Vendor trip report: Appalachian Trail Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor trip report: Appalachian Trail Days

In May, I attended Appalachian Trail Days for the first time, and as a vendor. Damascus (Virginia, not Syria) is a lovely little town along the AT, full of old small-town charm. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pictures of the town itself. I was a bit busy...

This is the scene that greeted me upon arrival on Thursday the 18th. When it comes to backdrops, you can't do much better.

It didn't take long to get set up...

I had my AI-101 sleeping bags set up with one on an air mattress and one on a cot. Having the laptop there didn't work out as planned, as it was too bright to see the screen and there was no wi-fi available.
    Sleep bug free!
    www.BreezyBrigade.com

Re: Vendor trip report: Appalachian Trail Days

Plenty of other vendors were there as well. This is the view towards town from my spot...

...and the view towards the mountains.

Thursday night brought a strong thunderstorm that shook the tent and brought a minor flash flood to some parts of the area. But Friday and Saturday brought sunshine and temps in the low 80's. And large crowds. I spent the those two days talking to potential customers and doing little else. I even had to sneak bites of lunch from the cooler I had tucked away in the tent.

After the crowds died down Friday night (as they went into town for the various cookouts and live entertainment), I had the chance to take a few pictures around my vending/camping area.

This is Laurel Creek, which runs through town and just behind the vending area.

I wouldn't want to paddle a kayak down it, but by the end of Saturday, I was ready to strip and go for a swim in it. Fortunately, I restrained myself. (haha)

Sleep bug free!
    www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

This is part of the Friday night party crowd. Food concessions, craft booths, and live music on the bandstand.

There was even a booth where kids could win a bunny rabbit by tossing rings onto fake ducks in a kiddy pool. Not the best way to get a new pet, in my humble opinion, but the rabbits didn't look like they were being mistreated.

I thought this little rabbit was rather clever, finding the biggest water dish of them all.

This was my home during the event. I was one of the few vendors that camped on site. Which struck me a bit odd, as most of them were also selling tents...

So there you have it. I was lucky to still have a voice at the end of the weekend, as I worked the booth by myself. And I was lucky not to have gotten more sunburned than I did. I met a lot of great people, and even sold some stuff. Also got some ideas for new products, and decided to carry a down shirt for this fall. I'll go back next year, and have invited my business partner to fly over from Japan and make the trip to a future Trail Days event on motorcycles. I think between us, we can carry all the necessary inventory...

My next vendor event is the 38th Return to Shiloh Rally, October 5th-7th.
      Sleep bug free!
      www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

Sounds and looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing and good luck with becoming our newest PREFERRED VENDOR!

Many times a week I get private messages from other campateers(my phrase for forum members) asking if they can contribute monies in support of Camping Forums.com.

The best way to offer financial support to this forum is to purchase products from our approved "Preferred Vendors!" These vendors have paid a fee to advertise their products here and are trusted by our website management and yours truly to be honest businessmen/women.

Please support our approved Preferred Vendors!!!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X