Screen tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen tent

Has anyone tried the pinnacle screen tent with rain flaps? It's 319.00 which for our budget is kinda high but the rain flaps are the what we need.

Re: Screen tent

I haven't tried it or even seen one. But, from the pictures I see online, I don't think I'd even bother with it. The rain flaps look like they all slope towards the tent. That's a guaranteed problem if it rains. But, even if you put lower poles on it to slope away from the tent, you're still looking at rain hitting the corners of the tent. You'd be better off with a large tarp over another screenhouse. Probably be cheaper that way, too.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 09-18-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I would assume that the flaps would only be up when it isn't raining and down when the rain comes....but then how do you get in and out? I don't know. I think I am going to agree with Mac on this one. I think you would be best served with a tarp over a screen tent minus the flaps.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I do not own this...and prefer the "open-ness" of a tarp and the ability to pitch it even if the ground below is unlevel. I've found that a screen house seems to attract the bugs...and once the bugs get inside, they're inside. Spiders crawl up on the inside ceiling and just seem to be waiting to make a jump onto your head as you enjoy dinner. lol. Also, I've found them to be somewhat warm as the mesh sides tend to block any slight breeze from blowing through. Miserable, to me/my experience, on a warm summer's day/night. Mine sits on the gear shelf.

But...I wouldn't kick this particular model/brand to the curb either if you are one that prefers a screen house. It's definitely a higher end product. Here's my thoughts:

Link to the manufacturer's retail site: http://www.camptents.com/shop/screen-tent/

This screen house covers 11 x 11 at the base, 8 x 8 at the top. Made with 3/4 in steel poles and constructed of 150 denier UV resistant polyester (this is pretty thick, and heavy, fabric), all seams are taped/sealed, but I cannot find anything that indicates the mm rating of the waterproof application). Includes the 8 poles to pop out the four doorways/awnings. Materials appear to be top quality. The manufacturer also makes commercial tents, etc.

I agree that rain would necessitate that the awnings be sloped away from the house to keep runoff running out/away. Fully open, you'll still get a 8'x8' area of protected space (not much tho). During rain, one could just ditch the awnings, zip the fabric doors closed/down 3/4 of the way-then roll them up or stake the panels down/out to maintain some ground level ventilation. I think the interior would remain mostly protected (you'll lose interior coverage the more the flaps are zipped up/open, you'll gain more interior coverage/protection the further you zip the panels down/closed). A nice benefit is it has no floor to collect any precip runoff, so anything that gets in will be absorbed into the ground. You'd just want to make sure gear in the screen house is placed safely in the protection zone if any of those panels are left open at all.

Entrance/exit would be no different than entering a tent with a vestibule. Couple of zips (rainfly/awning panels and then the mesh) and you're in or out, even during a heavy rain.

I can also see buying a less expensive screen house and then covering it with cheap tarp(s). But I can also see that being a pain in the rump to set-up and tie down properly. It also would require a very large tarp (min 24 foot square) or several smaller ones layered in a shingle style to properly wind/rain protect a standard sized screen house interior from the top and then down to protect the sides (like the one being discussed). Add in plenty of tying down to keep those tarps from flapping around noisily all night or blowing off. In my opinion, that's more work than I want to do when setting up camp...and I enjoy camp set-up stuff and piddling around with my gear.

The ability to close certain panels easily is beneficial during early morning/late evening sun, stronger winds (or blowing rain), or even winds that change direction over a period of days. Imagine setting it up as a three sided shelter during cooler months with the open side facing a fire. Depending on your camping style, this could be a nice piece of gear.

Positives: appears to use quality fabrics (wish they stated if the fabric has been waterproofed), steel poles, includes awning poles. Panels allow versatility for sun, wind, rain. Appears the company stands by it's products. If you're wanting a screen house, this one is the "fully loaded" model.

I do see some negatives (beyond my personal ones on screen houses in general I discussed earlier-lol): pricey, heavy, and not compact (42"x16"!!!), uses fiberglass/nylon "instant tent" type pole connectors which are tough to repair in the field, requires a large footprint/acreage if you open all panels into awnings and guy them out. Note: something like this should always be guyed out for wind/structural integrity.
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My screen house is an Instant Up Ozark Trail 10x10 size. Less than a minute up or down. Fits well against my Coleman tents as a nice large shaded front porch.

I use it as a housing to keep the sun off the generator when we are camping with the travel trailer. I keep the doors open and it is lot easier to pull that start cord in the shade than in full sun.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

[QUOTE=debx77;45590]Has anyone tried the pinnacle screen tent with rain flaps? It's 319.00 which for our budget is kinda high but the rain flaps are the what we need .
            I've had it for two years now . it's a great screen house / Shelter . It's made by Camptown from Korea ( via Vietnam ), Pinnacle has the rights to sell it here . I have had a Camptown shelter , no screens for almost 20 years and replaced it with this . The insta-set system is patented by Camptown and is great , not cheap plastic but very durable polymer of some sort . Perfectly taped seams and with the rainfly I haven't had a drop of rain get inside . I researched a lot of them and I believe this is the best one you can get . It's a lot heavier than my old shelter and bigger but when you set it up and guy it out , it's solid as a rock .
            I reviewed it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Tent-A...R2S1LS0L04E3XI

Comment

THanks fellas probly will think on this alittle more because it's a little pricey

Comment

Working...
              X