Best tents for family a 5 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tents for family a 5 ?

Any recommendations for best 5 family tents. Or is it best to have two 3 person ones? Are waterproof tents the best way ta go?
    dan howitt

Re: Best tents for family a 5 ?

Since no else has responded . I am of the opinion that versatile approach may be wise if you're situation allows. The 2 tent approach has it benefits. Some campsites have difficulty accommodating a larger tent . It is also common knowledge that most tent capacity ratings are over rated. The compacity is often based on people being laid in there like cords of wood. Do some more research and look what is supposedly is a 5 person tents.

Comment

My wife and I have two girls going on 13 and 16, I've been looking at the Browning Big Horn tent 10 x 15 cabin style with a lifetime warrantee for defects. What sold me was the price at around 250.00 and the Amazon ratings which were excellent, not the best tent by no means, however I've read that Browning stands by their product 100%. Coleman has the Prairie Breeze 9 man tent which is about the same size but they don't have the good warrantee service that I'm aware of. Eureka also makes some large family tents, also check out Cabelas line of tents, I've researched myself for months and still do, but with my financial situation the Browning for us looks mighty good, just wish it had aluminum poles. I'm sure if you wouldn't mind spending 500 to 1,000 then you'd find something better,it all depends on how much you camp and how much you're willing to pay. Best wishes in your search, believe me I do believe you get what you pay for, and for my families interest this year the Big Horn so far has my vote, take a look on you tube and amazon it is a nice tent.

Comment

Best tent I ever owned.

Goes up in two minutes, down in five. Plenty of space to live in.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
          Best tent I ever owned.

Goes up in two minutes, down in five. Plenty of space to live in.
          Are you talking about the Browning Big Horn?, I know there are better tents out there but for under 300.00 I don't or haven't seen a tent with as good of specs unless you pay over 500.00. I wish the tent covering came down more over the windows but I guess that's what tarps are for to hang over your tent. Bye the way can you you a cheap tarp for under the tent and to hang over the tent or do you have to get a good grade tarp? My kids wanted a tent so they could watch the stars at night when it's clear and I thought this tent would work perfectly.

Comment

Finding a tent can be fun. I was looking for a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8....they arent cheap! While I was trying to convince myself that it was worth spending the cash on it.....a brand new Coleman WeatherMaster 6 basically fell into my hands....at LESS than 100 bucks! I still want a BA but it can wait a year or two now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
              Are you talking about the Browning Big Horn?, I know there are better tents out there but for under 300.00 I don't or haven't seen a tent with as good of specs unless you pay over 500.00. I wish the tent covering came down more over the windows but I guess that's what tarps are for to hang over your tent. Bye the way can you you a cheap tarp for under the tent and to hang over the tent or do you have to get a good grade tarp? My kids wanted a tent so they could watch the stars at night when it's clear and I thought this tent would work perfectly.
              If you click on MountainMama's link, she's talking about the Bushnell 12 Person Instant Tent. $279 alone. $247 in a bundle with 2 folding camp chairs and 2 double air mattresses. The chairs and air mattresses are "throw aways", but to save $32 on the tent, they can get you a few trips before you have to buy new chairs and mattresses.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Two 4-man tents might be the best option. Tents larger than 4-man or 10X10 typically have many drawbacks, such as not enough poles/sq. ft. of fabric to support McMansion susper-sizing, are bigger than most campsites, are difficult to set up along, their design means more broken poles, they don't have full-coverage rainflies, have leaky doors and windows, etc. Even big-box 3 or 4-man tents will have better wind/rain integrity than a larger similar tent due to those reasons. In our experience, exterior screen rooms on tents are no substitute for stand-alone screen rooms. The Eureka Tetragon line of tents at least has a more full-coverage rainfly, a must in my opinion and about the only one out there at the "budget" price point. Take time to look at Ebay, Amazon, and Craigslist for new-with-tags auctions on tents as well. Otherwise, if you have a Costco, that might be the best place to spend your money on a tent.
                Last edited by tplife; 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  If you click on MountainMama's link, she's talking about the Bushnell 12 Person Instant Tent. $279 alone. $247 in a bundle with 2 folding camp chairs and 2 double air mattresses. The chairs and air mattresses are "throw aways", but to save $32 on the tent, they can get you a few trips before you have to buy new chairs and mattresses.
                  Oh, you are correct I just saw the link that was posted, sorry about that. Are the bushnell tents a quality brand?, I researched and couldn't find nothing about the floor and tent thickness. I figure it is fiberglass poles.

Comment

Best you will do some research and find the best tent that suits you from all the angles. I hope you will understand what I mean. Don't buy a tent that has exactly the same capacity of your family member. Better you will go for a larger one. To make your research easier you may visit the website named familytentinfo and hope you will find a great tent for your family. Thank you.

Comment

We are going to be trying out the Browning Big Horn Tent in a couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know how it goes when we get back.

SW
                      "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

Working...
                      X