Camping with alot of kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with alot of kids

We're preparing for our upcoming 5 night tent camping trip with 9 of our 10 kids. Headed back to Red River, NM. Just some random thoughts as we get ready.

We try to pack early which helps since we can pack more of the cool weather clothing due to the mid to low 40 degree temps at night.
    We've been freezing some meals ahead of time as well. Chili, shredded BBQ pork, taco salad meat, breakfast burritos. Of course we take the "fun" food such as hot dogs and marshmallows to roast. I also suggest roasting Starburst.
    We make individual bags for the long van ride for the smaller kids that include small coloring books, magnetic games like checkers, notepaper to doodle on. We've also all been contributing to a music play list. Portable DVD player will also be used along the way.
    Hoping to do a few easy hikes around the area. Red River trail in town is simple and the Columbine Canyon trail. The Columbine trail is nice as about a mile into it, it opens up to a beautiful meadow that we can picinic.
    We set up two tents, one that we all sleep in and another that holds our bags and we use to change clothes.
    We plan to spend some time around Red River and also a day around Taos.
    It should be alot of fun.

Re: Camping with alot of kids

Wow, sounds like a great trip! I'm jealous! I also highly recommend roasting Starburst, we tried it for the first time last year... YUM! Sounds like you have all your bases covered and are a pro at keeping the kiddos entertained. I let our girls each choose one special stuffed animal to sleep with that stays in the tent, and then I pick up cheapie toys like army men, a farm set, dinosaurs, matchbox cars, zombies, and of course a shovel and pail for each, that are only for camping, that way if they get lost or left behind it's no biggie. A trip to the dollar store replenishes the camp toys. We had three extra boys on our last camping trip and the kids played non-stop with all the toys, and I didn't care if they got buried or thrown in the woods. haha!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Haha. Don't know about the pro part but we learn quick and the internet is our friend. Plus it helps if you have an organized wife. Starbursts are awesome over a campfire. Yes, the dollar store is a must. We do the same for the cheap toys that you don't care about and get them something just for the trip. We get dinosaurs, bubbles, glow sticks, glow bracelets. They have a blast with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by in-tents View Post
        We're preparing for our upcoming 5 night tent camping trip with 9 of our 10 kids. Headed back to Red River, NM. Just some random thoughts as we get ready.

We try to pack early which helps since we can pack more of the cool weather clothing due to the mid to low 40 degree temps at night.
        We've been freezing some meals ahead of time as well. Chili, shredded BBQ pork, taco salad meat, breakfast burritos. Of course we take the "fun" food such as hot dogs and marshmallows to roast. I also suggest roasting Starburst.
        We make individual bags for the long van ride for the smaller kids that include small coloring books, magnetic games like checkers, notepaper to doodle on. We've also all been contributing to a music play list. Portable DVD player will also be used along the way.
        Hoping to do a few easy hikes around the area. Red River trail in town is simple and the Columbine Canyon trail. The Columbine trail is nice as about a mile into it, it opens up to a beautiful meadow that we can picinic.
        We set up two tents, one that we all sleep in and another that holds our bags and we use to change clothes.
        We plan to spend some time around Red River and also a day around Taos.
        It should be alot of fun.
        Growing up in a large family it sounds like an amazingly good time. Although I am kind of wondering what the 10th kid did.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          Growing up in a large family it sounds like an amazingly good time. Although I am kind of wondering what the 10th kid did.
          If you mess up at our house, there are consequences :he:.........Nah, she got married and now has her own little girl. She's more of a hot climate fan anyway.

Comment

Make sure you bring lots of Benadryl. There are all KINDS of benefits.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
            X