Bunking with dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunking with dogs

I adopted a 118 pound American bulldog, Tank, who has gone with me on both camping trips this summer. I want to take him again this fall, but he needs someplace cozy to sleep at night besides my single-person air mattress. Because of his size, I'm almost tempted to buy him is own sleeping bag, but he likes a little more cushioning than that (he doesn't use a dog bed at home, just sleeps on the couch or my bed). Does anyone use special doggy camping beds? I want something that will keep him warm and provide cushioning.

Re: Bunking with dogs

A shorter backpacker-length ThermaRest self-inflating sleeping pad (Ebay is a good place to buy these) offers 5.0 R-Value sleeping comfort and a lifetime guarantee. Of course, if your "air mattress" is one of those big hollow-tube models (0.75 R-Value), you might want to get Tank an Extra-Large model from ThermaRest, MegaMat, or Exped, so the two of you can share...LOL.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by sparty121 View Post
      I adopted a 118 pound American bulldog, Tank, who has gone with me on both camping trips this summer. I want to take him again this fall, but he needs someplace cozy to sleep at night besides my single-person air mattress. Because of his size, I'm almost tempted to buy him is own sleeping bag, but he likes a little more cushioning than that (he doesn't use a dog bed at home, just sleeps on the couch or my bed). Does anyone use special doggy camping beds? I want something that will keep him warm and provide cushioning.
      I just bring along her dog bed from home.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_213851 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	70642
      It doesn't always work.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

This is what I've learned with Bat-dog and Moose-dog. They want their creature comforts of home. At night, they sleep in the cabover bed with me just like they sleep on the bed at home. They aren't comfortable sleeping differently.

In the evening is where we have issues. Neither dog believes they should nap or sleep on the ground - that is simply outrageous and unacceptable. They expect to be able to lay with me on the "couch" - unfortunately, when camping there is no couch outside, just a couple camp chairs, and they do not make for a cozy comfortable evening. So, Bat-dog requires us to go inside the clipper and cuddle on the couch there for the evening. I have been looking at potential couches (like the bed-o-matic) for outside, but am hesitant to put the money out on it if it won't work.

So, with that, I don't have a real answer. An inflatable may not hold up to a dog circling down for the night, and putting two side by side could end up with you falling in between or sleeping right on the edge (that's where I sleep - right on the edge so they can be comfortable).

Years ago, my boxer slept inside the sleeping bag with me because she would get cold otherwise (very thin white coat). She made it simple though as she slept like a person: a side sleeper with head on the pillow.

Bat-dog is much more difficult because she sleeps like a beagle on her back, feet in the air, and tucked right next to me regardless of room available. Moose-dog is a curler and needs space as he is long and lanky and has all sorts of bony joints that poke into you.

And NO, I did not spoil my dogs into this behavior - i'm sure I didn't. They picked it up from somewhere else. Probably the Internet or tv.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          This is what I've learned with Bat-dog and Moose-dog. They want their creature comforts of home. At night, they sleep in the cabover bed with me just like they sleep on the bed at home. They aren't comfortable sleeping differently.

In the evening is where we have issues. Neither dog believes they should nap or sleep on the ground - that is simply outrageous and unacceptable. They expect to be able to lay with me on the "couch" - unfortunately, when camping there is no couch outside, just a couple camp chairs, and they do not make for a cozy comfortable evening. So, Bat-dog requires us to go inside the clipper and cuddle on the couch there for the evening. I have been looking at potential couches (like the bed-o-matic) for outside, but am hesitant to put the money out on it if it won't work.

So, with that, I don't have a real answer. An inflatable may not hold up to a dog circling down for the night, and putting two side by side could end up with you falling in between or sleeping right on the edge (that's where I sleep - right on the edge so they can be comfortable).

Years ago, my boxer slept inside the sleeping bag with me because she would get cold otherwise (very thin white coat). She made it simple though as she slept like a person: a side sleeper with head on the pillow.

Bat-dog is much more difficult because she sleeps like a beagle on her back, feet in the air, and tucked right next to me regardless of room available. Moose-dog is a curler and needs space as he is long and lanky and has all sorts of bony joints that poke into you.

And NO, I did not spoil my dogs into this behavior - i'm sure I didn't. They picked it up from somewhere else. Probably the Internet or tv.
          Hehehe...thats funny. What kind of dogs do you have?
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

They've been DNA'd. Moose-dog is a Shepherd/poodle/Newfoundland (he is tall and skinny like poodle, coat like a shepherd, and drools like a Newfie). Bat-dog is quite a combo: shepherd/chow/shar-pei/boxer/corgi/beagle/german shorthair.

Name:	Moose-dog and Bat-dog.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	70643

Name:	theyre coming.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	70644

Name:	The Last Stand.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	70645

My avatar actually has them sitting in the cab seats looking out - somewhere I have the full-size photo of that...
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Oh, that last photo is of their stand off with the Lizard. The Lizard won. (this is the rock in the middle of the photo above).

Name:	The Last Stand2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	70646

Comment

I was going to suggest something like this:

But I don't think that will be big enough. Maybe you can build a simple plank bench/couch that folds down for storage.
                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                X