Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for family tent for two adults, 15 yr. old and 12 yr. old

wiiawiwb,

How do you like your SMD? I have the lunar solo, and I love it. I think the duo would be a virtual palace and still not too hefty.

I'm still trying to figure out your acronym, btw. Something to do with WTSHTF, or TEOTWAWKI, something like that?
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I like it a lot. It is very roomy, as backpacking tents go, and allows for a nice breeze. The key is to be able to use hiking poles (or substitutes) and fasten them down so the tent is tight. I'm claustrophobic and use this tent for just me and gear. Given that proclivity, if I wanted a tent for two people, I'd get the Hogback by TarpTent.
      Moss Big Dipper
      Alaskan Guide 8
      Alaskan Guide 6
      NorthFace Tadpole 23
      ALPS Exteme 3
      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I'll have to look that one up. I was leaning towards the GG SpinnTwin.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

If the GGST is something you're considering, then the Hogback won't be for you. Two completely different tents. The Hogback is substantially heavier but it is significantly roomier and doesn't require hiking poles.

If you like the GGST, then I would look very hard at:

The ZPacks Duplex or Triplex. Quality tents and light as a feather.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelters.shtml

The TT Stratospire 2. Super roomy and lots of gear storage space with two large vestibules:

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

The Trailstar from MLD. Unique design won it numerous awards. Low but very roomy. Check out YouTube videos:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...x.php?cPath=51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc480j2jScI

The DuoMid, SpeedMid or SuperMid also from MLD. Their mids are the ones by which all others are measured.

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/n...0226&noquote=1

One of the Luna tents from BearPaw. Less expensive than MLD and they will also customize it if you need or want.

http://bearpawwd.com/tents/tents.php

Kirafu tipis. High quality but pricey:

https://store.kifaru.net/tipis-c18.aspx
          Last edited by wiiawiwb; 09-07-2015, 08:32 AM.
          Moss Big Dipper
          Alaskan Guide 8
          Alaskan Guide 6
          NorthFace Tadpole 23
          ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

I noticed that Cabelas has a Blackwood 3 room cabin tent that's 10 x 20, anyone have any knowledge on this tent? The price is around 300.00 but I'm concerned if it would be a good water proof tent?

Comment

The fly is only rated to 1,000mm. By comparison, the Alaskan Guide and Guardian are 2,000mm. Also, I would never consider any tent whose fly did not go all the way to the ground. The Backwoods has four cut out areas that are open. I wouldn't like that.

In a medium afternoon's rain it might we fine but I wouldn't want to test it in a three-day rain.

I'm not sure where you got the $300 price mentioned above but on Cabela's site it is $600.
              Moss Big Dipper
              Alaskan Guide 8
              Alaskan Guide 6
              NorthFace Tadpole 23
              ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

Spoke with my wife yesterday on getting a family tent, she asked about the coleman that we've had for nearly 20 yrs. and I told her that the floor had holes in it and it leaked, so she wants to get rid of all the old tents if we buy a new one. I think she liked the idea in paying 300.00 to 400.00 on a Browning Big Horn than on the Kodiak, I told her that the Kodiak would be a tent we could pass down to our kids if we take care of it. She always states that I always have to spend a lot of money and get the best, but I always try to inform her that sometimes you have to spend a little more to get something that will last more than a year or so. I think or hope that she'll come around, shes just stating we'll see.

Comment

Bingo,

I know what it's like to not buy good sporting good equipment by justifying that it costs to much. So I buy the lesser item which wasn't what I wanted in the first place. Invariably, that piece of equipment does not perform to expectation and I end up having to face the music again. If I decide again not to spring for the better one I could find myself buying again and spending more money than if I bought well from the beginning. I also would not have enjoyed myself along the way.

I've regretted spending too much on a luxurious dinner or clothing but I've never regretted getting the best outdoor equipment I could afford. It will be lighter, faster, or protect better and all of those results I can live with and enjoy.
                  Moss Big Dipper
                  Alaskan Guide 8
                  Alaskan Guide 6
                  NorthFace Tadpole 23
                  ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

Fishing rods. It was fishing rods that taught me something I'd heard for years but always chose to ignore.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                      Bingo,

I know what it's like to not buy good sporting good equipment by justifying that it costs to much. So I buy the lesser item which wasn't what I wanted in the first place. Invariably, that piece of equipment does not perform to expectation and I end up having to face the music again. If I decide again not to spring for the better one I could find myself buying again and spending more money than if I bought well from the beginning. I also would not have enjoyed myself along the way.

I've regretted spending too much on a luxurious dinner or clothing but I've never regretted getting the best outdoor equipment I could afford. It will be lighter, faster, or protect better and all of those results I can live with and enjoy.
                      In general I do agree with the idea that spending more often equals better quality but this is not always the case and I do feel that what you are defining a situation when you know the quality of each item being compared. There are also times when spending more means more bells and whistles that may or may not be of benefit to you and even some occasions where higher cost does not necessarily mean better quality. The best thing you can do for yourself when purchasing anything is to be well educated on your choices before making a decision.

Comment

I agree. Sometimes, you just need the basic model; spending more to get all the bells & whistles is not cost effective. Other times, you don't need it to last 5 lifetimes you just need it to last 5 years. And other times, you pray to the gremlins to destroy the darn thing so you can get something new.

Will it last forever only matters if you will use it forever. If you will want a new tent in 5 years because there is new technology, your life situation has changed, or you just want a change, then buying something expensive that will last forever isn't always a better deal.

Case in point: I could spend $1000 on a really quality coat. It is very well made, has a timeless style, and will last forever. Great, but in 10 years, I am so tired of the coat that I never want to see it again. That coat cost me $100 per year before I got rid of it. I could have bought a new coat (that would last 2 years) each year for $80 and i'd have saved money and had at least 2 coats to choose between.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          Case in point: I could spend $1000 on a really quality coat.

You are doing better than I am!
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I think that unless I can come up with another family tent to try out the Browning Big Horn for around 250.00 has my vote. Of coarse my 15 yr old likes the idea of sleeping under a screen top in good weather, however I'm a little hesitant due to it having fiberglass structure, I believe the poles are aluminum but I've read that fiberglass can break and splinter easier than other pole material. Also the fly only goes down so far, unless I get a waterproof tarp and place over the tent? Still like the Kodiak Canvas 10 x 14 and the 8 person Marmot tent---liked the reviews on you tube. Mainly need a good tent that will house 2 queen air mattress and have plenty of family room for those rainy days. I've still got plenty of time and I'm still looking and looking for that perfect tent for us as a family!

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              MacGyver - I am very curious to know how those screws work out. There was research done on the BPL website that indicated that pegs with flat surfaces performed better than cylindrical pegs. I don't think anybody except you has ever considered screws.
                              Love the Spax bolts! I finally got out over the past weekend and found myself at a site that was mostly packed clay, making pounding the stakes in for the Kodiak all but impossible. Broke out the bolts and was very pleased with the results. Drill on low speed for torque and, except for a couple that had to be angled a bit to avoid rocks, they went straight in. I tried pulling them out with a pair of Visegrips and they definitely seemed to have more hold than any peg I've ever used. Not sure if that had something to do with the clay or not, but when I got home I had to set the tent up to make sure it was dry after some rain. They still kept a firm grip on things in the softer soil in my backyard.
                              Last edited by MacGyver; 10-03-2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X