Analysis Paralysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis Paralysis

Need some help with deciding what to do about my tent situation. Note that I am not backpacking - this is for car camping.

I presently own two tents.

Moss Titan GT
    I absolutely LOVE this tent, but I'm afraid it is past its prime. The rainfly seam tape is yellowing and flaking and makes a huge mess every time I take it out. The cord in all my poles needs replacing, and the whole thing smells of nearly 20 years of campfires and aging polyurethane.
    Things I love about this tent (while it was new, anyway):
    • I especially love the ability to close up the interior tent completely if I want to.
    • Without the rainfly on, this tent essentially converts to a wonderful warm day tent given the large windows.
    • Nice and roomy while being extremely stable. I've never had to worry about high winds in this thing.
    • Materials are all very high quality and heavy-duty.
    • Very large vestibule with its own pole that ensured water could not get into the interior tent while it was raining or wet.

Things I disliked about this tent (while it was new):
    • Nothing I can think of, lol

NEMO Galaxi 2P
    This is my most recent purchase. Picked this tent up a couple years ago now but I have some issues with it. The interior tent is almost entirely mesh - and while this is nice for condensation, it was not pleasant to sleep in. It performed fairly well during some heavy rain except that the rainfly is designed in such a way that rain was actually splashing under the rainfly and through the mesh inner tent. Heavy wind would likely have soaked the interior but I can't say this for sure. This tent was obviously designed for being as light as possible and I've now come to the conclusion that such tents (which seem to make up the vast majority of tents these days) are not for me.

So I am now looking for a new tent.

I'm having several problems with my tent search:
    1. All the features I like about the Moss tent are found only in 4 season tents and 3-4 season tents seem to be extremely rare (and are generally not very well rated). The 4 season tents are also the most expensive and I'm really not looking to spend 800 dollars.
    2. I'm starting to get into cold weather camping but will probably never actually camp in the snow - however whatever tent I get should be able to handle snow should it occur as I'll be camping in the months when snows are extremely rare but not unheard-of.

What I'm looking for in a tent:
    • 3-4 season capability
    • The ability to COMPLETELY close the interior tent if I want, but...
    • also has the ability to open up rather well on warms days
    • good quality materials - I don't need the tent to be light. In fact, out of all the features a tent can have, weight is the least of my concerns.
    • Less that 400 dollars or at least in that neighborhood.

Other considerations:
    The tent only really needs to accommodate me and a queen size mattress - but I've found the NEMO 2P to be a bit small for my wants.
    I hear smaller tents are better for cold weather. How big of a deal is tent size for keeping comfortable in cold weather?

Thanks for reading through my rambling - would love advice and suggestions. It's possible what I want disappeared with Moss tents and I'm just out of luck.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

If you can tolerate a double bed instead of a queen, I'd say look for the Kodiak 8.5 x 6 canvas tent. You could probably get a queen to fit, but that might be a bit awkward getting in and out of the tent. Canvas is great in the cold and actually cooler in heat, both because of the insulation cotton provides. I love the 2 person so much, I rarely take out my 10 x 10 Kodiak. Competitive Edge has them usually around $300.
    https://www.competitiveedgeproducts....mpaign=product

Comment

Working...
    X