Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Tent Camping

Hello Folks

I am Michael. I live in the Stanislaus National Forest just off Highway 4 near Arnold CA. I'm 69 years old and have camped since I was a kid. I am a solo camper, always camping alone.

Until recently all of that camping was tent camping (starting with the Boy Scouts back in the 1950s and 60s). I enjoyed my tent camping immensely.

But in recent years my buddy talked me into trailer camping. He and his wife have a big 24' trailer that needs a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to tow, and it is pretty much limited to defined campsites. His wife even prefers ones with full hookups.

I bought a little teardrop (9x5') and although it was intriguing, it was too tight... felt like sleeping in a coffin, difficult to get in and out of. It had a kitchen around back on the outside. After a couple nights in that, sold it.

Bought a Sylvansport GO, which is basically a cheap Asian tent on a very sophisticated USA made aluminum trailer. But still, it's a tent that cost $10,000 because it has wheels. It gets you up off the ground, but otherwise not much different than a tent, and the tent portion of it is poor quality. After a couple nights camping in it, sold it.

Decided to go for a bigger trailer, and bought the smallest Forest River RPOD (the 171). It was closer to what my buddy's wife prefers and farther from what I prefer. It has air conditioning, TV, microwave/convection oven (all of which need AC power to work). I have no intention of camping where AC power is available, so all that stuff is worthless to me. Although it is 18 1/2 feet long and 6 1/2 feet wide, it's very cramped inside. I find it difficult to get in and out of the short queen bed. The "wet bath" is tiny, too small for me to sit in comfortably without leaving the door open. The idea of showering in there is absolutely absurd. Not for me. After two nights, put it up for sale and have sold it. I failed to think it through and made another expensive mistake.

So, I am going back to tent camping. Part of the idea of trailer camping was that it is easier, but it is most certainly NOT easier. Tent camping allows me to camp in dispersed camping areas in the National Forest, away from other people. The places I like are often only accessible via 4wd trails. None of those trailers was going to be able to get where I want.

I bought the latest model of the REI Kingdom 6 (just me, but I like a LOT of room). It's quite a bit different than the Kingdom 6 I had 10 years ago. The whole pole structure has changed. I set it up once with my buddy in his backyard and it was easy. I am sure I can set it up alone (and usually will be alone), but not as easily as the old K6 I had.

I also got one of the Teton Sports Outfitter XXL cots I will use in the K6 along with an Exped Megamat LXW pad. That is a super comfortable sleeping setup. I still have all my other tent camping gear I have had for years.

One complication is that now I have to sleep with a CPAP machine or I spend the night choking and not sleeping. I have a setup that works well (a 12v 100ah Renogy GEL battery that will power the CPAP for a couple nights and a Renogy solar suitcase setup that will at least partially recover the charge on the battery if it is out in the sun and aimed right all day.

So, that's me. Looking forward to camping with this new setup.

Re: Back to Tent Camping

Welcome!

Finding an RV that fits your wants and needs can be tough. Sounds like tent camping is your best bet at this point.

I'm just north of you and also prefer dry camping (no hookups) in the national forests. I have a short motorhome and a folding trailer and they work well for me. I'm not going way out on 4wd trails, but can reach most campgrounds easily. I spent a lot of time figuring out what I wanted and needed before buying.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Welcome
      rv camping is definitely a specific style of camping
      i wouldnt mind it on occasion but wouldnt want it to be my primary way of camping
      i prefer backpacking when solo and campgrounds when camping with kids

For your cpap,
      camping with cpap is more and more common
      if you search a bit will find posts where pepple have are charging their cpaps and getting more time out with it

Comment

Welcome, michaeln

I'm in the same frame of mind. Just bought a popup that I'm not happy with so now I'm looking to either trade it for an enclosed trailer or sell it to buy one. I've figured out that I'd be much better off keeping all my tent camping gear in a trailer. I only bought the popup thinking it'd be great to have everything already stored so camping would be a throw-the-clothes-and-food-in-the-truck-hook-up-and-go affair. Unfortunately, it takes me a lot longer for me to set up the pop up than it does to set up the tarp, tent and solar setup. If it wouldn't limit the places I could take it, I'd be really happy with a 19 foot or so box trailer but, as it is, tents is it.

Comment

I like tents; tried many but settled on an easy to setup eureka 9x9x6' dome for quicky weekenders and a standup tent (cube) with roughly the same footprint but you can stand straight up anywhere in it; for longer trips.
          Everything fits in the Jeep.
          I completely agree with 4WD being the way to camp... forget the crowds and numbered sites; get out where there is no one else!... where the deer, bear and elk come out of hiding in the evening...

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-08-2019, 09:13 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yup, just sold my new Kodiak Stealth. Truth be told, I really wasn't that enthused about it. The A/C was nice, but don't get me wrong, I just like a tent. I've been through the pop up camper process, 24-31 foot travel trailers, and most recently the little Kodiak Stealth. I agree with you MacGyver, I am actually planning a small trailer build with a roof top tent that I could throw my Jackson Liska on and be gone in 60 seconds...well maybe not that fast. The bright side... I have a few months of Louisiana summer heat to build the trailer before fall camping weather returns.

Comment

Your camping journey has been quite an adventure! It's great to hear you're returning to tent camping with the REI Kingdom 6, enjoying the space it offers. Your setup with the Teton Sports cot, solar power for the CPAP, and camping gear shows your dedication to comfortable off-grid camping. Wishing you many enjoyable and peaceful nights under the stars in the Stanislaus National Forest!

Comment

Working...
              X