I need to replace almost all of my camping gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to replace almost all of my camping gear

Hi everyone. About 5 years ago, I loaned some camping gear to a friend and then he moved out of the state suddenly and I never got my stuff back. Sorry if this comes off as rambling, I'm adjusting to new meds and it's making it hard to put words together!

I still have my tent, my sleeping bag, and my butane camp stove and my camping kettle (percolator that lots it's guts) and I now have a decent headlamp. I was thinking of doing a camping toilet with a pool noodle+ trash bags +kitty litter but I don't have my own shelter for it...the places I usually camp have vault toilets available so I've never needed it, but it might make me feel more safe camping alone. I recently got a little camping stool I found at a thrift store. Been wanting one for a while.

I lost my lantern, my queen air mattress that barely fit in my oddly shaped tent, some flash lights, a titanium spork, several steak-in-the-ground solar LED lights, and some misc. cooking supplies, like spatulas and big spoons, a pop-up shade shelter that was a pain in the butt to set up alone, and my 48 quart cooler.

I haven't been camping in about 5 or more years, and I really want to get into this season. What are the things I absolutely need to replace to go camping this season? I'm thinking the cooler, lights, cooking gear, and something to sleep on. What else am I forgetting that's a must have? I'm used to car camping, I think? I grew up driving to campsites you had to reserve or pay for, and then you drove to the campsite and set up your tent. There was a table and a firepit and usually some kind of vault toilet on the campgrounds you could walk to. I didn't know it at the time, but some of these sites have water spigots for drinking water so you don't have to pack all of your water in. I'd love to camp at a site that had electricity for a normal fan, but I'm not sure where they are! I just know they exist, because I've heard about people camping at them. And these aren't RV sites, I don't think.

I'm looking for suggestions on supplies I'd need, feel free to suggest anything I didn't mention. I might end up camping during monsoon season (I don't mind at all!) so any suggestions for that would be great. One of the last times I went camping, it was the first time in my tent. I didn't know it at the time, but my queen sized mattress pushed up against the tent walls and when I woke up in the morning, I had to bail water out of the bottom of my tent! I had my rain cover on and everything. I took out the mattress and didn't have a problem the following night, but it was uncomfortable to not have anything to sleep on but a blue foam pad someone lent me for the rest of the trip. I don't ever want to run into a wet tent like that again, so any kind of advice for that is greatly appreciated. What size cooler does one person need? I don't plan on camping for longer than 4 days at first. I'm not sure about the ice situation, I think I can get block ice?

I also wonder if I should get a new tent or not. I've only been camping in my tent about two or three times. My late aunt gave it to me, and it's a very early easy up tent that has the built in click in place poles and the last few times I've used it, the entire time I wish I had another tent. But I also like how much room this tent has, and don't want to forfeit it completely! But the tent has problems, the zipper for the mesh door (the entire panel is mesh instead of just a window you can unzip) is off track and Idk if you can fix that. Beyond the zipper problem, it's a decent tent. I am now remembering that I couldn't click the tent poles into place (one of the first easy up tents every made, I stg) and someone with me had to do it each time I set the tent up. It was also a pain to take down, we had to use plyers to get the buttons to depress. I feel silly asking, but is there a way to make my tent easier to put up? Like WD40 on all the plastic hinges or something? If not, I might be getting a new tent and need suggestions on how to pick one that won't flood during monsoon rain.

What supplies would you get? I plan on getting a plastic tub for dish washing and other very basic stuff like that but I feel like there are things I'm forgetting. A lot of the times, there are wood fire bans in place and I'm not sure if one of those campfire in a tin things would be allowed or not, but the propane fire pits are usually allowed. One day I might afford one of those, but until then I've got a little one burner coleman stove that takes butane cans, and I want to make one of those alcohol stoves out of an aluminum cans or just get some of those sterno cans for cooking purposes. I really want to get one of those metal cups with the collapsible/folding handles, like the kidney shaped army ones or the ozark trail kind they have at walmart right now. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want. It sucks that neither have a lid, but I think you can get a lid for the kidney shaped ones? By kidney shaped ones, I think I mean the canteen shaped. I saw a box of them at an army surplus store earlier this month and they weren't labeled, so idk what to call them or how to look for them online but I think I'm going to get one if they're still there when I go back to the store.

A goal of mine is to cook cast iron pan pizza while camping. I've done it at home before using just the burner on the stove and not the oven. I was thinking those camping sterno cans would be great, but they don't sell whatever you would call the pot holder for a sterno can where I'd be buying them at. The thing that would hold the pot or pan over the fire, I can't figure out what it's called. Stove maybe?

When my ex and I were camping we wondered if we could get one of those charcoal BBQ grills that are really round, the tabletop ones that are usually like $15 at walmart and then use it as a portable fire pit with wood instead of coal? If the fire would burn at all without any airflow...Would that technically work, or would it not be a good idea? I figured it wouldn't be a bad set up for sites that didn't have firepits, when fires were actually allowed because you could cook stuff with the little grill grate and then put the fire out with the lid. It'd be a great cheap little firepit to use a few times a year, but we never got around to figuring it out. It was sort of a high idea we had on a trip.

So the main questions I have are: what camping supplies does one need for 3-4 days solo car camping? I lost most of my supplies and only want to focus on what I need for camping this season, also I hate my current tent but not how big it is. I don't hunt so I will need to bring all of my food with me.

Welcome back to camping! For a 3-4 day solo car camping trip, prioritize essentials like a new tent for better weather protection, a comfortable sleeping setup, cooking gear including your Coleman stove, a 48-quart cooler, extra lighting, and a portable fire pit for versatility. To address your tent's issues, try lubricating zippers and consider a newer, easier-to-setup option. Cooking cast iron pan pizza is a tasty goal; you'll need a sturdy tripod or grate.
    Don't forget basic camping necessities like a first aid kit, insect repellent, and a trusty camp chair. Enjoy your camping adventures!

Comment

Originally posted by James Oliver View Post
      Welcome back to camping! For a 3-4 day solo car camping trip, prioritize essentials like a new tent for better weather protection, a comfortable sleeping setup, cooking gear including your Coleman stove, a 48-quart cooler, extra lighting, and a portable fire pit for versatility. To address your tent's issues, try lubricating zippers and consider a newer, easier-to-setup option. Cooking cast iron pan pizza is a tasty goal; you'll need a sturdy tripod or grate.
      Don't forget basic camping necessities like a first aid kit, insect repellent, and a trusty camp chair. Enjoy your camping adventures!
      Thanks! I'm going to sleep in my car, as I feel safer that way. I just got a spring cot that came with a little mattress. It looks like the picture. I'm having a hard time keeping it open, it really wants to fold up. Is there a way to combat that? I've never had this style cot before.

How do I know how much water to bring?

Cot: Click image for larger version

Name:	xb-1lg.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	82512

Attached Files

Comment

Considering a new tent for more convenience. Basic gear: plastic tub, stove, metal cup, cast iron for pizza. Portable fire pit and grill ideas are creative! Before truck camping I used to do a lot of tent camping with my husband.

Comment

Working...
        X