Do I have everything...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have everything...??

It's been over three years since we've been camping. I used to go with my ex, and the camping gear got split when we split. I think I've reacquired most of what I need, but if someone could look over my list and suggest anything I may have forgotten, I would be very grateful. We will be going on a trip close to home to make sure we have everything (before going back to Florida 7 hours away in the spring).

Large gear:
    *REI tent, footprint, etc
    *Eureka tent, footprint, etc
    *Air mattress
    *Bunk cots
    *BoM cot
    *Camp chairs x5
    *Cooler x2
    *Noah's Tarp and poles OR screen tent
    *Small aluminum table

Bedding:
    *Pillow x5
    *Blanket x5

Personal:
    *Clothing x3 sets
    *Toiletries (tooth brush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap)
    *Jackets, tennis shoes, flip flops
    *Towels, washcloths x5
    *Bug spray
    *Sunscreen
    *First aid kit/ sting spray
    *Laundry bag
    *Sunglasses
    *Hats
    *Extra hair ties
    *Pull-ups

Cooking
    *Propane stove
    *Spare propane containers
    *Charcoal, lighter fluid
    *Fire starter
    *Grill lighter
    *Marshmallow sticks
    *SPatula
    *Tongs
    *Cooking and serving spoon
    *Dishes and silverware; paper plates and cups
    *Kitchen knife
    *Cutting board
    *Table cloth and clips/weights
    *Aluminum foil
    *Soap and sponge
    *Small collapsible sink
    *Pot/pan
    *Pot holders, dish towel
    *Lighter
    *Can opener
    *Grill brush

Miscellaneous
    *LED lanterns x2
    *Mallet
    *Extra stakes
    *Clothesline
    *Trash bags
    *Paper towels
    *LuminAid lights x3
    *Flashlights (x3 cheap for kids; work light for me)
    *Axe
    *Broom, dust pan
    *Outdoor extension cord; power strip
    *Notebook/pen
    *Board games
    *Rain ponchos
    *Toilet paper
    *Hand sanitizer
    *Baby wipes
    *Door mats x2
    *Big camera
    *Bicycles, Helmets
    *Ziplock bags
    *Medications (kids and adults)
    *Box fan
    *Cash

... And food.

Am I missing anything?

FWIW, it's 2 adults and 3 kids (age 7-12). Two nights this time. Will be 4-5 nights in the spring.

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by sunnymw; 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Do I have everything...??

The only thing I really see missing is something to carry water. And I'd probably make that lighter plural - you can never have too many ways to get a fire going.

Comment

I like to take powdered crystal light.

Also: duct tape, army shovel, rum, mirror, extra rope, hot chocolate, radio and some whistles for the kids in case they get lost.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

think any suggestions is for sake of suggestions,
        looks like plenty of stuff
        would consider outdoor entertainment for the kids, balls/frisbee, etc..
        swim gear in case water nearby
        personally would pass on paper plates and have each kid responsible for cleaning his own mess kit, they are all old enough to do so themselves
        when we camp adults prep the meals kids clean up after, including cleaning pots/pans adults mess kits
        I like to pack my own portable grill, just the grill plates from an old bbq set, or one of those $4 portable grills like Coghlan,
        sometimes the grill surface at camp grills are downright nasty wouldn't want to put something like a steak on it.
        you mention extension/power cord, but don't see items listed requiring power other than box fan.
        if you have power at camp that opens up a whole list of possibilities

Comment

When we were trying to use air mattresses, a 12 volt Run off the vehicle battery, inflator/air blower was handy for blowing them up and a patch kit was handy for keeping them blown up.
          Insulation between the air mattress and bag was also very handy (moving pads are cheap).
          Pillow cases help keep the pillows clean.
          some sleeping bag sheets or cheap inner bags help keep the bags clean.
          A wool stocking cap has helped keep me warm at night (I use a wide brimmed hat for sun protection during the day)..

My mom's camping essentials list;
          bug spray(you have it covered)
          band aids, likely included in your first aid kit; large fabric ones work the best for me),
          Saftey pins...

Some spring clothes pins help reclose chip bags, and can be used to hang washcloths or other wet things to dry...
          I normally carry a hank (starts out at 100 feet and gets shorter every trip) of 550 parachute cord to make things like clothes lines, tie downs and replacement shoelaces...

For me some kind of coffee maker and coffee helps open the eyes in the morning (an insulated coffee cup helps keep it warm)...If room is tight coffee bags (like tea bags) work after a fashion.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Thank you!

It is a site with water and electric. We will be charging cameras and adult phones, using it for the box fan, and using it to blow up the air mattress (it has a built in pump that plugs in).

So far the kids have picked out several board games, card games, and scavenger hunt type activities. I’ll also be packing some notebooks and crayons/pens for them.

There is a creek and a natural rock slide so I reckon I should add swim suits. The lows are projected to be in the 50s and highs in the 80s (going off historical data).

Terasec, excellent idea on kids doing dishes. They do it at home, they can surely do it there!

Happy Joe, I work overnights and shift work and still rarely drink coffee, but when my husband joins us on the next trip I will have to swing something. He can finish off a pot a day, easy!
            Nights under the stars:

Comment

sunnymw - Welcome Back! It is great to see that you are getting back out there.

oh yea...don't forget the Noah!

Seriously, your list is pretty comprehensive. I think you have all of the major categories covered. Each of us would probably switch a few items in or out here or there. Taking a 2 night trip is also a good way to see what gets used, what doesn't get used,...and what you should've brought (altho following your checklist will prevent forgetting something you "have to have").

