serious tent for rain AND warm weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serious tent for rain AND warm weather

I want a serious tent that can handle rain AND warm weather. We’ve got three young kids and live in the South, which is usually warm and humid with lots of rain but can get down into the 30s or worse in the winter (we camp in all seasons). I currently have a Eureka Equinox 4, which isn’t big enough and doesn’t handle rain all that well. What I do like about it, however, is that it has two large windows that have full interior covers, and a door that has a full interior cover, such that you can completely zip up the tent or zip it down to near the ground on three sides (of a hexagon). That feature seems to have gone missing in virtually all new tents.
    We have camped as much as a full week, but most of our camping is weekends, so canvas tents probably are more trouble for us than they are worth (things don’t usually dry out quickly here).
    It seems to be common wisdom that the rainfly should cover the entire tent, but we have flexibility to get airflow at the same time. Big Agnes Chimney Creek 6 seems to do this with the vestibule and upper vents, but does not allow full privacy and cold weather insulation due to uncovered screening (unless the rain fly is fully engaged). Kelty Trail Ridge 6 or 8 almost works but has a lot of screen that you cannot cover in cold weather. At least in our Equinox we can fully cover all screens when it’s cold. Big Agnes Tensleep Station Tent 6 has only screen for the front door (and a vestibule that does not go completely down to the ground), plus having entry on the short side. Cabela's Guardian 6 is criticized for lack of air flow – a dealstopper. REI Base Camp 6 has a half-screened door and yet still poor ventilation, according to the reviews. Marmot Halo is the right size and shape but has the half doors and a vestibule that doesn’t go all the way to the ground.
    Floor should be rectangular or square, around 100 sq. ft. If rectangular, the door(s) should be on the long side, so you aren’t stepping over people. Hex shape tent is fine for a couple of people but inefficient for 5. I don’t like the configuration of the REI Kingdom 6 tent and have read enough negative comments about how it handles storms, which we get a lot of.
    Aluminum poles!
    It’s sad that for $300-$600 you still have to make major compromises and go for the one with the least bad features. A common refrain in the reviews was that the older model of this tent or that tent did not have such and such negative feature. What’s that economic term for cheapening the quality of a product over time, to minimize price increases?
    Thanks.

Re: serious tent for rain AND warm weather

You might take a look at the PahaQue Pamo Valley XD tent. It is a 10x10 cabin style tent that is about 7 1/2' high in the middle area for lots of standing room. The top is all mesh (under the rain fly) and the windows and doors are huge, so it has excellent ventilation. Poles are aluminum, and the fabric is thick. I just bought one a few weeks ago and only used in once so far in fairly cold weather. I can't speak for its rain or high wind performance yet, but it's definitely more of a warm weather tent than a cold weather one. Good luck with your search.

Comment

Gary K. I also live in the South and understand your concerns. However I do not have much to offer you that you do not already know. I am following the post though for sure! I just bought the big agnes big house 6. What is your take on this particular tent? I haven't camped in it yet but I have gotten pretty good reviews from ppl that have used them. Looking forward to putting mine to use! Good luck.

Comment

I have the kingdom six and we've had good. We've roughed out some pretty windy storms with no leakage or collapsing (one of the worst being during our six day stay at Ft Pickens--heavy storms while being situated between the gulf and the bay). I think it's important to note that even some great tents won't weather a storm if they're set up facing the wrong direction. BUT, if you don't like the layout itself, that's gonna kill it for you. We fit great, and the garage is spectacular.

I hope you find what you're looking for!
        Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
        Nights under the stars:
        2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
        2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I just bought a virtually unused REI Base Camp 6 for $200 ($430 at REI), notwithstanding the concerns about ventilation and the lack of a "double door," because I thought the price made it worth a shot compared with everything else. I got tired of looking at every tent I could find on the internet for hours. What I discovered is that EVERY TENTMAKER has gone cheap, no longer offering "double doors" (screen and panel, fully zippered) and double windows. At least the Base Camp has a rectangular footprint with the door on the long side. I figure I will find its weather sweet-spot and use it for those conditions, and maybe go for a 4 season tent for cold weather. Until I spotted this Craigslist ad, I was on the verge of settling (it was a compromise) on the Big Agnes Flying Diamond, although I wasn't thrilled about its footprint shape and length. At least it seems to have a proper double door and front face.

