When to waterproof/seam seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to waterproof/seam seal?

Google has failed me on this specific question.

I have ave an REI Kingdom and a Eureka Copper Canyon. Both came waterproof and sealed new and both manufacturers said nothing had to be done prior to use. At what point should I apply new waterproofing and seam sealing to them? They were used for 3 years and then in storage for 3 years. No visible issues that I can see during the test set up.

Thanks!
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: When to waterproof/seam seal?

Those are good brand names factory waterproofing is probably just fine
    My tents usually need to be re-treated after 5-10 yrs of moderate use
    once they get +10 yrs old i generally spray the fly and lower portion of tent with store bought waterproofing spray will do so about once a year
    i only have 2 tents i have sealed the seams both are about 20 years old
    if seems are taped will know needs to be seam sealed when tape starts coming off

Comment

Personally, because I always put a tarp over my tents, I've never bothered waterproofing or seam sealing any of 'em and never had an issue despite having sat through some horrendous storms. But looking through the links here, the consensus seems to be do it when you see a problem.

Comment

sunnymw - I think you will be ok without doing additional sealing to those tents. Both the Eureka Copper and REI Kingdom are quality constructed tents with thick denier fabrics, taped seams, and decent waterproof coatings. You are a wise camper doing a pre-trip practice/reminder set up, visual inspection for damage/parts, etc.

Since your tents are 6 years old (3 years of use, 3 years of storage), I would first inspect the seam tape throughout to ensure it is intact and not cracking. Secondly....both of these tents use a polyurethane (PU) coating on the fabrics for waterproofing (silicone waterproofing coating behaves differently). Over time...(and especially if the tent was not stored properly-ie. moisture), this PU coating can begin to break down. Severe breakdown appears as if the coating is actually "lifting" off the fabric in cracked flat pieces (like spilled wax). This is pretty noticeable right away. More likely what you will notice if the coating is just beginning to break down is that you can feel the coating on the fabric becoming "sticky". If you go to unroll/unpack the tent and the fabric is sticking together...you may have the beginning of a problem. Normally....you shouldn't see coating breakdown occurring for a long long time (assuming good maintenance/storage habits). The manufacturer's have improved the quality of the PU coatings/adherence over the years...but breakdown still can occur...so it's always good to be aware and keep an eye on it. Esp as your tents age.

All that said....a quality tent, 6 years old, properly used and stored, really shouldn't have any waterproofing issues. For assurance prior to your trip.....you can always do the backyard set-up and add a good water hose test to the practice pitching/visual inspection/parts inventory.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

I am relieved to know it’s PU... I used to cloth diaper and so I’m intimately familiar with the signs of the PU liners starting to break down (which obviously happens much more quickly when you wash something daily).
          Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
          Nights under the stars:
          2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
          2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

One of the main overlooked requirements of owning an (RV) is to stay on top of maintenance before small repairs turn into bigger ones. Inspect your RV especially your roof. Even the tiniest of roof leaks could become a bigger problem if you don’t quickly repair it with Liquid RV Roof. This is a protectant that seals in the air temperatures resulting in a comfortable interior and seals out the water, dirt, wind, and other debris that you want staying on the outside. Make a call at : 855-281-0940. Our experts are always willing to help.

Comment

While your tents seem fine now, after several years of use and storage, applying new waterproofing and seam sealing can proactively maintain their integrity. Over time, the coatings can degrade, so a refresh could prevent future issues when camping. Follow the manufacturers' guidelines for the best results and consider this step before your next trip to ensure continued protection.

Comment

Working...
              X