Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which tent is best for hunting in cold weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tent is best for hunting in cold weather?

Hey guys and girls, I'm going with 3 of my buddies for a camping/hunting trip in the Adirondack area. We are planning the trip for January for about 2 weeks.
    Can you guys recommend on a good tent for 4-6 people? I've only used coleman basic tents before but I don't think those will make the cut.
    We were considering a Military tent for this one and I found these 2 sites www.usmilitarytents.com & www.rddusa.com selling used Army tents. It seems to me that the GP small or the Arctic tent are pretty good candidates. Any recommendation will be much appreciated! Thanks! :he:

Re: Which tent is best for hunting in cold weather?

The military tents work (also look for/make a compatible heater); but are typically very heavy and cumbersome to setup and break down (especially when wet). 4 were fine in a GP small (never used an arctic or the insulating blanket for them) It was roomy but years ago; so I'm not sure about 6.
    The more people the better for military tent setup (as long as they can cooperate... and someone knows how to set it up/it can easy turn into a cluster...).

We have also used my 12x12 Alaknak (Cabella's) again, in the cold a heater helps, at least for getting into and out of the sleeping bags. 6 in the 12 x12 would be on the more than cozy/very crowded side, 4 is OK.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Avoid those NOS canvas tents from those two vendors. They are too large, design-dated, lack wind and rain integrity, a nightmare to set up without a crew and made of outdated heavy canvas fabric. The US Military currently contracts with Eureka! and produces 4-season quality polyester tents with camoflage rainflies and coatings that reflect IR light to minimize surveillance visibility. They are available in 2 and 4-man varieties and are top-shelf quality, just like the ThermaRest self-inflating sleeping pads the US military buys for their troops. You can find these tents on Ebay at around a 20%-or-more savings at first glance. You would do well with two tents rather than one large one, otherwise vendors like Marmot, REI, EMS, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, NorthFace, and Mountain HardWear can offer high quality tents at fair prices, especially if you consider the quality and utilize online purchasing options. For a one-time trip, consider an 8-man tent from Costco or big-box retailer to avoid a big investment. I have 150 combined miles backpacking and hiking on the At, it's an old favorite.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Where will you be camping? Designated site near the car? or hiking?
        If you plan on hiking i would pass on any canvas tent way to heavy to carry any distance
        4 guys in winter will want more room than what 1 uses in summer, jackets, boots, blankets etc are all bulkier in winter
        You will also want room for a heater
        10x10 would not be enjoyable for 2 weeks
        I would go 12x12 or larger
        Regardless of tent price once you shut off the heat source inside temp will match outside temp in less than 1 hr, higher price will improve durability and water resistance over time
        Probably wont be an issue for 1 time trip
        Regardless of tent i would focus on making your sleeping conditions as warm and comfy as possible
        I see your from la, do you have cold weather experience?
        January in adirondacks expect anything from 40 degree days to -30 degree nights
        Last edited by terasec; 12-11-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I would avoid the military surplus. My first choices would be a springbar or Kodiak canvas tent, 12x12 no smaller You could also look at outfitters tents, such as Davis or Reliable tent and tipi.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

As long as you're not hiking in, my recommendation would be the 10 x 14 Kodiak Deluxe. Pegging 'em down is the hard part, after that they set up easier than any cabin tent I've owned. A nice, durable tent with a nearly indestructible floor.

Comment

Working...
            X