Comment

In my opinion, you can beat rain in almost any tent with a properly hung tarp. It can get tricky learning how to get an oversized tarp up in a way that it won't collect water, but once you get it, it's simple. With a tarp, the tent doesn't have to be buttoned up and can be left open to ventilate - nice when it's muggy and wet out.

Comment

Great thread. I myself am looking for a rugged family camping tent for all seasons. Have you looked at the Outwell tents? Air inflated frame opposed to standard poles? I like what I see on their website and youtube, but have yet to see convincing reviews. My next choice is the kingdom 8.

Comment

Correction: REI Base Camp 6 has the doors on the short side, not the long side. Now that I have the tent up, I no longer think that's such a big issue, especially with two doors. However, the fabric on the tent seems pretty thin, especially the netting, which already has four or five tiny holes. Also, the poles are extremely long (I know it's a big tent). I hope they don't end up getting bent. Still, it's worth the $200 I paid.

I haven't given a serious look at UK tents such as the Outwells, just because of location. I do think it's interesting the dominance of the tunnel design there, a design that is rare in the US. I wonder why that is.

Comment

Some bend to aluminum poles is natural as they "settle in" over time. To prevent severe bending that results in pole damage, always use the fly. Use the velcro tabs to attach the fly to the poles and always guy out every spot allowed.

Should a pole get damaged, a company called Tent Pole Technologies can reproduce almost any tent's size/material of pole or even just a single pole segment.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
                    Air inflated frame opposed to standard poles?
                    I can't see me ever going to an inflatable frame tent. Even with a repair kit, some failures could be next to impossible to fix in the field. With fiberglass or aluminum poles there's almost always a way to get by with some duct tape and some sort of splint.

Comment

I've found little value in most on-line reviews, especially for tents, they always seem to contain questionable comments for the many products we've bought, based on the reviews we read vs. our own experience in the field. I read magnificent commentary for obvious garbage, and to me that spells b-i-a-s friends.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        I've found little value in most on-line reviews, especially for tents...
                        I agree with that for sites like Amazon or any of the department store type sites where they allow any Joe Blow to review products. But sites that are dedicated to camping and outdoor gear, like REI.com, Backpacker.com or Trailspace.com, where they allow user reviews, I have more trust in those. While it's still true that shills can get in, for the most part, the people doing the reviews on those sites appear to be the real deal. Actual campers relating their experiences with no hesitation in pointing out the flaws they find.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary K View Post

I do think it's interesting the dominance of the tunnel design there, a design that is rare in the US. I wonder why that is.
                          I kind of wonder that myself - the tunnel or some variation thereof is a good design.
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Gary K View Post
                            I want a serious tent that can handle rain AND warm weather. We’ve got three young kids and live in the South, which is usually warm and humid with lots of rain but can get down into the 30s or worse in the winter (we camp in all seasons).
                            I wouldn't rule out canvas. While many people think canvas doesn't do well in hot weather, it's actually better than synthetics. Usually white or a light shade to begin with, it reflects sunlight. Then, because of the thicker fabric, it tends to insulate rather than let heat pass through to the inside. Find a canvas tent with a lot of mesh and you're good to go. The VX model Kodiaks weren't available when I bought mine so it doesn't have the side mesh like the VX models do, but it does just fine in hot weather with the four windows it does have. But, as always, I do keep a light color tarp over it which definitely helps things. As for the rain, the days of "touch wet canvas and start a leak" seem to be over. There are blends now that put that worry to rest. Then, on the cold side of things, the insulating quality of canvas is why I bought the Kodiak in the first place. I had a canvas tent back the in 70s and over a dozen nylon tents since then and, at least to me, nothing compares to canvas for the cold.
                            Last edited by MacGyver; 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Whatever brand Kmart or WalMart or a store like that has will work fine for you.
                              Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

Working...
                              X