the bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bean

i love to make a pot of coffee in the morning when camping. Old school percolator coffee pot. i buy coarsely ground coffee beans so it doesn`t clog the openings. Still i don`t get enough circulation and if i leave the pot percolating too long , it has a burnt taste. Any suggestions. Thanks

Re: the bean

don't overfill the pot
    water level should be at or just below bottom of filter basket
    I fill with water before putting coffee in the basket so I can see water level just start come through bottom of filter basket
    once it starts to perc, give it no more than 5 mins of percolating and take it off the heat
    keep an eye on it so you know when it starts to perc, and can time it
    if your cooking on a propane camp stove, try turning down the flame a little, to something like half wat between on and high,
    some propane stoves are hard to finesse the flame and get stuck on high

Comment

Off and on, I'll bring our percolater. I follow along the same lines prep as terasec (filling it to bottom of basket, lower heat, timed to your taste). However, I use a finer grind and utilize a paper filter "basket" for the grounds. Works great - faster perc on the coffee w fine grind (less chance of burnt taste), no grounds in the bottom of the cup, and easy cleanup.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My mom gave me her old percolator - since I didn't and don't drink coffee, I didn't want to spend money on something that only got used on rare occasions.

The only thing I remember iis that if you don't have a filter, you can use a paper towel. But whatever, use something! Fathers don't like grounds in their cups.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thank you all for your insights.

Comment

Percolators are definitely a long time staple for camping. Easy to use whether it's on a stove or over a fire. But that burnt taste is just a product of how they work - all they're really doing is recirculate brewed coffee over and over again. Personally, I'm done with percolators. Drip coffee, using a collapsible cone and filter is simple enough and tastes better than perked - no way to burn the brew. But a French Press puts every other brewing method to shame.

Comment

I couldnt get the percolator to work well in my camp pot, so tried the old fashioned way. I added one extra cup/mug worth of grounds and water over how much coffee I wanted to make, got the water simmering, dumped the grounds in, stir, let it simmers a few minutes low simmer, then took it off and let it sit a couple-3 minutes before use. Poor slowly, very few grounds come out after letting it set. Toss the last sip in the cup, if theres any grounds, they are at the bottom of the cup. Also toss the last extra cup of water/grounds that are sacrificial on the bottom of the pot and rinse well.

It makes a very strong and smooth coffee. After watching me make it, the ex wouldnt drink any the first time we camped, then gave in. After trying it, she said it was the best coffee shed ever had. I make it at home now and then for fun. Try it at home, see if it works for you. No cold water, eggs shells or other magic stuff required, contrary to common lore. Works in a saucepan also if no coffee pot.

Comment

Since there are so many preferences for coffee taste; I would recommend experimenting at home until you find a recipe that gives you what you want...
                If starting with a new pot throw out the first couple or 3 of pots full, as new, or freshly washed, percolators typically make poor coffee...
                Personally I prefer Maxwell House (original, medium)... the brand of coffee, and grind, makes a huge difference...
                Select a coffee measuring spoon (all table ware teaspoons are not the same) to be used only, and forever, to measure your coffee...
                Shake the coffee container to loosen the ground coffee.
                Start with one heaping teaspoon of coffee per cup and one teaspoon for the pot then perk for 10 minutes... note; do not overfill with water, as noted above, the maximum water level should be below the basket.
                Note the color of the coffee as it perks (there is a reason for the transparent knob on the percolator's lid... and the smell...After 10 minutes try a half a cup for taste...
                if it too strong reduce the perk time, or coffee amount (smaller heaping teaspoons), on future pots if its too weak dump it back in and give it another 5 minutes of so.
                If it has an acid bite; switch coffee brands.
                If it has a stale taste use fresher coffee, or clean out the pot with soap and water then throw out the next couple of pots full (re-beak it in).
                Like cast iron pans washing with soap and water should be avoided; just rinse the pot out after use and prop it upside down to drain/dry...

