Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping: May 2009

Howdy,
    A new month is fast approaching, what might be everyone's plans for tenting camping in May 2009?

We may go camping towards Lake Tahoe from May 18 through May 23, it isn't written in stone yet...graduations to attend, weeds to pull and other fun stuff of a happy home owner. Spring is here in the beautiful south western desert and it was a very mild winter.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Howdy,
    Here's the low down. This will be my last camping trip before my back surgery so we are going to Grand Teton NP instead of Lake Tahoe. We are planning on camping at Jenny Lake CG which opens this year on the 15th. We will be camping from May 19 through the 23rd. Sure my wife(vegasdesertrose) does almost all the work now but she is worth five of me any day! Is anyone one else camping in May?:p

Comment

Camping in May

My son and I plan to go for a weekend here in a couple of weeks. We are looking at Platte River state park, or a smaller park in Iowa called Arrowhead park.

Comment

I am planning a two day camp locally at a County park just to test all the new gear out and fine tune the set up and take down operation before I make a trip too far from home

Comment

Howdy,
          Sounds like your plans have jelled rx and winchester, but dang-it mine are still in flux. My back surgeon, Dr. J Thalgott doesn't want me going to far from home. My surgery is planned for June 19 and he is going to fix me up good, so we decided to go back to Mid-Hills CG in the Mojave National Preserve mid-May. It's only 1 1/2 hours from Vegas and the altitude is near 5800' so since the temperature has hit 100 degrees yesterday here it will still be pleasant there. We last camped there in January 09 and I put up some photos of the place. It's isolated but not primitive. The Tetons will still be there for many years to come so I have to wait for a better back and stronger legs before I can go there. But I'm still going campin'! Bad back or bust! It just seems like I get better sleep, retiring on an air-mattress and sitting by a fire and cooking cast iron than I ever do living in this city of neon!

Comment

My dad has 300 acres just outside of town. It's all forest and has many great camping sites. The only camping for me this month is an upcoming father and son campout on the 15th. The Boy Scout troop that I am Scoutmaster of usually does one outing a month but this trip is more of a church trip than a Scout one...but it's still camping and I LOVE being in the woods.
            Now...next month I take the troop to summer camp for a week. It's a new area for us in the southern part of Arkansas.
            Then, in either July or August, I'm doing a solo 50-mile section of the Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas. It's been over 20 years since I've been on it. I've been trying to get the Scouts in my troop interested in doing a 50-miler but so far, the only takers is another of the adult leaders.
            Scott W. McClure
            Photographer/Scoutmaster Troop 202
            Eagle Scout-BSA/Order of the Arrow-Vigil Honor Member

"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and only so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either." The late Galen Rowell.

Comment

Howdy Scottmphoto,
              Thanks for chiming in about your camping and with the scouts! Great organization. I only made to a Life Scout, 5 shy of Eagle. That was a long time ago.

Plans changed, my back surgery will be June 19th. My doctor insists I no longer camp(to much strain) so bride & I will be doing a mini-vacation here in Vegas. We are staying at the Paris Hotel from May 19 till May 22(three days). We are going to see Phantom of the Opera and eat at some fine restaurants and have a good relax. I'm not whigging out on camping, though. Just as soon as my back becomes better and the doctors stablize it more and after I get the knee scoped out sometime in August I hoping, then I'll be back to camping again this autumn or early winter. Gee, I hope everyone puts photos up of where they have been camping. Seeing other people's photos is really nice so Scott, include some great photos of your trips... this summer and don't forget to come back here and chat about them! Hey, thanks for sharing, everyone!

Comment

Hello everyone...new to the forum here. As for me, my girlfriend and I are venturing on our first camping destination together over memorial day weekend at a local county campground. We are leaving Friday and returning on Monday. It's close to home and we can "test the waters" before we plan a longer trip farther from home. Really looking forward to it, and hope all goes well.

Any tips for us? Anything we should consider taking besides the obvious (tent, food, cookware, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by jahdisp25 View Post
                  Hello everyone...new to the forum here. As for me, my girlfriend and I are venturing on our first camping destination together over memorial day weekend at a local county campground. We are leaving Friday and returning on Monday. It's close to home and we can "test the waters" before we plan a longer trip farther from home. Really looking forward to it, and hope all goes well.

Any tips for us? Anything we should consider taking besides the obvious (tent, food, cookware, etc)
                  Sun protection, Toilet Paper, and a nice tilly hat

Oh ok maybe not the tilly hat, although they do come with mesh screens to keep the bugs out of your face! Oh and toys for your children.
                  My cooking site!

Comment

Originally posted by jahdisp25 View Post

Howdy jahdisp25,
                    Welcome to the camping boards! We hope that your stay with us will be a long and happy one and since you're going camping and sounds like you're all ready to go, come back here and tell us about your trip!

Comment

We went camping this past weekend. We camped at Clinton Lake outside of Lawrence, KS. Cabela's was having a Memorial Day sale so we made to short drive into Kansas City to do some shopping. I picked up a new tackle box, and bought an EZ-Up shelter for $70!! I couldn't beleive it.
                      I need to stay out of Cabela's or my savings account will start to suffer.

We had a run in with a rather bold raccoon (probably more than one). We were all sitting around the fire, and one climbed a tree right where we could see him. He stared at us for a little while and commenced his attack on a nearby dumbster. Silly raccoon.

NE Kansas is naturally covered with hardwood forests, as opposed to the Cottonwoods and Elms that dominate the part of the state I live in. I forgot how much I miss the oaks, and maples.

Of course being in that type for forest...we found ticks. those I can do without.

Item you'll forget about on your next camping trip. Even if you remember the sunscreen and bug spray, don't forget the chapstick to protect your lips. Mine are pealing pretty bad today.

Remember if you're driving home tanned and hung-over... you had a good time.

Comment

Working...
                      X