I did notice this at the end of your post: ....And food. Don't minimize this. I always find the menu food/gear part of the trip the hardest to plan and execute with kids/young adults. Making sure to bring all the required food/side ingredients and/or any specialty pots/pans/cooking utensils necessary...plus snacks/beverages. Without "overdoing it" and bringing wayyyyy to much....or worse..."underdoing it" and not filling bellies (I'm hunnnnnngry). Fine line.

Everything else you bring gear-wise generally will stay similar every trip (tent, stove, sleeping bags, lighting, chairs, grill, cooler, etc.)....but that food menu (for me at least) changes somewhat or a lot every time. If I miss something...it's generally related to "eats" (you didn't bring the butter, syrup, ketchup?) or the stuff required to prepare/flip/stir/grab/ said "eats" (no tongs?). It's also why the only checklist I use is for my food/prep/cook/serve items...every trip.

It's 2 nights. Attitude is everything. Adapt/Improvise if necessary. You got this. Report back....love to hear how it went.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Wow, I think your list + these suggestions is great!

I can't wait to hear how the trip goes.

Please let us know what item(s) you wish you had on your trip and what was packed, but never used.

Comment

Just a few cents from a teacher. First, kids are definitely hungrier when they are physically active. So bring more snacks with fat and protein than sugar to satiate that hunger. It also goes along with the lesson about when, where, and how to eat in the outdoors to avoid critters. Consider kids writing in journals (the bigger ones can help the little ones) about their experiences and what they collected while you are fixing dinner, or when you think there is some down time. Everyone reads their experience out loud by flashlight at bedtime. Kids and adults alike love having stories read at night, so bring a chapter book and plan to read a few. We did it for our kids when they were young. And my spouse and I do it now on vacation for each other, but with more grownup books. Might want to consider taking along one big empty scrapbook that everyone has to contribute to each day. The kids might grumble about camping being too much like school. I promise they will tell their friends when they think you are not looking and have lovely memories to share when they are older. And, if you forget something, learning how you handle adversity is part of the experience too. I miss camping with my kids. The older one still loves it as an adult, the younger one not so much. The time goes so fast. Enjoy.

Comment

a65hoosier...

I will always pack the Noah but probably won't put it up THIS time (A. because we are camping on a large covered platform and likely won't need it and B. because I am short and need to re-visit how to pitch the dang thing).

I absolutely have a detailed food list, I just figured it would be too long winded to post this specific one since it changes every time. I always make the physical menu itself, then list the food items.

Currently:

Hamburger 3lb
                    Hot dogs
                    Ham/hot buns
                    Chips (3 bags)
                    Bacon 1.5lb
                    Bisquik shake & pour
                    Eggs x24
                    Precooked ribs x2 racks
                    Frozen mini corn on cob
                    Baked beans lg can
                    Loaf bread
                    Sausage roll
                    Lunch meat
                    sliced cheese
                    shredded cheese
                    mustard
                    ketchup
                    mayo
                    pickles
                    tomatoes
                    lettuce
                    crackers
                    pop tarts
                    capri sun box x2
                    case bottled water
                    milk 1/2 gallon
                    instant coffee/sweetener/heavy cream
                    salt, pepper, seasoning
                    butter
                    syrup
                    cooking spray
                    ice cream cones
                    chocolate chips
                    large and mini marshmallows
                    hot chocolate mix

I also keep this as a checklist in Google Keep that I can check off and reuse each time. Because some things may SEEM like common sense, until you end up at Florida Caverns State Park without a single bath towel.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
                    Nights under the stars:

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
                      a65hoosier...

I will always pack the Noah but probably won't put it up THIS time (A. because we are camping on a large covered platform and likely won't need it and B. because I am short and need to re-visit how to pitch the dang thing).
                      I understand the size limits on sites negating the use of the Noah. Platforms especially.

Going forward though......really truly...YOU can set up/pitch the Noah regardless of your height. It "helps" to have someone hold the adjustable poles upright while you are staking out the guylines for that pole and then again on the other pole diagonal (just keep tension on your ridge line seam of the Noah as you are walking from the first upright pole over to set up the second pole and guyline/stake it out). You can go back after it's pitched, loosen the guylines, and raise the poles higher, and re-tension the lines again until the Noah is at the height you want. Fine tune it. I do it every time.

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
                      I absolutely have a detailed food list, I just figured it would be too long winded to post this specific one since it changes every time. I always make the physical menu itself, then list the food items.
                      I should have known. When you must feed an army (and you're a experienced Mom.)
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I like to have a lot of large binder clips to close things and hang things.
                        Last edited by suram; 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by suram View Post
                          I like to have a lot of large binder clips to close things and hang things.
                          I still use the super tiny ones to hold the cord for the ceiling light to the tent seams (stainless when I can remember to get & bring them)...

Seems like I always forget something...

Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

For hanging stuff and keeping cords wrapped up, I have just about every size Nite-ize Gear Tie. Much better than the one and done zip ties that I used to use.

Comment

sunnymw - Since you use poles for your Noah (or anyone else that uses tarp poles), I use "hook hangers" on each tarp pole. Same set the last couple of years. Sortof weird looking hangers that work well (and hold). Perfect for hanging a lantern, headlamps, drying a towel, hanging tools/utensils. I don't bring a lantern stand anymore since these work so well, are small, and deploy fast fast fast. The placement on each of the 2 tarp poles with a lantern provides a nice distributed light.

Cheap on Amazon $12 or so for 2. https://www.amazon.com/Icasa-Multi-P...s=pole+hangers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hook Hanger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	71080Click image for larger version

Name:	Hook Hanger 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	71081

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X