Note; perk time and coffee temperature will change with altitude so even after you have mastered the percolating at home it will be different when camping at altitude...
                Percolators typically let some grounds through the basket just don't drink the last table spoon of coffee in the cup/ toss it into the weeds/sink.
                If you absolutely must have drip coffee Coleman makes a fair stovetop drip coffee maker...

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-01-2018, 09:20 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you keep having issues, I am also on Team French Press. Seriously amazing coffee with minimal hassle. I’m not even a huge coffee drinker and I love French Press coffee when camping
                  Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                  Nights under the stars:
                  2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                  2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                    Since there are so many preferences for coffee taste; I would recommend experimenting at home until you find a recipe that gives you what you want...
                    If starting with a new pot throw out the first couple or 3 of pots full, as new, or freshly washed, percolators typically make poor coffee...
                    Personally I prefer Maxwell House (original, medium)... the brand of coffee, and grind, makes a huge difference...
                    Select a coffee measuring spoon (all table ware teaspoons are not the same) to be used only, and forever, to measure your coffee...
                    Shake the coffee container to loosen the ground coffee.
                    Start with one heaping teaspoon of coffee per cup and one teaspoon for the pot then perk for 10 minutes... note; do not overfill with water, as noted above, the maximum water level should be below the basket.
                    Note the color of the coffee as it perks (there is a reason for the transparent knob on the percolator's lid... and the smell...After 10 minutes try a half a cup for taste...
                    if it too strong reduce the perk time, or coffee amount (smaller heaping teaspoons), on future pots if its too weak dump it back in and give it another 5 minutes of so.
                    If it has an acid bite; switch coffee brands.
                    If it has a stale taste use fresher coffee, or clean out the pot with soap and water then throw out the next couple of pots full (re-beak it in).
                    Like cast iron pans washing with soap and water should be avoided; just rinse the pot out after use and prop it upside down to drain/dry...

Note; perk time and coffee temperature will change with altitude so even after you have mastered the percolating at home it will be different when camping at altitude...
                    Percolators typically let some grounds through the basket just don't drink the last table spoon of coffee in the cup/ toss it into the weeds/sink.
                    If you absolutely must have drip coffee Coleman makes a fair stovetop drip coffee maker...

Enjoy!

I totally agree with Joe on everything. I want to add there is a difference in the pot you use. When we first started camping we had an aluminum percolator. We only needed to perk for 4 min but as we used it we didn’t really care for the taste of the aluminium. We went to a stainless pot ant the holes in the basket are larger so we have to perk for 10 minutes. We also use filters. Yo can us regular filters jus cut a little hole for the stem.

I also love love my French press but I hate to clean it. Especially when camping. We try to practice LNT style of camping so we try to keep a very clean camp. So cleaning up spilled coffee ground is a pain.

When we are traveling and just want a quick breakfast we use Starbucks Via. It is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                      We try to practice LNT style of camping so we try to keep a very clean camp. So cleaning up spilled coffee ground is a pain.
                      Coffee grounds are rich in nitrogen and good for plants that like acidic soil. They also aid in composting. A flick of the wrist to scatter the grounds, a quick rinse with a few ounces of water and a wipe with a paper towel... I wouldn't call that messing up Mother Nature at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Coffee grounds are rich in nitrogen and good for plants that like acidic soil. They also aid in composting. A flick of the wrist to scatter the grounds, a quick rinse with a few ounces of water and a wipe with a paper towel... I wouldn't call that messing up Mother Nature at all.
                        You’re right about coffee grounds being good for the soil unless the soil in the area is not acidic. I compost the grounds at home and put coffee on my acid loving plants. In camp coffee grounds can change the ph of the soil in the area you’re camping in and attract animals. We occasionally camp where there are bears and we don’t want to attract any wild animal to our campsite. We have not been bothered by bears in camp even where others in the same campground are reporting heavy activity. It is the same when camping in our home state, our campsite is rarely disturbed by small animals while others in the campground are complaining. Also it is just easier to always practice the same philosophy all of the time when camping.

Everyone has their own opinions and that’s what makes us unique.

Comment

Working...
                        X