles from my house here in Phoenix. As far as the clarified butter... well I had planned on *gasp* car camping but the road was closed and I had to hike in about four miles. I wouldn't normally bring anything perishable because I tend to not car camp. That required a bit of time to re-pack and be glad that I had actually brought backpacks for Dexter and I. I can understand about bringing heavy cream for your coffee. I usually bring some instant coffee and a bit of Sugar in the Raw.

Shawn, yep... funny. Heck, even my Sugarloaf at 3,879 ft. brings a chuckle.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I did a 3 day at Desoto Falls in Georgia,I planned on staying longer but a couple of trees falling made me decide to get the heck out of there before one decided to fall at my site.There was 1 pine(about 60ft and 4ft rd)that was already down when I arrived for my camp out.It made me kind of leery because there had been a good bit of rain fall previous but I decided to pick my site and set up camp.On my last night I was standing around the campfire it was around 11:45pm,the wind had started picking up quite a bit and I started thinking about the tree's and all of the sudden I hear this cracking noise and then the thump of a tree hitting the ground.This pine wasn't as big as the other one but it was enough for me to pack up my gear and get the heck out of there.There was 1 other tent camper in there,I wonder if they did the same.

Comment

Sounds wise. Our area has seen a great deal of downed trees. Due to all the rain it doesn't take much to bring down some tall trees.

Comment

Working...
                              X