Winter camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter camping

Anyone do any winter camping? Always been tempted to do some at our camp property. Curious what type of tent is used?

Re: Winter camping

Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons for camping. Winter, at least for me, calls for a canvas tent - with a heater. I like to rough it smoothly.

Comment

I camp all year long. However, I hammock camp. Actually, staying warmer was one of the top reasons I switched to a hammock.

Comment

Haven't done any snow camping for several years; however I agree with MacG canvass (as heavy as possible).

The last time I went snow camping I used the Cabela's alaknak 12x12...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	cabelas alaknak.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	71098
        Worked fine but tended to accumulate condensation if used with propane heat (this model has since been improved with better ventilation).

I have used previous 9x9 domes, and they too worked OK but were the coldest of my tents (recommend warming the tent before entering/exiting a very good sleeping bag).
        If I were just going to do an overnighter/weekender I would likely just use the ol' Eureka 9x9 dome with partially blocked ventilation and just grit my teeth and do it using the heavy sleeping bag...

Name:	DSCF0313.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	71100

If I were going cold weather (below freezing) camping for more than a weekend, now, I think that I would probably bring the standing room/canopy tent and install the canopy walls to make it a double wall tent.

Name:	DSCF0282.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	71099
        This too is a quite heavy tent mostly due to the steel canopy that supports it.

I would only use these tents because I currently have them; not sure if I would purchase a tent, especially one of these, just for winter camping as I am not that into cold...

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I'm a four season camper.

Name:	1800130_10202611176390540_3975943000843396691_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	71101Click image for larger version

Name:	26952627_10209972587141208_6301819620209891664_o.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	71102

Like MacGyver...I prefer the fall and winter seasons (no bugs, no crowds, no unreasonable heat, empty trails, etc etc). Unlike MacGyver...I prefer to do my winter camping in a poly/nylon double wall tent which has a full rainfly and an inner tent with minimal mesh "windows/panels". These panels also have fabric covers which can be zipped closed/open depending how much ventilation/condensation prevention one needs. Strong pole structure to resist snow loads (usually 7 or more). Just my personal preference on canvas vs poly. Pictures above show my Field&Stream Cloudpeak 4P...which is a clone of the Cabelas Alaskan Guide series of tents (great for winter).
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

i winter camp, but northern NY has some long brutal winters,
            i try to avoid 0 degree temps, but in northern NY thats most of the winter
            i use same tents as other seasons including hammock on occassion
            just increase my bedding and ground cloth for insulation,
            the additional insulation also means I camp closer to the car than other seasons

Comment

I'm a four season camper, but I camp in lower elevation in the winter so no snow.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post

i winter camp, but northern NY has some long brutal winters,
                i try to avoid 0 degree temps, but in northern NY thats most of the winter
                i use same tents as other seasons including hammock on occassion
                just increase my bedding and ground cloth for insulation how to insulate a tent for winter camping,
                the additional insulation also means I camp closer to the car than other seasons
                I am thinking of trying camping out in snow, with a tent. The tent I have is a dome tent and I have used it before in temperatures of -5C and it was cold but not unbearable. Is anyone expert in the field of staying warm in a tent in the snow, and do you have any tips. I would probably use two sleeping bags, one 4 season and one 3 season. I would also have a gas cooker to heat water for a hot water bottle. Maybe also a neoprene face mask and a hat. There must be some extreme campers out here with other tips.

Comment

When camping in winter, you must keep warm. It is important to prepare a heating tool.

Comment

I haven't winter camped for several years, my advise (based on camping just below tree line in the Rocky mountains);
                    Wear minimal clothing inside the sleeping bag, keep the bag cleaner with a bag liner.
                    Use a bag that is warm enough,
                    use a bag with multiple layers so that it can be adjusted warmer or cooler,
                    Wear a wool stocking cap to bed, and pull the covers up over your head (breathe through an air hole).
                    have good insulation beneath your bag (I used 2 foam pads between the cot and my bag),
                    Having a problem with cold feet; i use a fake fur bathmat alongside the cot so it can be grabbed in the middle of the night and thrown over the foot of the cot/bag for additional insulation.
                    Try using a small heater to pre-warm the tent before entering or leaving the sleeping bag; then shut it off.
                    My current tents have minimal venting, just enough to keep the water condensation away (you can exhale up to a quart of moisture per night)... If you use an oxygen consuming device be sure you have extra ventilation to be safe. But extra ventilation equates to greater heat loss; its a balancing act.
                    I've tried pretty much every type of tent heater and found that they all have draw backs the best heaters, IMO, have the flame outside the tent and either blow warm air into the tent or use a separate, in the tent, radiator.... for preheating the tent I use a radiant heater accessory, on a stove, then turn it off, and rely on the sleeping bag to keep me warm.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-14-2023, 10:37 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Winter camping is fantastic! Your choice of tent depends on the conditions. Four-season tents are great for harsh winters, while three-season ones can work with modifications. Hot tents offer coziness, and ultralight tents are an option for experienced campers. For minimalism, try bivy sacks. Remember to pack warm gear and check the weather forecast for a safe trip.
                      Visit star tents

Comment

I love doing winter camping in truck campers and it one of the best experience. I will definitely share it some time.

Comment

Working...
                        X