Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric bear fences - are they worth it and can you use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric bear fences - are they worth it and can you use them?

Hi All,

We are going on our first time camping trip in a few weeks and was hoping for some ideas/thoughts/guidance on electric bear fences they sell online.

We will be camping in a tent at a national park campground in New Hampshire. Are the electric bear fences they sell online worth it for peace of mind while sleeping?

And are the electric bear fences allowed/ok-to-use at these campgrounds, and if so, do you have to take any precautions other than clearing vegetation around the fence, putting up lights at night?

Thank you for any ideas/guidance.

SW
    "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Re: Electric bear fences - are they worth it and can you use them?

I wouldn't bother with them. Keep your campsite clean, dump your garbage in the campground bins before going to bed at night, use bear boxes if provided, cook away from your tent and don't bring food (including snacks and drinks) into the tent.

Bears are creatures of opportunity, don't give them the opportunity and they won't bother you.

You do not want to use the bear fences in a developed campground. Too many chances that some kid will come running through and hit it. And you'll make a WHOLE LOT OF ENEMIES if you light up the perimeter all night to keep folks from wandering into the fence.

Also, a bear coming around a campsite at night is looking for food. We are not food to a black bear. They don't want to mess with us, they just want our picnic baskets. If you do find one in your campsite, just make a lot of noise (banging on metal, deep yells, etc.) and they will run off. But, you will likely never see a bear. Most folks never do.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thanks Toadtoes - I appreciate the info. Like I said we haven't been camping before, so I'm sure there is lots to learn. You mentioned not putting lights on the perimeter. Related to this, are those tent lights (like the luminoodle, etc) frowned upon or are they ok to use for a little light at night around the tent?

Thanks!
      SW
      "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Comment

Agree with tt
        no point of an electric fence
        just follow good bear prevention practices

Comment

electric bear fence??? what will they think of next?
          I agree; not necessary or desirable ...
          ...we consider the trip a success if we even see a bear; or have a deer or elk come by to check us out...
          As mentioned; take good bear precautions,
          If excessively paranoid; get some bear spray (check with the local law enforcement first, to make certain that they do not consider it a weapon)...

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            I wouldn't bother with them. Keep your campsite clean, dump your garbage in the campground bins before going to bed at night, use bear boxes if provided, cook away from your tent and don't bring food (including snacks and drinks) into the tent.
            All good advice from members up above. I'd only add one thing regarding food/drink...also remove anything from your personal belongings/tent that has an odor or smell that a bear may interpret as food even if you do not consider it food (ie. toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, gum, etc.). Just because we know not to eat the minty toothpaste, to a bear it smells like a minty snack-so don't bring it in the tent with you. That includes clothing that has cooking odors or food splatters/spillage on it.

Bears are looking for easy meals. If there is no easy food/food-like materials left out/around on your campsite, the bears (if present) will move on and you may only know they were in a campsite from a paw print left behind. Most folks never see a bear ("most" lol...there are campers that have had to do the pot banging, etc.).
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              All good advice from members up above. I'd only add one thing regarding food/drink...also remove anything from your personal belongings/tent that has an odor or smell that a bear may interpret as food even if you do not consider it food (ie. toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, gum, etc.). Just because we know not to eat the minty toothpaste, to a bear it smells like a minty snack-so don't bring it in the tent with you. That includes clothing that has cooking odors or food splatters/spillage on it.

Bears are looking for easy meals. If there is no easy food/food-like materials left out/around on your campsite, the bears (if present) will move on and you may only know they were in a campsite from a paw print left behind. Most folks never see a bear ("most" lol...there are campers that have had to do the pot banging, etc.).
              The folks I know who have had to do the pot banging (who are in developed campsites and not dispersed camping) have also been the ones to leave stuff out. Juice boxes on the picnic table, bag of chips on top of the cooler, etc. :wink2:
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the advice! We will definitely skip the bear fence, and do all of the above.

One question I had - based on the above advice, my next plan is to keep all the food (and toothpaste!) in plastic bags/coolers, and put that food/cooler into our cars (in the trunk), that will be parked as far from our tent as possible.

Is this an ok plan, or should we be putting the food in bear bags hung from a tree far from the tent?

Thank you!
                SW

Comment

We only started getting into camping a bit, but at the National park campground we went to in June warned of smaller critters getting into food and suggested keeping it in vehicle ( if practical ).

Comment

Well thank you all for the advice. Looks like I'm going to bring up a couple of pots I bang on if needed. If there is a group or thread to post camping trip reports/pics, I'll put them up shortly along with some lessons learned as this is my first time.

SW

Comment

Working...
                    X