Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truck bed tent help

High need some support.
    I am looking to get a truck bed tent. here are my concerns. I have a 2014 F150 with the 5.5 ft short bed, plan on trying to get a tent that extends to the end of the tailgate. Can you please advise decent tents that may accommodate this? Also can this set up sleep a Dad,mom and 6 year old ok with a air mattress?
    What mattress is best for this? I was looking for the one with the wheel well cut outs to max out the room. We are usually one night campers for now until we can save up for the camper.

Re: truck bed tent help

Sorry, remist, I've no personal knowledge of truck tents......are any made specifically for your truck? If so that sounds like a way to start. As for truck bed air mattresses I've seen them on specialty truck and camping gear sites yet can't say whether it would be wide enough for 3 of you to sleep across. Do a bit of googling, post links to specific gear here and I'm sure someone can help you.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Most come in two sizes for short bed and long bed trucks. The Kodiak one seems very well made and fits a 5.5 bed:
      http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.c...FQ-raQodngcBuw
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

A big +1 on actad's recommendation for the Kodiak and CompetitiveEdge. They pretty much have the consistently best prices on Kodiak gear. But, regardless of what tent and/or mattress you wind up with, I can't see a short bed pickup being big enough for three people, even when one is a six-year-old. Unless you're all extremely thin, I'm pretty sure it'd be a tight squeeze at best.

I fully understand wanting to save up for a camper - I'm somewhat reluctantly giving in to my semi-old age and starting to look for one myself. But I would suggest buying a somewhat modestly priced 4-person tent for now. In browsing around today, I saw the ALPS Mountaineering Meramac that I own for a decent price - under $100.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/alps-mou...AMACSAGE-60304

The way I see it, if you go and buy the stuff to sleep in your truck, then eventually get your camper, you've invested a good chunk of money in stuff you won't need anymore AND will only be able to sell to people who 1) want to sleep in their trucks and 2) have the same size truck as you do. Buy a tent and the stuff to go with it and you'll have a better chance of getting some money back when it's time to let it go.

Comment

your 100% right. We all got in the truck bed the other day. No bueno.
          I love my family but thats way to close.

We are going to stick with the tent camping on the ground and look for a used camper.
          Thanks

Comment

Ahoy Remist17! Because it's designed for use inside a heated enclosure, an air mattress is your worst choice with its 0.75 R-Value. Why not consider a set of foam pads or self-inflating sleeping pads that will mean 1/6th as much insulation on top to stay warm. Most cities have a UFO outlet that can provide the foam, advice, and/or seamstresses and the labor. Many of the best campsites don't allow you to place your vehicle in the ideal spot, so truck tents leave much to be desired. A quality polyester tent from a good company can be set up anywhere, and will typically have great wind and rain integrity considering its design and setup. If a truck setup is you only option, why not consider a Leer, SnugTop or Garvin alternative? You'd spend similar $$$ to a quality polyester tent (at MSRP). Anyway, it sounds like this option is not going to get off the ground for you, in any event.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by remist17 View Post
              your 100% right. We all got in the truck bed the other day. No bueno.
              I love my family but thats way to close.

We are going to stick with the tent camping on the ground and look for a used camper.
              Thanks
              Lol, I've not researched it, but, I'd assume the cost of a truck tent, and air mattress designed for a truck bed, would be considerably higher than just standard gear. And, as you've discovered, the lack of space would quickly be an issue. Also, while I love seeing the setups of truck tents, and roof top tents, I don't like the idea of having to break camp if the need to drive somewhere comes up. I would love to have an overland/expidition trailer with a rooftop tent mounted on it, but, where I live, it just wouldn't be practical. Not to mention, my wife isn't very keen to sleeping that high off the ground, lol.

David

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_130310.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	70635Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_135330.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	70636Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_135606.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	70637

Not that bad. Sleeps 2 comfortably and if the need to drive off arrives it is actually pretty easy to lift off. However, the trick is making sure you don't need to drive off anywhere.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Hi remist, Looks like you are looking for a great deal of "specialty" stuff here. Specialty tent related items usually bring the $$ up. Have you thought about investing in a truck camper instead of the tent? This will provide a lot more storage and be much more comfortable. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                  X