Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the basics (sort of)

Hi!

My family is me, my husband and one 6 year old boy. My husband and I tent camped prior to marriage but then moved to the woods and kind of just figured we lived in the woods so didn't need to camp. After having my son we bought a popup camper and used it about 30 nights a year for 4 years. Over the winter mice ate the canvas off the camper so we are back to a tent. We both forgot how much we enjoyed it so may stick with a tent for a year or so. We still do tent with electric and I have a potty for nighttime use. I'm too spoiled from the camper and too old to be "too" primitive.

I was quite active on the Popup Portal before and look forward to making some new connections here!

Pluck

Re: Back to the basics (sort of)

Welcome and good to meet ya virtually.
    Looking forward to hearing more of your perspective from a tenter to pop up to tenter again.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Pluck View Post
      Hi!

My family is me, my husband and one 6 year old boy. My husband and I tent camped prior to marriage but then moved to the woods and kind of just figured we lived in the woods so didn't need to camp. After having my son we bought a popup camper and used it about 30 nights a year for 4 years. Over the winter mice ate the canvas off the camper so we are back to a tent. We both forgot how much we enjoyed it so may stick with a tent for a year or so. We still do tent with electric and I have a potty for nighttime use. I'm too spoiled from the camper and too old to be "too" primitive.

I was quite active on the Popup Portal before and look forward to making some new connections here!

Pluck
      Lol. Well, there is primitive camping and then there is PRIMITIVE camping....which I think should be called caveman camping. Nothing wrong with taking a toilet along with you. Everyone has their own definition of what camping is. Personally, my line in the sand is a microwave. If you have a microwave you are definitely not camping. IMO.

Also, welcome to the forum.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        Lol. Well, there is primitive camping and then there is PRIMITIVE camping....which I think should be called caveman camping. Nothing wrong with taking a toilet along with you. Everyone has their own definition of what camping is. Personally, my line in the sand is a microwave. If you have a microwave you are definitely not camping. IMO.

Also, welcome to the forum.
        I agree with that definition, but I'd also add a TV. If you're watching television, you're not camping.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming words!

Honestly we most frequently use campsites as a home base for other activities. I'm really not that concerned about what is considered truly camping and more concerned with the mix of: set-up ease, comfort, location and cost.

I have some internal ratio calculation that makes a trip acceptable for me based on those components. Don't ask me what it is. I make it up as I go along. But we camp in a number of ways from the KOA madness to the State Park solitude. It's all good and I enjoy the variations on the camping theme.

Having said that we do not bring a microwave or a TV. But we do bring ipads so I can't claim that we don't watch anything at all. It's very limited though usually to my son's bedtime or very rainy evenings.

We have two remaining trips planned for 2016 (and I'll fit in 1 more if I can). One to Knoebels and the other to Lancaster to attend the Hershey RV show. I also think I'd like to hit a campground for one of the Halloween theme weekends.

I'll stop babbling.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

Pluck

Comment

Hi Pluck and Welcome to the Forum!

First off...my motto is you camp the way you want to camp. Bring with you whatever you want to add comfort/luxury/convenience (CLC's) to your camping experience (as long as it doesn't impact your fellow campers).

My camping style runs the gambit and goes on regardless of season....backpacking, Boy Scout outings, primitive camping, car camping with electric, etc. What comfort/luxury/convenience (CLC) item(s) I bring depends on the type of trip, duration, packing space available, and who is with me. I always bring one (maybe two) things every trip that aren't "really" needed, but what the heck.

When my wife goes with me primitive site or even electric site car camping with modern restrooms, her luxury item is having the "Luggable Loo" with us to prevent middle of the night walks to the restroom (lol...who would have thought a bucket with a toilet seat is a luxury!). But for $20, that Loo strangely has been one of my smartest purchases.

I guess to summarize...we all camp differently. As long as you're not bothering anyone, camp however and with whatever gear you want. Although I never would bring a microwave or TV to camp, I'd never criticize someone who did...whatever flicks your twiggy.

So again, welcome. Share your knowledge, ask questions. We all learn a bit from each other....
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pluck View Post
              I also think I'd like to hit a campground for one of the Halloween theme weekends.
              If you are planning on camping during Halloween, make reservations now. It might be even a little late to make reservations depending on the park. I know that Halloween camping in Indiana State Parks has become extremely popular over the last several years and the sites book very early/very quickly.
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM.
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Lol. I totally agree that everyone should camp the way they want. Whatever gets you outdoors is what you should do.

I just personally (and somewhat toungue in cheek) think that an instant burrito is probably outside the guidelines of roughing it. Although didnt someone post on here that there is now a portable microwave. I might have to change it to air conditioning.:he:
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

I've heard of folks using window A/C units in their tents at electrical sites...

I agree that folks should do what they want and enjoy (barring the annoying neighbors bit). I have my take on what camping is and I stick by that definition. But I don't care what others do - as long as it doesn't affect my camping experience.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    I agree with that definition, but I'd also add a TV. If you're watching television, you're not camping.
                    I assume you would include a projector and DVD player in that definition? On top of everything else I'm trying to throw together, I'm picturing a white tarp bungeed between some trees and a bunch of "inebriated persons" watching Mel Brooks movies.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      I assume you would include a projector and DVD player in that definition? On top of everything else I'm trying to throw together, I'm picturing a white tarp bungeed between some trees and a bunch of "inebriated persons" watching Mel Brooks movies.
                      At my last camp outing, someone did just that. They had about 20 adults/kids in chairs watching Terminator (I'll admit, my wife and I stayed and watched about 10 minutes of it from afar). Gigantic sheet, projector. lol..... Of course, it was done and off/quiet by 11pm (quiet hours).

sigpic

Comment

Friends did this at a trip a group trip to Knoebels a few years ago. There were a load of kids between all the movies and they showed Madagascar 3 on a sheet at the end off the day. We had kids from all over the campground join us!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	70601

Comment

to prevent middle of the night walks to the restroom
                          This is why I bring the potty. Not only is it inconvenient but I don't feel particularly safe doing nighttime bathroom trips. I don't trust the two legged creatures which I guess is sad but it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            Nope, I would not include a movie in that definition. I think watching a movie while camping is fine and can be fun (at 4-H camp I remember watching an old film of Those Daring Men in Their Flying Machines after campfire). It's just the act of sitting around watching the boob tube that I define as not camping.

Hmmm, maybe next camping trip I should watch Night of the Grizzlies.

Comment

I used to camp as a means to an end. In case I got stuck in the boonies with a long ride home. Now I do it, just because....But yeah, I go pretty basic unless you count a guitar as technology. An acoustic, at that! Last time, I attracted a crowd of teenagers despite my best efforts at seclusion. Sound travels.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X