Does anyone own a Kodiak Flex-Bow tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone own a Kodiak Flex-Bow tent

It's time to replace my tent and after looking at various options I am leaning toward the Kodiak Flex-Bow tent. The reviews look good but would like to hear from fellow campers who have used one. Did you like it? What are the pros and cons of this tent? Would you buy it again?

I know this is a heavy tent at about 70 lbs but I am a car camper so weight is not an issue. Most of my camping tends to be in either cold or hot weather. I rarely find myself out in pleasant weather. I need a tent with good ventilation for hot weather and one the seals up well to protect me from the elements in bad weather. I am about 6 feet tall and like to be able to stand up in the tent and prefer not to have to duck down when going through the door. One of the uses for this tent to to camp during hunting season. The area I hunt in western Oklahoma is always windy. 30 MPH winds are normal and 50+ Mph winds are not unusual. It is usually dry in this area so dust is also a big problem.

In short I need a all season tent that I can stand up in, Does well in high winds and seals up well to keep the dust out. I am budget conscious but am willing to spend what it takes to get a new tent that meets my needs and will last for many years. I absolutely hate cheap gear that has to be replaced every couple of years.
    All comments about the Kodiak or any other tent are welcome.
    Thanks

Re: Does anyone own a Kodiak Flex-Bow tent

I had a flex bow and did not like it
    i left it out long term and it rotted
    the flex design pulls too much on the canvas which opens up the weave making it prone to absorb water
    everytime it rained i had pools of water in the tent i prefer canvas that hangs/loosly draped instead of flex bow design

Comment

Canvas is a great choice for durable tents that will stand up to the elements. They're warmer in cold weather and insulate better when it's hot. I own two Kodiaks - a 10x10 and an 8.5x6 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one but I don't expect to be needing one any time soon. I'll admit that I've wondered about the tension the Flexbows put on the top, but I don't worry too much because I almost always put a tarp over every tent I'm in whether it's nylon or canvas. My 10x10 is five years old, been out on dozens of trips in all kinds of extreme weather and, with only a few minor stains, still looks new. I've had my 8.5x6 out in sideways rain without a tarp and didn't have any leak problems. That should tell you something about their weather resistance - I've never done their recommendation to soak down the tent to tighten up the weave before using them. I certainly wouldn't rate any tent's durability on using it long term. Canvas, nylon and polyester are all subject to UV degradation which can kill a tent fairly quickly. (Also why I use tarps) Kodiak even mentions that in their FAQs (Are there any special considerations for extended use situations?), alluding to their not being designed for long term setups. The only tents, if you want to call them that, that I know of that are designed for long term living, are yurts which are made of considerably heavier and more heavily treated fabric.

All that to say, I love mine, to the point that the four nylon tents that I own have been pretty much relegated to collecting dust. I recently got nostalgic and took out a nylon tent in late Fall and instantly regretted it. Cold and drafty made for some miserable sleeping.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Terasac How long did you have yours up before you started having problems. I usually camp once a year for about 8-10 days and weekends about once a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Diveralan View Post
          Thanks for the replies. Terasac How long did you have yours up before you started having problems. I usually camp once a year for about 8-10 days and weekends about once a month.
          I set it up on remote part of my land in northern NY
          in winter it was a chore to get that beast 1/2 mile through frozen swamp
          I was hoping to use it as a base camp location
          after about a month, it had rot issues,
          roof and bottom edges took the worst of it,
          leaving it up it would never get a chance to dry out so it rotted away

Comment

He set it up in the spring and by the fall it was rotted out left it up all summer. I used mine for weekend camping trips for about 6 years probably 2--3 weeks a year, musty on the weekend. Still a rock solid tent, i just upgraded to a camper this year. Still have the tent, of you use it as intended, i bet you could get at least a decade out of it, maybe 2. Just don't expect Amy tent to replace a house.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Read here
              http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ght=#post41408

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                He set it up in the spring and by the fall it was rotted out left it up all summer. I used mine for weekend camping trips for about 6 years probably 2--3 weeks a year, musty on the weekend. Still a rock solid tent, i just upgraded to a camper this year. Still have the tent, of you use it as intended, i bet you could get at least a decade out of it, maybe 2. Just don't expect Amy tent to replace a house.
                it rotted an was unuseable in 1 month
                Have spoken to a few canvas related companies, they all stated do not stretch the canvas
                that is a flaw in the design

Comment

ended up getting the 10X10 Flex-Bow. I set it up and sprayed it down with water and left up overnight to dry. The next day a front came in along with 40 mph winds. The Flex-bow held up well in the wind. I haven't had an opportunity to sleep in it yet. I'm looking forward to getting out soon to try it out for a week. Thanks everyone tor your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Diveralan View Post
                    ended up getting the 10X10 Flex-Bow. I set it up and sprayed it down with water and left up overnight to dry. The next day a front came in along with 40 mph winds. The Flex-bow held up well in the wind. I haven't had an opportunity to sleep in it yet. I'm looking forward to getting out soon to try it out for a week. Thanks everyone tor your comments.
                    keep us posted on how you like it.

Comment

Just started looking at the 8 person version of this tent. We are in Oklahoma as well. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Comment

About the only improvement you can make, is to change the tent stakes out to Spax bolts from home depot. i think i went 3/8 x 8". you can run them in with a drill and socket. Much easier than pounding them in and pulling them out. someone on here came up with that idea, and it works like a charm

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          someone on here came up with that idea, and it works like a charm
                          You're welcome LOL Full story here
                          If you don't feel like reading all of that, a reminder to go to boltdepot.com to get double thick stainless fender washers. The thin garbage they sell in hardware stores these days just don't cut it.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 02-11-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I just joined the forum, but I’ve been a lurker for quite some time, finally decided to join and post. I bought a 10 x 10 Kodiak flex bow early last year, and I have had the chance to use it for 3 separate occasions. All have been in fall and winter and it has rained and snowed on all 3 trips. It has held up well, never let water in and stood up well in the wind (one side bowed in quite a bit because of the 40+ mph winds but never did I think the tent was going on going to come down). I’ve owned and used about a dozen tents in my life and this one is my favorite.

I think my favorite part is the fact that the canvas stays more stable in temperature than the nylon tents do. I typically go camping in cold temperatures, and when you rub up against the side of a nylon tent with your skin it sends a cold shock through your back and just plain sucks. This tent even in the freezing cold snow, was tolerable to the touch. It also rained 2 solid days the first time I used it and you could touch the side of the tent and no water would come through. That doesn’t happen in a nylon tent. I have a picture of my early setup as my avatar, I have made some very subtle changes to it, but for the most part it is still set up that way. I did add a Mr. heater buddy to my gear after I switched from a Eureka Apex tent because my body heat was no longer able to heat the tent. While I can still be okay in the Kodiak tent without the heat, I have young daughters that will eventually be camping with me and want to make sure they stay warm. Having the daughters camp with me was the main reason for buying the Kodiak, but I am glad I did it.

If you anyone is on the fence about the flex bow tent, I’d say it is a great choice, but also don’t be averse to making changes as you need to. Although the wife hates it, I am constantly adding/subtracting, or modifying my setup and gear. It’s fun for me, but can be expensive. A few years ago I would have scoffed at having a heater in my gear, but kids change your mindset.

Comment

Working...
                            X