New Tent help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tent help

I am in the market for a new tent to be used in spring, fall and start of winter. I am leaning more towards the cabelas west wind tent or a family/cabin style tent. I am 6ft6 so I need something I can stand in and get dressed. One thing I am struggling with on some of these tents is the amount of screening on the walls and ceiling. Now I know tent material alone wont keep me warm but will the screening make the cold worse? Should I throw a wool blanket over the screen? I honestly havent a clue what to look for when it comes to a tent but I do know I want a tub style floor and waterproof. Thank you for any recommendations?

Re: New Tent help

You're right about mesh being cold. I have a Kodiak Canvas Deluxe 10 x 10 and their 8-1/2 x 6, both of which are great in cold AND heat. Wanting to go out on the light side last Fall, I thought I could get by with one of my nylon tents and the same heater I use in the Kodiaks. BIG mistake! The thin nylon and ton of mesh made me wind up having to sleep in more clothes than ever. All that to say, if it's warmth you want - and can accept that canvas requires more care than nylon - Kodiak makes a 10 x 14 Deluxe that I think you'd like a lot. It's got a bathtub floor that's 16 oz vinyl with polyester reinforcement making it virtually indestructible. Soak the tent down and allow it to dry per manufacturer recommendation and the canvas will set up to handle just about anything Nature can throw at it.
    If you want to look into the Kodiaks, have a look at Competitive Edge Products. They have the most consistently low prices, occasionally with free ground tarps or sales.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 11-16-2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I agree; Mesh vents are not good for heat retention. I too struggled with finding a tent that I can stand up in.

I typically use a Eureka 9x9 (x6 foot tall interior) dome for quick weekenders (lets me stand upright only in the center). However I use a piece of relatively heavy clear, flexible, plastic (walmart fabric dept.) to cover the top(and reduce the wind) vents, keeping the interior warmer.

For extended trips, with better head room. I use a (supposedly) 10x10 actually closer to 9.5 x 9.5 Standing Room tent that uses a canopy roof and frame.... the interior room is awesome even fits my taller friends; However I haven't found a really good way to heat it during the late fall/early spring trips (a Mr heater big buddy heater, kind of works, though the fuel use is very excessive, and can have running at altitude problems, IMO.

Usually propane heaters produce sometimes troublesome condensation and need proper venting (a vent up high and another down low can reduce/control this, 'though I usually just use a GOOD sleeping bag and don't even try to heat the tents at night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0313.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	71230 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0282.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	71229

Enjoy!

(Edit) P.S. the best(warmest tents that I have used have been made of heavy materials.
      An antique Coleman canvas cabin tent worked well; warm, good headroom and interior space
      As did a Military GP small heavy canvas (very heavy, quite large) really needs several people to set up; was all two of us could do to load it into a (tall) pickup after it got rained on.
      I also have had extensive experience with a Cabela's Alaknak (12x12 (moderately heavy good interior height and room but a bit of a hassle for one guy to set up.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	71231
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-08-2020, 08:51 AM. Reason: added Alaknak pic
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        You're right about mesh being cold. I have a Kodiak Canvas Deluxe 10 x 10 and their 8-1/2 x 6, both of which are great in cold AND heat. Wanting to go out on the light side last Fall, I thought I could get by with one of my nylon tents and the same heater I use in the Kodiaks. BIG mistake! The thin nylon and ton of mesh made me wind up having to sleep in more clothes than ever. All that to say, if it's warmth you want - and can accept that canvas requires more care than nylon - Kodiak makes a 10 x 14 Deluxe that I think you'd like a lot. It's got a bathtub floor that's 16 oz vinyl with polyester reinforcement making it virtually indestructible. Soak the tent down and allow it to dry per manufacturer recommendation and the canvas will set up to handle just about anything Nature can throw at it.
        If you want to look into the Kodiaks, have a look at Competitive Edge Products. They have the most consistently low prices, occasionally with frees ground tarps or sales.
        Informative for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          If you want to look into the Kodiaks, have a look at Competitive Edge Products. They have the most consistently low prices, occasionally with frees ground tarps or sales.
          +1
          You won't survive in a regular nylon tent in winter, they are mostly 3-season tents. Canvas tents are much more expensive but they perform well in any situation.
          You will also need 2-3 strong tall people, at least one 6-7ft A frame ladder although we used two and several hours of time to set up the tent if you go for the 10x10 as it comes in three giant boxes that contain 3 giant nylon bags two bags of poles and connectors weighing 97lbs a piece and the canvas which weighs 145lbs on it's own.
          After all, most experts suggest Kodiak Canvas as the best manufacturer of canvas tents
          https://wildproofgear.com/best-canvas-tents/

Comment

Here you have a list of best family tents with a screen room, with a variety of styles and sizes, all in the range of 100 – 279 ft² (9 – 26 m²), and with the capacity of 6 – 20 people.

Comment

Here you have a list of best family tents with a screen room, with a variety of styles and sizes, all in the range of 100 – 279 ft² (9 – 26 m²), and with the capacity of 6 – 20 people.

Comment

Can you please tell me that where to buy tent ins Australia?

Comment

Past tents have included 3 canvas, 2 nylon, 2 Gore-Tex and now back to canvas. I recently purchased an 8 X 9 Kodiak, but I also bought a Springbar fly to add additional layer from sun, rain and possibly snow. I'm optimistic that I made the wisest choice for me. Gore tex was the best fabric for light weight but there was no standing. Coleman Oasis was the best for our family of four. Roomy , airy, awnings over windows made for open windows in light rain. Got heavier with my age. All tents went to childrens families. Presently alone , so the 8X9 should be perfect. I'll try to post pic.
                  Never mind look at " Springbar fly "
                  enjoy your day

link for Springbar Fly : [URL="https://springbar.com/products/stormfly-1?variant=39276927254605"]STORMFLY
                  Last edited by dennis b; 06-30-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

A good tent is 10 X 10 or smaller (most level sites don't get much bigger) and has anodized aluminum poles (very few fiberglas tents have quality poles and bigger than 10 x 10 usually means too much poles vs. fabric), a high-denier nylon fabric, double wall construction with inner mesh to minimize condensation. Any tent is an enclosure to raise the temps by about 10 degrees, and even a Coleman NorthStar lantern will safely warm up your 6-man tent at night for relaxing before bed. Then turn it off, get into a good Marmot down bag over a ThermaRest sleeping pad and sleep to morning. We have Sierra Designs brands in 2 and 6 man versions. The last one I retired was a 1988 Base Camp 4-man Sierra Designs tent that I wore out after 22 years of frequent camping. Quality is worth paying for, and I"m never going back to the canvas tents of my youth.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

For a tent that accommodates your height and various seasons, consider the Cabela's West Wind or a family/cabin style tent. To combat cold drafts, look for tents with adjustable mesh or add a wool blanket over the screening. Prioritize a tub-style floor and waterproof material for weather resistance. Checking the tent in person before purchase can ensure it meets your specific needs.

Comment

Working...
                      X