Hammock tree straps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammock tree straps.

I have been unhappy with my tree straps for some time now. For those not familiar with hammock suspensions, straps (as opposed to cord) are used to anchor to trees in order to prevent damage to the bark. My original hammock, the Grand Trunk I wrote about here, came with two 5 foot straps. Not only were they not long enough to wrap around large trees, but the stitching in one of them gave way under load (my son, not me). So I ordered 50 feet of thicker webbing and instructed said son to make 2 ten foot straps, and use the rest for his own purposes. And that is what I have been using for some time now, but I have two complaints. 1) They are really TOO long. Easy enough to fix, right? But 2) They are much too thick. I can't fit them into the stuff sack with the hammock, that is how thick and heavy they are.

So I just ordered 16 feet of this stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UHMWPE-Hamm...t/282982730297

Enough to make two 7.5 foot straps, and very lightweight. I'll let y'all know how it goes. My whoopie slings are made of dyneema, so I have a lot of confidence in the material
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: Hammock tree straps.

Oh, I neglected to mention that I am just back from an outing with a local scout pack (my grandson is in the Boy Scouts and is quite unaware of all the controversy surrounding that organization). Surprising to me was that about half of the campers were using hammocks :-) Of course, about half of THOSE were family or friends of my family, but it is nice to know that the contagion has spread beyond the confines of my little social circle. As I have said before: Once people try a hammock (hung correctly), the tents get put into storage, never to reappear.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
    X