No seeums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No seeums

Does anyone out there know of a good repellant for those little buggers? We bought 2 of the thermacells and they seem ok but every once in a while still get bit especially when the pads get close to being used up.

Re: No seeums

I think snow in the air would keep them away

Comment

High percentage DEET products ( 30% or more makes me happy) stops them from biting but if you have the type that travel in a swarm only Permethrin stops them from winding up in your mouth.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Avon skin so soft is a product that has worked for me .

Comment

Haha

Comment

Try unscented soap, deodorant, and shampoo. Unscented shampoo is hard to find, but you could use unscented hand soap in your hair for a few days without much problem.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Practices to avoid/minimize "no see um" bites are similar to those taken against mosquitos as "no see ums" are also flying biters - the female needs blood from a host for her eggs. Only the females bite. General thought is they sense carbon dioxide from an animal's (which includes us) respiration and zero in on it. They live in the grass and low vegetation, especially around lakes/ponds/wetlands and coastal areas (altho any area with adequate/constant wetness can be their environment as they need that moisture for the larva).

As NYCgrrl mentioned above, exposed areas of skin should be protected with a product containing DEET. I've read that "Skin so Soft" also repels, but I have no experience using that product. Your best protection is wearing long pants and a long sleeved shirt and socks in fabrics with a thickness that will prevent "bite thrus"....or....use thinner fabrics treated with Permethrin (* see below). Yea, I know...long sleeves/pants at 85 degrees/100% humidity/no breeze is uncomfortable-but it really is the best way to prevent the bites and subsequent itches (it also lessens the need to bath in DEET spray). Avoid unprotected skin during dawn/dusk (and cloudy days) as they favor these times (I think the lack of wind also plays a part in the popularity of these "times"). They do not like flying in strong winds, so windy days are a safer time. I suppose a strong fan blowing on you would also hinder their ability of landing.

* Spraying/using a product containing Permethrin on your clothing, tents, etc. can be an effective repellant. I started using this on selected gear/clothing last year---I haven't been bit thru the clothing by mosquitos so far, but as the company indicates, it does nothing to repel mosquitos from attacking exposed, unprotected skin nearby. Only for fabrics so you'll want to apply DEET to exposed skin areas. I've found the combination of DEET on my skin (face/neck/hands) and Permethrin on my clothing to be a fairly good combination at preventing mosquitos/chiggers/ticks/no-see-ums/etc. Add in long pants, socks, and long sleeves when they are swarming and when I don't feel like bathing in DEET (ie...evening/pre-bed).

Although I didn't see "no see ums" listed....Sawyer sells a decent repellant Permethrin product that I've used and still have some on the gear shelf from this past summer's usage:https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/.

If interested, look around online for best price, Amazon, other retailers etc. sell it.
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-03-2016, 06:17 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X