How do you keep your pets warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep your pets warm?

I didn't get a chance to get outdoors one last time before winter (or what we call winter in AZ) set in. I know what to expect for myself but want to make sure my dog is taken care of too. I normally take her bed which is basically a super thick foam pad but I am sure it is a really crappy foam so there isn't going to be much help there.

The last time I took her and new it was going to be cold I brought her blanket but it is pretty thin. I am thinking that I will bring a quilt or something a bit bulkier but am wondering what others do to make sure their furry friends are having fun.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: How do you keep your pets warm?

We have a 12 lb. Coton de Tulear. She has her own soft throw bunched up on the tent floor, but she will usually jump up on the cot with one of us. She is a master at snuggling under the covers, then sticking her head out, frequently on the pillow.

Comment

Since its rarely below freezing in the tent; when Dog was still alive I would just bring his bed... his natural fur coat kept him warm just fine., for unknown reasons all my dogs (mostly mutts) had long fur.
      The cat (Useless) doesn't go camping... no need to supply a snack to the bears/mountain lions/coyotes/foxes.

In my experience when dogs get cold they tend to shiver just like you do... no shiver; they are likely warm enough.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-06-2016, 05:15 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have a short haired dog as my camping partner. I usually bring her mat that I have in my shop for her. It is about 24X36 and 1.5" thick. There is a washable cover made of a canvas and I put that where ever I want her to stay and she does. In the trailer, she stands over me till I pull the quilt back and let he under it. I did just find a dog bed roll that has a vinyl cover on one side. I just started bringing that because it rolls up.

Comment

Moose-dog gets cold easily (even though he is part newfoundland).

I have the clipper so it's slightly different, but they sleep in the overcab bunk with me - the blankets that keep me warm work for them.

When I was a kid, I had a white boxer. Her coat was extremely thin and she got cold extremely easy. I bought some sweatshirts and cut the sleeves to fit her front legs and velcroed the waist so it would fit snug. She was quite comfy in them. At night, she slept under the covers (with her head on the pilllow).

A memory foam pad can help also as it tends to retain the heat.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Another idea is to pick up a couple throw blankets (Costco has wonderful soft ones in nice large sizes for great prices). I use these at home and in the clipper for me and the dogs will curl up with me on top of them - it's enough to help warm them up. Sherpa works great also.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

My 20 lb schnauzer poodle mix dog has thin "hair", not fur - it is actually what would be the underfur - so her coat does not keep her warm. She sleeps in the travel trailer bed with us - she is on top of the quilted covers. She loves fleece blankets, I keep several on top of the bed and she snuggles up on the bed with them.

The propane heater in the trailer is pretty awesome, but the cold does come through the walls. One side of the bed is against the front wall and the head of the bed is against the emergency window. Pillows and thermal reflective windshield covers against the wall keep the cold out so it is like a little den in the sleeping area. I always pack a low temp double sleeping bag as an emergency backup, too.

She has her own Coleman Quad chair with a fleece blanket that she stays in when we are outside.

I have only taken her tent camping one time and it got in the 50's. We both slept on the cot (me inside the sleeping bag) and she curled up behind my legs burrowed in her fleece blanket.
              Last edited by actad; 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Another idea is to pick up a couple throw blankets (Costco has wonderful soft ones in nice large sizes for great prices). I use these at home and in the clipper for me and the dogs will curl up with me on top of them - it's enough to help warm them up. Sherpa works great also.
                That's what we use at home, camping, and the pup. They are the best we've found.

Comment

As many blankets as possible! The more layers you can have on the floor the better insulated and cosy it will be

Comment

We have a Doberman and he absolutely loves wearing sweaters when it is cold out. Some dogs don't like them, but ours would stay in one all day if he could.

SW
                    "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      I didn't get a chance to get outdoors one last time before winter (or what we call winter in AZ) set in. I know what to expect for myself but want to make sure my dog is taken care of too. I normally take her bed which is basically a super thick foam pad but I am sure it is a really crappy foam so there isn't going to be much help there.

The last time I took her and new it was going to be cold I brought her blanket but it is pretty thin. I am thinking that I will bring a quilt or something a bit bulkier but am wondering what others do to make sure their furry friends are having fun.
                      You know this could be a reason to buy a new thermorest pad... Buy a new one for you and use your old one for your dog. Add a nice thick quilt/throw and she'll be set to go.

These are one set of the throws at Costco (http://www.costco.com/Life-Comfort%c2%ae-Ultimate-Sherpa-Throw-2-pack.product.100301002.html)

Comment

Working...
                      X