Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some gear recommendations

Hi Folks,
    Hey, I'm new to this forum. I saw a DIY camping gear section but can't seem to find any discussions for camping gear in general. Should I just post under, say, "Tent Camping". Below are my questions, is this the right place? If not please point me to which sub forum I should go!
    1. Ok, Car camping: Got any tried and true mattress and/or mattress and cot combos for a 3 person (not big) tent, something that won't damage the floor of the tent. Weight not a big deal since it's for car camping.
    2. Do you have a preferred rain tarp for chilling, reading a book and staying dry? There's some el cheapos on Amazon. I was looking at this one https://www.rei.com/product/171819/kelty-noahs-tarp

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Greg

Re: Need some gear recommendations

I'm bumping this up for more responses.

In the meantime, there are some threads discussing cots and tarps if you do a bit of searching.

I believe Kelti tarps get mentioned a lot here.

For cots, using those interconnecting foam floor tiles can protect the tent floor.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Don't know how I missed the OP, but here are my suggestions:
      For the cot, I have an Alps Mountaineering Ready Lite. It's pricey, but has served me well in my smaller tents. I prefer it over a cheaper low rise cot called the Byer Allagash 1. Because the legs on the Ready Light are tubular which don't dig into the floor like the wire legs on the Allagash and 2. Because the Ready Light packs up surprisingly small and the Allagash doesn't really pack well at all (hard to explain). Top the cot with a self-inflating pad and you're good to go. I recommend the Therm-a-Rest LuxuryMap. Most comfortable pad I've owned. For the floor, I bought a cheap 3x8 rug from Amazon. Look for Garland Rug Carnival Stripe 3 Ft. x 8 Ft. Random Earth Tone Runner Rug.

As far as tarps go, I have a new found respect for AquaQuest tarps. I have their 20x13. I never questioned their fabric but I originally thought they were a bit cheesy with the tieout loops. They seemed awfully thin to be holding up a lot of cloth. But, I just came back from a trip where the wind was crazy for almost three days straight. Winds approaching 20 miles an hour, off and on, and it took it all in stride. Of course, I do put bungee cords on every guyline, so that helps soften the strain.

Comment

Ahhh... this takes me back to the days of less complicated vehicle camping...
        For sleeping; in moderate temperatures, I used to use a thick blow up twin sized mattress (bring along a moving pad for insulation between the sleeping bag and the mattress in case of cooler temps). Blow it up with a fan type air pump)... drawback; leaks happen and can result in waking up on the hard, hard, cold ground...

My least packable, yet best sleeping cot has been a cot similar to the Coleman comfort smart cot (name changed).
        https://www.coleman.com/camp-furniture/camping-cots/comfortsmart-cot/SAP_2000020271.html
        https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020271-ComfortSmart-Camping-Cot/dp/B0075D2J2C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QWG1VBA55QFA&dchild=1&keywords=com fort+smart+cot&qid=1616161491&sprefix=comfort+smar t+cot%2Csporting%2C258&sr=8-3

The only downside to this cot, as I mentioned, is that its not a small (its regular cot size unfoded) nor light item; 'though I do manage to pack it and all the other supplies in the back of a (small) jeep TJ or a Jeep CJ... For best (incredible) comfort I used a second foam mattress on top of the included foam item. However this cot, as sold, from Coleman provides better sleeping than some/most beds that I have used
        (a wallymart travel pillow (with a pillow case) helps too....)
        My compact tent is a 9x9 Eureka dome and 2 of these will fit; I haven't tried 3 but it would be very tight (no walking space).

As far as tarps; I have not used them in so long that anything I could tell you is long out of date; except the guy strings are a trip hazard(especially in the dark).

Enjoy!

Edit here is a pic of the gear in the back of the Jeep (minus the camping chairs, and the port-a-pot.) the cot is folded and sits behind the driver's seat.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded Jeep LD 2018 50 DSCF0304.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	71249
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-19-2021, 08:08 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I would definitely shy away from an air mattress for two reasons. As Happy Joe pointed out, leaks do happen. I had one die on me several years ago and, with my aching back, waking up on the ground was not a pleasant experience. But the best reason to go with a cot is that it allows for extra storage space which is really nice to have when space is limited. I keep all my stuff sacks, small organizers and other stuff under it and still have plenty of room in my 2 person tent.

Comment

As an old guy who should probably quit this foolishness, I have a heavy duty cot. Worrying about the floor of my new Flexbow tent, I put together some cups... Claussen Garlic Dill caps, with a dollop of Shoe Goop spread between cap and a disc of 1/4" laun plywood. Cot feet fit cap and spread pressure.
            So theres my cot, self filling pad, 4.5# XL bag and if necessary 2 layers of wool blanket. Sleeping 500 feet from Lake Superior last week, I was warm and slept fine. Porcupine Mtns for 4 days. Kodiak tent was great. Springbar fly worked as desired, cooler tent and drier also. ( Union Bay Big Bear resort nice)
            enjoy your life

for fly
            Last edited by dennis b; 06-15-2021, 12:50 PM. Reason: adding photo

Comment

Sorry, I don't see a pic...

"Old enough to know better , yet young enough to do it anyway" is one of my preferred philosophies!

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
              X