Back to Camping!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Camping!!

After three years, the hubby and I have decided to get back to camping. We stopped when his schedule didn't allow for any weekend trips (6 days, 70 hrs a week...yeah, not a typo). So yesterday we pulled the trigger on a new tent! We had a pop-up for a few years and sold it 2 years ago, so being used to the comforts of the pop-up, we wanted a tent that would be as roomy and comfortable. We're actually glad we had to "upgrade" to a tent. With three dogs, we needed more room to accommodate us all...the pop-up would have been too narrow for the dogs to move around.

Fortunately we kept all of our camping gear, so our main investments so far are the tent (10 x 10 Kodiak) and a new queen air mattress/cot (Coleman). Hubby just made a swamp cooler and I am sewing up a canvas/upholstery area rug for the interior to protect the floor from dog claws!

Taking the new tent camping this weekend to test it out. There's a campground nearby that we go to and do a test run new gear. And two of the three dogs have never camped, so we want to see how they do. When we were camping before our little hiatus, we camped nearly every month from May-Oct.

Any extra tips regarding the Kodiak tent would be appreciated! This first trip we will be evaluating what else we need. We certainly don't rough it, so all suggestions/advice welcome!

I'll post pics after our maiden trip!

Re: Back to Camping!!

Looking forward to your trip report! My first tent was canvas (well really, there wasn't any choice). Nowadays I prefer lighter materials.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

We are excited to get back to camping, so I'll definitely be posting pics. The weight does seem a bit daunting, but I can't imagine having a lighter tent with our two labs!

Comment

Originally posted by VAGlamper View Post
        We are excited to get back to camping, so I'll definitely be posting pics. The weight does seem a bit daunting, but I can't imagine having a lighter tent with our two labs!
        Meh....that is what cars are for. Now if you are backpacking with that swamp cooler I am impressed ��
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          Meh....that is what cars are for. Now if you are backpacking with that swamp cooler I am impressed ��
          Exactly! We only ever set camp a few feet away from the truck. The only thing about the weight is that it might have to go inside instead of on the roof when in transit. No backpacking for us!

And I'm not sure why I said in my OP that we are camping this weekend...we are going next week!

Comment

I too am a (primarily) vehicle camper.
            Good luck with the swamp cooler (they work best in very dry environments).

...looking forward to your trip report (and pics, I like pics... although I cant seem to take non blurry ones with this telephone thingy).

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

On a side note...I grew up in a house that only had a swamp cooler in Phoenix AZ. My parents still live in that house. I wernt over and started the cooler on Monday. Like Happy Joe said, they work great on dry days. Once the humidity hits they are f'ing worthless.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

You might notice tent camping to be a LOT colder than your insulated popup and will need to invest in a Buddy Heater or other device like electric space heaters in the campground to stay warm. Once you get the right equipment and temperatures fall, you'll be enjoying comfortable camping and "easy living"!
                Last edited by tplife; 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

What is a swamp cooler?

Comment

Originally posted by debx77 View Post
                    What is a swamp cooler?
                    It is a cooling system that pulls air through a wet pad to cool it down before blowing it into the house. Basically its like spraying a water bottle into a floor fan. Works well until it gets humid.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                    X