REI Base Camp 6 Guyline Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REI Base Camp 6 Guyline Question

Last weekend I went camping with my daughter and we pitched the tent in a sandy area and a storm came up early morning. A lot of our stakes pulled out and we bent a couple of poles pretty bad. I replaced those this week. I know I had the wrong stakes and method for beach camping and I will correct that. But in addition, I ave never used my guylines that came with the tent and I figur I better learn how to use them. The tent comes with 4 guylines however there are many more places to tie the guylines. I think I counted 12. How many guylines to you folks use in severe weather with the base camp 6 tent? Do you do any fancy diamond or triangle stringing of the guy lines? What angle do you try to pull for the line? Do you use both the high and low loops on the rain cover?

You advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Anthony

Re: REI Base Camp 6 Guyline Question

I would think the first thing is to make sure your steaks are secure. Unfortunately I have never camped on a beach.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

I'll give you the same answer here that I did on Basecamp LOL

I've never owned one, but I have checked it out in one of their stores. Personally, I wouldn't see a need to double up on guylines on just about any decent tent, and REI definitely isn't Ozark Trails. On the Basecamps, the cross pole design along with the sleeves on top and corners make for one helluva sturdy tent compared to tents that are just clipped to the poles. The 11mm main poles are no slouch either.

I just looked at the reviews on the REI site and a couple of people did mention that they bought extra tieouts. But, aside from the usual overly picky people slamming the tent, only one seems to have had a problem in a storm - an 80 mile an hour thunderstorm that destroyed it. In my mind, by the time the winds are rattling a tent to where you think it might collapse, it's time to bite the bullet and get soaked while throwing everything in the car and beat feet. Unless you're in something like a $900 Hilleberg, some storms just aren't for riding out no matter how many lines you have pegged down.

All that to say, I would spend a few bucks to get some extra guylines, but I wouldn't try to go overboard with 'em.

Comment

I own 2 Base Camps and have never used the guy lines in 12 years of camping. I always stake out the corners and attach the clips to the poles. I side with MacGyver and plan on beating feet if the winds get too rough. Never had to pull out in the middle of the night.

There was one time while camping near Mount Adams in Washington State, we opted to not put up the tent because it was raining too hard. I have a full size passenger van that sleep 4. Our only concern was being able to get out of our creekside campsite in the event of a flood.

The zipper on our 12 year old Base Camp 4 finally gave out. It's a poor design as the zippers don't function well when all the poles are used as it's too tight. Unless REI has changed the design, I plan on buying something else lighter as we have a Base Camp 6 that is in great condition.
        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
        sigpic

Comment

No experience with that tent but 4 to 8 guy lines, in addition to base stakes is enough for most things, IMO... sugar/powder/windblown sand is tough as few stake designs will hold (try burying sand bags and tying off to them)... I have heard of people using grocery store bags; I dunno about that, seems iffy, to me; stuff sacks and carry bags (filled with sand) work. I have tied to and buried rocks, sticks and logs in the past, even tied cord to the center of stakes and buried them lying sideways; somewhere I accumulated some relatively heavy actual sandbags and they work really well on dunes.

The dome tent usually gets 4 guys/tie downs, one at each corner and 8 base stakes one at each corner and one centered on each side.
          The rainfly usually gets 2 to 4 guy lines/tie downs depending on the forecast and whether the tent in a windy location, some locations seem to channel the wind.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-04-2016, 07:38 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Great feedback. Thanks.

I have invested in better stakes and a few more guy lines.

In two weeks I am camping again but it will not be sand. I am still considering what stakes to use with sand. A lot of people use sandbags as mentioned Happy Joe mentioned. Might be my best option.

Anthony

Comment

Working...
            X